986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ran car with car cover on temp light came on (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15394-ran-car-car-cover-temp-light-came.html)

rd400rz 02-11-2008 10:36 PM

ran car with car cover on temp light came on

I ran my 98 boxster the other day in the garage with the car cover on I uncovered the back and left the front of the cover on dumb me must of blocked the air to the fans I let it run in the garage for about 25 minutes and the temp light was on when I came out to check on it ,it was at the half way mark on the gauge with the red warning light on hope I did not hurt anything ? also it was very cold here in MN about 0 degrees out but the car was in the garage

bmussatti 02-12-2008 03:12 AM

Don't know if you did damage.

I recommend just plugging in the battery maintainer, and not starting the car until the Spring.

insite 02-12-2008 03:18 AM

you said the guage was about halfway? like just past 180? that's normal temperature. when the light at the end of the guage comes on, it means you're low on coolant. as cold as you say it was, i doubt if the car actually got very hot. the real danger in letting a car idle for long periods of time is in the catalytic converter overheating.

rd400rz 02-12-2008 09:01 AM

98 boxster

To the guy that said let it sit till spring I still say it is good to start the car every few weeks when you let stuff sit thats when problems start happening like seals leaking etc

insite 02-12-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd400rz
To the guy that said let it sit till spring I still say it is good to start the car every few weeks when you let stuff sit thats when problems start happening like seals leaking etc

agreed 1000%

bmussatti 02-12-2008 12:01 PM

Insite and Rd400rz, all I can say regarding winter storage is simply look at your Owner's Manual and nowhere in there does Porsche say to run the engine every month for X amount of time.

To each his own. So far I have had excellent results with my winter storage routine. :)

insite 02-12-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Insite and Rd400rz, all I can say regarding winter storage is simply look at your Owner's Manual and nowhere in there does Porsche say to run the engine every month for X amount of time.

To each his own. So far I have had excellent results with my winter storage routine. :)

i don't think it says that in any manual, but if you let any car sit for 20yrs, the motor will lock up (drastic example). when your car sits, seals can dry out & material creep can deform parts. fluids can separate, sediment can form. there are all sorts of nasty stuff that can happen when a car just sits there. IMO, you're better off starting it up now and then than not.