986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clear third brake light installed. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15211-clear-third-brake-light-installed.html)

Allen K. Littlefield 01-28-2008 01:28 PM

Clear third brake light installed.

Well it took me less than 15min. to install the new silver third brake light from Eric the Bumper Plug Meister. Couple of notes: After unplugging and removing the red light (Two phillips head screws) I plugged in the new clear light and tried hitting the brake. Lo and behold the LEDs light right up! I did not have to cut the wires and reverse them to find the correct polarity. Now my car is an '02 and made in Finland so maybe that is why I did not have to mess with the wires. Secondly (Murphy is my co-pilot) I always manage to nuts something up or have a problem where none is needed. When I was installing one of the holding screws, I heard something pop and the screw turned freely and had no purchase. Upon examination I found there was a T shaped rubber grommet with an entraped brass threaded area that force fits down into a hole in the body. I had pushed too hard when installing the screw and forced the grommet down into the trunk area behind the carpeting. I had to remove the back carpet and fish out the little bugger and pop it back into the hole and then everything went fine. This grommet is shaped like a fat T and in the middle of the long part of the T there is a bulge not unlike a python that swallowed a basketball. This bulge is what keeps the thing in place and snugs up when you tighten down the screws. You do not need to overtighten them to keep the light in place.

The silver third light looks great and it completes the smooth clean look to the back of the car. Only trouble is that I am running out of inexpensive mods to do and I like messing with the thing in spite of Lt. Murphy.

AKL :dance:

Jeph 01-28-2008 03:17 PM

What's that old expression? TTIWWOP? Something like that?

Allen K. Littlefield 01-28-2008 05:16 PM

Don't know that one Jeph, can you break it down for me brother???

AKL

derb 01-28-2008 05:33 PM

This Thread Is Worthless WithOut Pictures?
not necessarily my opinion...

humara 01-28-2008 07:48 PM

ttiwwop is not accurate here. there are more than enough pictures of the clear 3bl. anyway i have an 02 and also did not have to cut any wires.
i really think this is a great looking update for not very much money.

Jeph 01-28-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humara
ttiwwop is not accurate here. there are more than enough pictures of the clear 3bl. anyway i have an 02 and also did not have to cut any wires.
i really think this is a great looking update for not very much money.

Saying TTIWOP is my way of saying, POST SOME PIX bro! I don't mean to belittle the post. Perhaps that was a bit exaggeratory.

Clear brake light, or silver? I thought he said silver. Are those 2 different lights or 2 terms for the same thing? Coincidently, pictures would have cleared that up.

Also, "I found there was a T shaped rubber grommet with an [entrapped] brass threaded area that force fits down into a hole in the body..." A good explanation... but still. Are most familiar enough with that part specifically that a photo won't help?

IJS (I'm just sayin'...)

humara 01-28-2008 09:54 PM

i;m just sayin...
there's already plenty of pics and threads on this topic.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15083-clear-third-brake-light-question.html?highlight=brake

Allen K. Littlefield 01-29-2008 04:55 AM

Wot pics?

Jeph has good points and if there were not any photos already posted by Humara then I would have pursued it. Yes there are two lights available from Bumper Plugs, Silver and clear/smoked. The silver works best with my Arctic Silver car. There are only two holes to attach the light and they will be most obvious if and when you are changing the light. You really don't need pics as most will not drive the captured rubber grommet down into the trunk as I did :confused: I just thought I would mention if for any other members of the Murphy Automotive home fixers to be aware not to push down too hard when replacing the screws. Still friends??? ;)

AKL