986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Driving up the coast on the 1 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15424-driving-up-coast-1-a.html)

silverboxter 02-14-2008 06:26 PM

Driving up the coast on the 1

Just got back from a quick trip up to Monterey. Took the 101 to the 1 in San Luis Obispo. The 1 is an incredible drive in a topless S. Good times!

cas951 02-14-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverboxter
Just got back from a quick trip up to Monterey. Took the 101 to the 1 in San Luis Obispo. The 1 is an incredible drive in a topless S. Good times!

I did this drive in March last year. I didn't have the Boxster S yet but it was still a beatiful drive. Started from 17 to Santa Cruz and headed south on 1 all the way to Cambria. Spent the night there, went to Hurst Castle. On the way back from Cambria I took the "Santa Rosa Creek road" to Hwy 46. it's a long twisty back road thru secluded farmland and hillside scenery. Very nice road to drive. You should have at least 2 cars when doing this drive since the road is so secluded.

dedes 02-14-2008 07:36 PM

Hello Cas951 and silverboxster

Here is the tour down PCH1 to Morro Bay that Gerry hosted. (aka as unklekraker)

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8886&highlight=morro

Cheers

Maybe Gerry will do the tour again. Cas....ask him.
(hi gerry) :D

dede

unklekraker 02-14-2008 08:06 PM

hmmmm...i might just do that again..hehehehehe!

this time i will make sure that the weather is nice :)

Benny986 02-14-2008 11:42 PM

great drive.

we were in santa barbara, and thought it would be a good idea to take the 1 home. BAD idea. took it all the way to monterey

it was soo tiring. its great to be the passenger though : )

I think what you did is the best, you get the scenery, and the nice twisties, and about the right amount of it. our drive was just NUTS!

cas951 02-15-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unklekraker
hmmmm...i might just do that again..hehehehehe!

this time i will make sure that the weather is nice :)

Gerry. Home boy. Let's do it.

When I did that drive i was in the lexus so it wasn't as fun.

pbanders 02-15-2008 08:02 AM

I'm jealous. I lived in the SF Bay Area for 15 years, I had my 914, but not my Boxster or my M3. Driving in the Santa Cruz mountains and on Hwy. 1 was simply incredible. I used to take the 914 up to Mendocino in the late '80's, I'd drive the whole way from Marin up to Mendocino on Hwy. 1, a fantastic winding drive for hours on end. I'd love to take the Boxster on the same route, but that might be a bit of a long drive from here in Phoenix....

unklekraker 02-15-2008 09:48 AM

hey cas, for sure we will do it as soon as I obtain my kitchen pass for 08' spring/summer this weekend :D

cas951 02-15-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unklekraker
hey cas, for sure we will do it as soon as I obtain my kitchen pass for 08' spring/summer this weekend :D

How about April. My wife will be in Thailand for 2 weeks. That should count for a 2 week pass right?

unklekraker 02-15-2008 12:02 PM

I think april sounds good. :cheers:

we'll work on the details as it get closer..

ROMES 02-15-2008 11:49 PM

Monterey to Cambria/San Luis gives me anxiety like im gonna fall over the cliffs hahaha... and driving it alone...ya feel like im in a horror movie where some redneck inbred nuclear hills that have eyes are gonna pop my tires and attack me out on the lonely road :ah: haha...

But i'll be down for the drive :cheers:

bigb 02-16-2008 06:09 PM

April's too far guys. Let us have a practice drive sooner ;)

unklekraker 02-20-2008 06:18 AM

I've earned my kitchen pass this weekend and after my moved and get settled, we need to do a practice drive up there!

NorCal/Bay Area owners, get your thinking hat on!

Uncle Bob 02-20-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbanders
I'm jealous. I lived in the SF Bay Area for 15 years, I had my 914, but not my Boxster or my M3. Driving in the Santa Cruz mountains and on Hwy. 1 was simply incredible. I used to take the 914 up to Mendocino in the late '80's, I'd drive the whole way from Marin up to Mendocino on Hwy. 1, a fantastic winding drive for hours on end. I'd love to take the Boxster on the same route, but that might be a bit of a long drive from here in Phoenix....

Oak Creek Canyon on 89 is nice. Yeah it will never beat CA 1 but hey, you're a long ways away! Man I do miss CA 1. I spent hours on it.