Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

When to let go?

Hi,

I am new to the forum but have owned and driven my '98 boxster for 3 years now. It has nearly 138,000 miles. The clutch and waterpump and convertible top motor (ooops...my fault!) have been replaced. It runs well although it rattles a bit (?possible suspension going?). :ah:

I love the car, but I do a lot of freeway driving in LA. I'm trying to decide if it's time to trade it in for a different Porsche before something "major" going wrong either kills me or makes me stranded on the freeway...do you think that it is less reliable and/or less safe the higher the miles go?

Or, do you think it's just as reliable as a low-mileage Porsche who's potential "problems" haven't been discovered?

What would you tell your wife/daughter?

Thanks a bunch! Dixie

dixiecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #2

If you took good care of your car and kept up with the maintenance, then you have a very good chance that your car will continue to serve you well. There are several people that has ran their car well past 150k. The question now is to ask yourself do you just want a new car? And you just want to have a good list of reasons to present to the wife?
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

Hi,
I would have to agree with the maintenance issue. If the issues on your car have already been addressed and from what you said, much of the mileage is from the highway, then I don't see why your car wouldn't go well beyond 150K.

As for the possible suspension / rattling issues, those may may be easily taken care of by you and / or by your trusted, fair, and relatively honest porsche mechanic.

But, all of this is, IMHO, isn't really all that helpful considering you know your car the best...you drive it everyday. If you feel uneasy with a higher mileage car and you can afford to take the plunge again, then maybe that's the best way to go.

Lastly, I think you raised a good point about a lower mileage boxster. The next car you buy may have those issues we all know and love and love to hate. But since you've been there already, you'll know what to look for---just make sure you get a PPI.

Good luck Dixie!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #4

Hi Dixie, welcome to the forum!

+1 on the advice from dcporsche99. And if you decide to go with a new model, use the forum to study up so you can make a wise choice. Lots of great info here (starting with Sticky Note #3 at the top of the Gen Disc) and feel free to ask any questions. Lots of experience here that you can lean on. Then decide what colors and options you need or want and let the fun begin.

Something to consider is looking for a CPO (certified pre owned) used Boxster from a Porsche dealer. You pay a little more for one but most of the items we worry about are then covered for 2 yrs (it's not a bumper to bumper but RMS is covered). Porsche doesn't just CPO late model Boxsters either. I traded in an 01S on my new 08 and the dealer has CPO'd it. So older Boxsters can have some factory warranty. Just something to think about...

In the meantime, enjoy your sunny warm weather. It's cold and snowy here.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM   #5

One more thing to throw into the mix – do you owe anything on it?

For me, I am always willing to overlook a problem here or there if I don’t have to be making payments on my car, but throw in repair bills (especially Porsche repair bills) on top of a car payment, and I would seriously consider unloading it.

You will probably be fine driving it for a while longer, but just be prepared if something else blows up on you. I drive a lot for work and am reimbursed based on mileage. My car is still pretty new at this point, but I take all of that mileage reimbursement and dump it into a separate investment account. That way, when something catastrophic finally does happen to my car, I will already have the funds reserved to fix it – and if nothing happens in the next 7 years or so, there is my new 911 paid for – cash. Maybe if you did something similar to this, it would give you the peace of mind to keep driving your car for a few more years.

Regardless, welcome to the forum.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #6

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm uneasy only b/c I was "taught" that high mileage cars were unreliable.

I actually got the car at 80,000 mi so I don't know how the original owner drove it.

It's paid off. The next one (thinking about a Cayenne S) would be too.

I really appreciate the advice....I guess I'll have to let the Cayenne deal go by. On the bright side, I get to drive my cabrio in LA a little longer!

Dixie
dixiecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #7

If it were me and I liked the car, I would drive it until it died or I got tired of it.

You won't get much for the car now and yet it is paid off. That is a treat these days.

I would just be very rigorous on the fluids, oil, trans, coolant. etc.

Oil every 7500 miles, trans and collant every 15K.

Use M1 or Red Line fluids.

Good luck and send us some pics.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
If it were me and I liked the car, I would drive it until it died or I got tired of it.

You won't get much for the car now and yet it is paid off. That is a treat these days.

I would just be very rigorous on the fluids, oil, trans, coolant. etc.

Oil every 7500 miles, trans and collant every 15K.

Use M1 or Red Line fluids.

Good luck and send us some pics.
I agree, most of it's value is gone so drive it into the ground knowing that it may some day let go on you. Just start building a new car fund until then.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #9

ALL convertibles rattle by the way, if anything this is the convertible that rattles the least in my experience. You simply can't hack the roof off a car and not expect things to shake when going over bumpy roads. ALso, are you checking your tire pressure regularly? This something you can get away with not doing often in a sedan but a convertible will let you know right away, same goes for your springs.

p.s.
If repairing your Boxster is starting to bug you that's sorta of a way of telling you that you'd like something newer. I know guys who think nothing of spending 3,000 on their 993's and would never consider updating to a newer Porsche.
The Carreras and Boxster of the last ten years were mass produced and the supply is abundant maybe higher than demmand right now, might be a good idea to get some cash for your car while the credit markets are starving for car and house buyers. That may come to and sooner than later.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-25-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #10

Keep it.. Use it.. Maintain it. No reason it should just up and die on you. If its already paid for, even better. Nothing more liberating than having a car with no liens!

Boxster is much more fun than a Cayenne afterall.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #11

^ Oh I mis-read that as Cayman, yeah definitely don't swap your roadster for a truck! Much better to be sitting in LA traffic jams in a convertible than a min-van.

p.s.
Not having a monthly car bill is great but having to pay high insurance on a car that is paid off really really really sucks...Here in NJ it almost makes it pointless not to have a car bill if you are going to be forking over $10,000 in car insurance in the four or five years that you will own your Pcar. I've never had a serious car accident or filed a claim but they still get me every year...I don't have it so bad though, I cough up $1700 a year for full coverage..I know people in their 30's who pay more for full coverage on a Suzuki sardine can.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-25-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

p.s.
Not having a monthly car bill is great but having to pay high insurance on a car that is paid off really really really sucks...Here in NJ it almost makes it pointless not to have a car bill if you are going to be forking over $10,000 in car insurance in the four or five years that you will own your Pcar. I've never had a serious car accident or filed a claim but they still get me every year...I don't have it so bad though, I cough up $1700 a year for full coverage..I know people in their 30's who pay more for full coverage on a Suzuki sardine can.
That sucks man - are you in Jersey City or something? My wife and I pay just under $1k per year for full coverage on my Box and her Toyota combined - maybe that is a Morris County thing?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #13

I grew up in Jersey and man, it seems they have NEVER straightened out their auto insurance rates.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #14

About trading in for another Porsche, anothing thing to think about is that even if you buy a 2002 911 with 20,000 miles, you can just easily have an expensive repair.

Welcome to the forum!
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #15

Keep it and drive it!!

I have 155,000 on my 99 and love it more everyday.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #16

I've been going through the same debate for a year now. My car has 77,000 miles on it and I was concerned about reliability and getting my money out of it before it depreciated any further. I decided I wanted another Porsche and actually sold my car twice to flakey buyers that couldn't follow through. Put my car in the garage for the winter and am now leaning towards keeping it.

My reasoning is that the car is just so fun to drive that even though the depreciation mounts it is more than offset by my enjoyment. Very few cars are going to offer the performance for what the market value of the car is. I believe the look of the car is classic and will remain so. How many people would die to own a well cared for 356?

As far as reliablility, which sounds like your main issue, as long as the maintenance is followed there is no reason for major anxiety. With higher miles, I find myself more aware and diligent with keeping the car as well tuned and operating as I can. I justify any additional expense by thinking about what a $700 or $800 monthly payment would feel like on a newer car. Anytime something doesn't sound quite right (which is rare) I have it serviced ASAP.

ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote