986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Should I make a move? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15301-should-i-make-move.html)

peakpro 02-04-2008 09:04 AM

Should I make a move?

I own an 04 986 base boxster. It has 36,000 miles on it. Options are heated seats, 17 in wheels, alarm, windstopand cruise control. It is carmon red.

My dealer has an CPO 05 987 base boxster with 17000 miles on it. It has heated seats, sound package plus, preferred package and windstop. It is seal gray.

My dealer has someone interested in my car and the have offered me the 05 for my car and what I consider a reasonable amount of cash . (Less than the galves amounts when plugged in for the two cars.)

Thoughts?

How much would you think is reasonable?

thanks

PS...I have driven several "S" versons and with my driving the base is just fine.

edevlin 02-04-2008 09:16 AM

I guess if it were me, it would depend on how much I liked the current car, its color, options, how it feels and how much I had bonded to it. I am pleased with my 2000 base, so I would be reluctant to go to a 987 base.

Seems like some of us tend to want something just because it's newer or in some way "better". I know I do, from time to time I think about getting an "S". But then I took to the back roads with my base base boxster this weekend, and it sure has a great ride and is fast enough to get me into as much trouble as I can handle....

Ed

:cheers:

peakpro 02-04-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edevlin
I guess if it were me, it would depend on how much I liked the current car, its color, options, how it feels and how much I had bonded to it. I am pleased with my 2000 base, so I would be reluctant to go to a 987 base.

Seems like some of us tend to want something just because it's newer or in some way "better". I know I do, from time to time I think about getting an "S". But then I took to the back roads with my base base boxster this weekend, and it sure has a great ride and is fast enough to get me into as much trouble as I can handle....

Ed

:cheers:

Very good points...thanks

I think what is attracting me more to the 987 is the safety features...PSM, side curtains etc.

racer_d 02-04-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peakpro
I own an 04 986 base boxster. It has 36,000 miles on it. Options are heated seats, 17 in wheels, alarm, windstopand cruise control. It is carmon red.

My dealer has an CPO 05 987 base boxster with 17000 miles on it. It has heated seats, sound package plus, preferred package and windstop. It is seal gray.

My dealer has someone interested in my car and the have offered me the 05 for my car and a what I consider a reasonable amount of cash . (Less than the galves amounts when plugged in for the two cars.)

Thoughts?

How much would you think is reasonable?

thanks

PS...I have driven several "S" versons and with my driving the base is just fine.

The dealer is there to make money. He is interested in selling an '05. He also knows someone who likely said they couldn't afford an 05 and he thought of you, with an 04. Maybe he knows you were interested in selling? I can't imagine the dealer buying the car from you for more than a book value. What is the *real* price of the '05? You might find its not as good a deal as it sounds over the phone.

Yes, take this as a grain of salt in not trusting everyone who wants to sell you something.

tbplayer22 02-04-2008 12:06 PM

During the I/S bust in 2002 I was desperate and took a job as a car salesman. One key word of advise. Do not trust any car salesman anywhere. They are all scoundrels and should not be trusted. I quit the car sales business in less then a month. They are taught to rape you and to make you feel good about the rap so that you suggest to other people to go get raped by them. Although I do have to say it is not their fault, but rather the way the car sales business model is setup. They have no choice, but to try to take you.

Talk to your loved ones about the situation and listen to what they have to say. Don't go on the word of a car salesman.

saaber 02-04-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
The dealer is there to make money.

This is a good point in general as one wants to beware of the classic dealer trick of them offering you what appears to be a lot of money for your car in a trade when you are in fact just overpaying for the other car vs. no trade.

But I think this comes down to only one question (assuming colors, options, and maintenance history are all equal value to you): How much is an upgrade from a 986 to a 987 worth to you?

If you will think you will be definately antsy for a 987 for the next few years and the numbers feel right, I would go for the 987. If you would be just fine driving the 986 for the next few years and would enjoy it almost as much as the 987, that makes it a lot harder to justify the price difference. Some poeple find it helpful to quantify these "subjective" questions, (such as how much more is a 987 worth to me than a 986).

For example, I decided a long time ago that a car with excellent, documented maintenance history is worth up to 30% more to me than the same car without the documented maintenance history. That's my own rule I made for my own reasons. similarly, it may be helpful to quantify how much the upgrade is worth to you. Just some thoughts, feel free to ignore.

fatmike 02-04-2008 02:06 PM

Better safety equipment.

Lower miles.

Longer/better warranty?

Newer model with lots of subtle (and not so subtle) improvements.

Better options.

That's a lot of stuff. Maybe $8-$10K in cash? Your making us guess. What's the dealer asking and have you listed out the "pros vs. cons"?

AUDIOGUY 02-04-2008 02:14 PM

Go for it!! It is a nice car.. you will most certainly fall in love with it just like your 04'
Best of luck!

peakpro 02-05-2008 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmike
Better safety equipment.

Lower miles.

Longer/better warranty?

Newer model with lots of subtle (and not so subtle) improvements.

Better options.

That's a lot of stuff. Maybe $8-$10K in cash? Your making us guess. What's the dealer asking and have you listed out the "pros vs. cons"?

everyone...thanks for all the responses...

with fees, and taxes I am looking at around 7-8K....when i check out galves and KBB and the like it is not out of line....I have test driven the car once and will do so again this week....

Burg Boxster 02-05-2008 05:39 AM

peakpro-

IMNSHO $7-8K cash difference is too much - especially if it's closer to $8K. Even w/ CPO (assume a "value" of $1800) and taxes of 7% (paid only on the spread), that's a big difference for just one MY. The numbers used on the street to calculate values don't recognize there's a difference b/w 986 and 987 models. If you like it, then by all means, go for it. To me though, it seems high - especially since "they have someone interested in your car" ;) ;) .