Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 05:07 AM   #1

Radio cutout

I have an 03 Boxster with the CDR23 sound system. Lately (last few months) the system will cut out momentarily every 10-15 minutes. It's only a split-second hiccup, but it happens with either the radio or CD. No apparent electrical interruption anywhere else in the car at the same time. Any ideas before I let the dealer have a go at it?

Thanks.

buckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
Forum Contributor

i think i am having the same problem with my 97 Boxster, few weks ago it was a small hiccup but with time things got worse and then i started having them more. the weird thing is that i think this happens after i drive the car for a while.... it does not happen when i first start it in the morning.
if you got yours fixed please let me know what was the problem.
thanks
FL Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 AM   #3

I have a brand new 04 and had the same problem. They replaced the amp and radio, but it still happens time to time.???
Jeffrey776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #4

FL Boxster-

I have this on my 97 also, I have not had time to read all the tech bulletins [just got them two day's ago.]

I do believe it is battery related, The battery can not handle the entire load of the car and you will see a dip in the lights and a cutout in the radio. I am not 100% on this though, because it is very brief for me.

It happens when the engine lugs down upon not applying enough gas during shifting [for me].

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Forum Contributor

Scott yeah it happens when i downshift too
FL Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
Lux

There's a couple of different issues that cause similiar things here I think.

1. I've only read about this so I don't know how valid it is but I'll pass it on since I haven't seen it mentioned... On newer cars with the MOST fiber optic bus system, the radio sometimes loses it's ability to send data to the amp. The radio will look like it's working fine (display lit, etc) but there will be no sound output. After shutting the car off and restarting after 10 minutes everything is back to normal. This has happened to me once. Supposedly, there is a TSB on this and Porsche will replace the amp.

2. There is usually some kind of air/idle control valve that regulates the idle on most cars. If the car wants to die between shifts this sounds like it could be the culprit. Other symptoms include erratic idle while stopped and/or erratic idle after turning on the ac. I'm not too familiar with the Boxster yet but this has happened on my other cars and I'm guessing the Boxster works in a similiar fashion.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #7

Thanks Lux,

But nope on the fiber on mine [don't have it - came out later]

My idle is steady and strong, but I have all the tech bulletins, so I will check that out.

Thanks,
Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cruzmssle Send a message via Yahoo to cruzmssle
Count me in too. On my 01 it seems like every few weeks it will also "hiccup" while a CD is playing and go to the radio. Thought maybe the CD was skipping but it has done it even when im at a stoplight. Not a big problem(yet) but just kind of odd...my two cents!
cruzmssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:17 AM   #9

Sounds like there's a couple of different problems that have come up in this thread. Just to be clear, my original post focuses only on the momentary hiccup, which I have not been able to link to anything yet. I can't recall it occurring during idle, but it certainly has happened while cruising along (no shifts either way). It happens about as fast as blinking your eyes.
buckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 AM   #10

My 03 has experience this too . . .
Old 10-12-2004, 01:11 PM   #11

If you have a 2003/04 with MOST, most messed up sound system, then just take it to the dealer. There have been so many problems and bulletins issued that I no longer pay attention.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote