Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 06:13 AM   #1

Question BRA LOGIC - Help!!!

Just took delivery of my new Black Boxster, and now I am terrified of road rash on the nose.

What is the latest thinking on nose and side mirrow bras?

I had heard that the vibration between the hood and bra causes more damage to the paint than does the occassional road rocks?

What does eveyone eles think?

If they work it seems well worth the $200 or so dollars to save the paint!

Thanks, these cars kick butt! Absolutely the best of the three Porsches I have owned!!!

sturgedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 07:40 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

The clear plastic ones which are semi-permanent are a newer technology which is very popular now. I had the treatment done to my car on delivery, and there are no dings where it is installed. The cons are that it is expensive ($600), and always visible (although not too ugly).

Prudent use (never get wet, never allow to get dirty, etc.) of a regular bra is a decent solution but I don't care for them myself.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

I have never had any problem with using a bra, or harming the paint, although the bra is only used for long trips or freeway driving, and is never left on in the wet. I also vacuum the underside of the bra prior to putting it on after washing the car.

I drive 75% of the time without the bra, and avoid following “any” trucks. I have a few chips after 15K miles, which will be repaired with the Mothers chip repair kit & touch up paint (Arctic Silver).

The bra to me is just a cheep way to cut down on the amount of chips that one will inevitably get over time, given that “fine” paint used by Porsche! Keeping the bra on all the time would be a hassle and take away from the Boxster’s great lines.

Enjoy your new toy and don’t let the chips get you down, they are going to happen.
dale(Carlsbad) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
Forum Contributor

In women and in Boxsters, I'm partial to the bra-less look.

I love the looks of my car. Why hide all that beauty behind an ugly bra?
MilwSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 07:19 AM   #5

Clear plastic is the way to go. I am having my car's vital parts covered in a couple of weeks. I will update the board with pics after it is completed.

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote