986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Buying a 2005 Boxster S - Quick Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15378-buying-2005-boxster-s-quick-question.html)

greg9ball 02-11-2008 06:47 AM

Buying a 2005 Boxster S - Quick Question

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and I'm glad to have found this site. I drove a 2005 Boxster S and fell in love! WOW. It was like a revelation. Now I get it! Now I have to have it.

Anyway, I found one that I am very interested in purchasing. It drove amazing and I love it.

The car had a loud ticking sound at idle. Is that a normal sound for this car? I have not heard other boxsters, so I can not make a comparison. I will appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

bmussatti 02-11-2008 07:07 AM

Greg, whether you decide to purchse this car, or a different Boxster, make sure you get a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) done by a qualified Porsche shop. It can be a dealership or an indy shop. Expect to pay a couple hundred dollars.

A little bit of tapping or ticking noise at start-up is normal. Especially from a cold start. Should only last a few seconds, until there is good oil flow and pressure.

It should not be "loud" (as you describe) and all the time. You need to get this checked-up and better understood. Could be as simple as low oil or even the wrong oil viscosity (should be Mobil 1 0W40). Could also be more major like a damaged or stuck lifter.

Try to find another 2005 Boxster, and listen to how it sounds for a comparision.

Once you get a better understanding, and know whether it is an issue or not, proceed with caution. If everything checks-out OK, and the noise still bothers you, get a louder exhaust! :)

dcporsche99 02-11-2008 10:32 AM

+1 on what bmussatti said!

Also, there are SO MANY boxsters out there for sale that you might want to consider driving a few of them before you make your selection. It's easy to get caught up in the "WOW" factor----so, take your time and make a good choice and DEFINITELY GET A PPI!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :cheers:

EE3racing 02-11-2008 11:42 AM

If the engine has sat without running it could just be a sticky valve, mine did it last spring for the first few outings then went back to normal.

mikefocke 02-11-2008 11:54 AM

I notice

you are in NC. If you need any help and are anywhere near, I'm in Sanford.

Read this for some ideas on buying a Boxster. While it applies specifically to the 986 (first Boxster model, not the 2005 987) enough of the ideas are appropriate to buying a 987 for it to be useful.

mike.fockeATgmailDOTcom