Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
EE3racing

Pagid E1 blacks

Is anyone using these pads? The parts company owner uses them on his boxter S, his employee says they are street pads easy on the rotor and not noisy. All I can find in searches are pagid black rs7, r421 and rs14.

Still hoping one of you guys has the 411 on minimizing fluid leakage after caliper removal or tips on how to prep the entire brake system before caliper removal

Thanks...

Last edited by xusmnimij; 12-14-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I have Pagid blacks (street version) on my front and rears, and they do last a long time and stop the car extremely well - imo, better than the OEM pads that came on the car. However, there are two negatives to these pads: 1) they produce a lot of brake dust and 2) the rears were squeaky. I had to use anti-squeal liners in the rear to negate the squeal.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #3

I've used the blacks on my 911 for endurance events, where ultimate braking wasn't necessarily as important as wear. They probably are a good street pad, but why would you pay the price when "other" street pads are far less expensive?
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
EE3racing

I'll look into the liners, I read in an article that rotors need to be prepared for use. A non directional scuff with sandpaper was reccommended, anyone know about that? I'm going to check with Zimmerman, I'll report back.. As for Jmata, the pagids were cheaper than the texstars as were the rotors compared to Performance Products, all ordered from Toronto.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Hi,
My brother-in-law used the Pagid Black as well on his 911 and had the same issue as Boxtaboy. Unfortunately, he ended up changing them back to new OEM pads because nothing he and his Porsche mechanic tried worked.

Personally, I use Mintex (red box) and they've been very effective. But, I guess it also depends on one's driving style. Are you planning on tracking your car??

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Hi,
My brother-in-law used the Pagid Black as well on his 911 and had the same issue as Boxtaboy. Unfortunately, he ended up changing them back to new OEM pads because nothing he and his Porsche mechanic tried worked.

Personally, I use Mintex (red box) and they've been very effective. But, I guess it also depends on one's driving style. Are you planning on tracking your car??

No, supposedly the E1 blacks are street pads and easy on the rotors. If your Bro in law had the racing type, they are known to squeel but be effective fro the track.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #7

From what he told me back then, they were the street version. I think he just had the misfortune of taking the advice from someone who was selling the product rather than doing his own research. But that's why this forum is extremely helpful!

Anyway, let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
EE3racing

Quote:
From what he told me back then, they were the street version. I think he just had the misfortune of taking the advice from someone who was selling the product rather than doing his own research. But that's why this forum is extremely helpful!

Anyway, let us know how it turns out.
Funny you should say that, I already made sure I can swap the pads for whatever else I want, that's why I'm asking in the first place. The OEM pads squeel a bit till you really press hard then they are ok for the rest of the trip. I don't think any pad will negate all noise, I'm just not looking to make it worse.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #9

Well, nice job on taking care of that issue. Sounds like good 'ol customer service! What shop is that?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
EE3racing

Quote:
Well, nice job on taking care of that issue. Sounds like good 'ol customer service! What shop is that?

I't's an ebay seller out of Toronto, they sell Zimmermans too. Tonight the motive arrived and I'm a bit confused by one of the instructions. It says if the Motive still has fluid in it when you are done bleeding you tip it away from the supply tube, open the bleeder nearest the master and let air flow back into the fluid reservoir...What? Wouldn't that require re bleeding of that caliper? It's also comical that the directions are on the unit only and not in print, gee felllas you think the bottle will remain scrape & grease free it's whole life? I guess by then you either know how it works or have thrown it out anyhow. I'm starting to think I'm biting off a big chunk of headache, especially since I've yet to locate the clutch bleed from the posted pic. The pan splits underneath the car, I'm thinking it's under the front piece.

They left me a message tonight, the pagids are 421 blacks, the reviews are good, if anyone is running these please jump in.

Last edited by xusmnimij; 12-14-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
Pat

A couple of you are confusing the two different compounds of Pagid Blacks. There is a street compound and a race compound. If you use the wrong one for the wrong application, you'd know right away.
The Blacks the shop recommended are great street pads. They are similar to OEM. The best high-performance street pad I've used are the Pagid Blues, which are just a step more aggressive than the street-oriented Blacks.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I replaced my front pads yesterday when i finished up my eibach and new strut install and i wasnt sure weather they are good or not because of the price....

When the shop i was at called there supplier, we were quoted $60 and some change for Pagid blacks and $90 and some change for OE front pads. I dont know what front pads i had just before replacing them but they sure did make alot of dust and didnt stop very well... The pagid black seems to grip better than the pads i had prior... Ill have to see if they make more dust that my previous dust makers.

EDIT: turns out i heard wrong, th pads i got for the front are not Pagid... they are Bendix... i think pagid is probably a higher quality and/or price than what i've gotten but they sure are better than whatever the heck else was on my car prior to changing them.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 01-25-2008 at 01:26 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
I't's an ebay seller out of Toronto, they sell Zimmermans too.
gforcebrakes.com?

If so, that's who I just bought my Pagid blacks pads and zimmerman cross-drilled cadmium plated rotors from a couple of weeks ago.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #14

Motive info

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
I't's an ebay seller out of Toronto, they sell Zimmermans too. Tonight the motive arrived and I'm a bit confused by one of the instructions. It says if the Motive still has fluid in it when you are done bleeding you tip it away from the supply tube, open the bleeder nearest the master and let air flow back into the fluid reservoir...What? Wouldn't that require re bleeding of that caliper? It's also comical that the directions are on the unit only and not in print, gee felllas you think the bottle will remain scrape & grease free it's whole life? I guess by then you either know how it works or have thrown it out anyhow. I'm starting to think I'm biting off a big chunk of headache, especially since I've yet to locate the clutch bleed from the posted pic. The pan splits underneath the car, I'm thinking it's under the front piece.

They left me a message tonight, the pagids are 421 blacks, the reviews are good, if anyone is running these please jump in.

As for the Motive: you tilt and allow air into the supply tube only until the air reaches the reservoir. This way, when you dis-assemble it you don't have a reservoir filled over the brim.

Make sense?

Jason
jderiansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
EE3racing

Here's a pic of the finished work. Regarding the Motive, it works better then I ever imagined it would. In the instructions they say to tip the unit and bleed the closest caliper for removal of residual fluid in the Motive. I just tipped it and very carefully and slowly released the air by opening the motive top surrounded by rags just in case, it worked fine.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #16

Looks nice!

BTW, what's with the screen name change? Wasn't sure who you were for a second there!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
EE3racing

Quote:
Looks nice!

BTW, what's with the screen name change? Wasn't sure who you were for a second there!

It was a request, one I was fine with, the joke was old a while ago anyhow..If you think they look cool you should see the black chromed intake vents I just got back from Cali, they look awesome.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #18

Ok, I guess it's better not to ask why.....

Cool new screen name anyway!