Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 05:14 AM   #1

Newbies first post

Well I don't wanna get raked over the coals for not introducing myself in proper fasion.
Before anybody asks, yes I am the same Rick V from pelican, and Dorkiphus. I am a mechanic in Charlotesville and I specialize in Euro cars. I bought the 97 Boxster for my wife a little while ago but I can see another one filling a spot in the driveway. the more I drive this thing the more I love it. The car and I had a rather strong bonding experiance on a big event on the Dragon last nov. (I am one of the people who put on the Nov. Dragon event that we advertise on the Pelican forum)
I also have an 82sc, her name is Lanna, a 71 rehab project, that I just recieved and am getting ready to throw all my spare money and time at.

Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #2

Glad you made it over here Rick.

Welcome aboard.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #3

Welcome...Glad to have you!

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

Welcome aboard Rick. Always good to have mechanics aboard

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

Good to have you aboard.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #6

Smile

hey rick! damned proud to know ya! go ahead and get another box. we did and couldn't be happier. we love having "his" and "hers". Hans and Helga fill the garage nicely.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #7

Unfortunately, we've discontinued coal raking on this forum. It was great fun. Welcome aboard. There's an excellent group of people here. Pictures of your rides are required when time permits.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #8

Welcome, welcome! Don't be in too big a hurry about pics. Just start dishing out free advice as soon as possible.
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 02-09-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #9

Thanks Ya'll.
Go Army
Old 02-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #10

Rick_V, how about a few words on the differences between the Boxster and the SC. Has Porsche improved (changed?) since the production of the '82SC?? I used to have an '83SC, but cannot do a back to back comparision, so I would be very interested in your comments.
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #11

I had a 1977S and I decided to sell it for a Boxster S. The reason was because it was a daily driver and the Boxster was a much better car for that and I was speaking about the heat and air conditioning as the main topics. In the 911 I would also have the smell of burned oil on me when I got home. If we are talking performance to put it brief the 911 was better at braking and giving you the feel of the road and the Boxster is better in acceleration and recovery in the corners. Also I am starting to feel that the old 911 will age better than the Boxster.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Driver
Rick_V, how about a few words on the differences between the Boxster and the SC. Has Porsche improved (changed?) since the production of the '82SC?? I used to have an '83SC, but cannot do a back to back comparision, so I would be very interested in your comments.
Sure I get this question all the time. I like to first point out that this is an apples/oranges type of thing, so I like to break it down in sections. The following is all my opinion and should be viewed as such. I also need to point out that there is 15 years between the cars, although the milage is close. 93k on the boxster, and 130k on the SC. I will do my best to answer.
1: Engine/drivetrain. The Boxster is quick, it turns up very fast, and will bang the rev limiter with little effort, the trans is also quick and the shift patern is spaced very well for my liking. the engine just purrs, and sounds like an Italian car at the higher R's. (where it lives when I get to drive it)
The SC is strong fron 1500rpm and up. This is where it blows the Boxster out of the water. It goes on forever with little to no "powerbanding" and almost endless torque. (My CIS injection is 100%) The trans is balky, and fast shifting will never happen, so the Boxster wins here.
2: Suspention, this is where the biggest comparison gap is. As Ya'll know the Boxster is very happy being thrown around, leaning on the swaybars and enjoying 4wheel powerslides. It is very predictable, and will go where it it asked to, without objection. I like showing off and drifting the car. (I'm a 43 year old kid)
The 911 is not a car to drive asleep or with one hand. It requires constant attention, and a very intentional hand. This car will bite you in the hind quaters the second you feel comfortable. You need to be ontop of the 911 every second. You can also forget about muscleing the car around. It is a finess type of ride but, when it works right it is a thing af beauty that will give you a severe case of automotive wood that will last a long time. In this dept, I vote the 911 hands down. I should also point out, that it took me over 40k to feel like I can handle the car. The Boxster I bonded with very fast. It is well heeled, the 911 is not.
3: Brakes. The Boxster wins hands down, no further comment needed.
4: Comfort. I am 6-4 so I find the headroom in the Boxster very nice. Other than that I find the cars to be about the same. I can drive both for several hours non-stop and not feel tired.
I will leave the subjct of looks in a no comment type of thing. Ya;ll know what they look like.
To sum up the cars, I would never recomend to anybody that they sell a Boxster to buy a 911. But if I could only have 1 it would be the 911. I would encourage everybody to have both. I love having options, and the cars are so diff. they will fill whatever urge you might have.
I hope this helps.
Go Army
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #13

Smile

Welcome Rick.. I'm from near Danville, VA. Do you work on Boxsters specifically ? It is indeed nice to have a mechanic on board. Anyway, welcome !!
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #14

Rick_V, I really did laugh out loud when I read..... "This car will bite you in the hind quaters the second you feel comfortable. You need to be ontop of the 911 every second. You can also forget about muscleing the car around. It is a finess type of ride but, when it works right it is a thing af beauty that will give you a severe case of automotive wood that will last a long time." I have vivid recall of the first time I viewed the on-coming road through the driver side window (a wee bit of oversteer).... and then the feeling of getting the 911 perfectly balanced on the exit of a corner.
Thanks for the summary.
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
Welcome Rick.. I'm from near Danville, VA. Do you work on Boxsters specifically ? It is indeed nice to have a mechanic on board. Anyway, welcome !!
Well howdy neighbor. (sort of) I work on many lines, my Porsche base is growing, and Boxsters are a part of it. They are realy easy cars to work on, once you get all the covers out of the way. If you need help you know where to find me. I recon we are only 2 hours apart...............................RAOD TRIP!
And DD your welcome.
Go Army
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #16

Hey Rick V,

Good to have you on board!!

+1 on pics (of both cars please)
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #17

Welcome aboard and thanks for the insightful remarks. Looking forward to reading future posts.

_________
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #18

Hey Rick.. imagine seeing you here You'll be sure to get lots of feedback and advice to your Boxster questions here. Heck, someone may even have a CDR 220 faceplate
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Hey Rick.. imagine seeing you here You'll be sure to get lots of feedback and advice to your Boxster questions here. Heck, someone may even have a CDR 220 faceplate
And you thought I didn't know how to follow dierctions. Thanks for the heads up Rich. This seems like a good bunch.
Oh and by the way people, I can give ya a few good laughs about our friend Racer D.
Just kidding
Go Army
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V
It is a finess type of ride but, when it works right it is a thing af beauty that will give you a severe case of automotive wood that will last a long time.
I am going to re-use this line someday. Don't know when, but I will.

Welcome to the Forum.