Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
On Star or Navigation?

I've looked into OnStar and found that it's not available in Porsches. Does anyone know what the navigation systems are like or if there is anything like OnStar? I am looking towards an '05 Boxster a little after they come out. I have a TERRIBLE sense of direction. I'd gladly pay a monthly fee to have someone help me find my way whenever I get lost. I've heard mixed things about GPS systems in cars and am just curious what experience anyone has had.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
porsche986

SAT NAV is a must, however i aint sure if anyone living in the states has a road angel. These things detect speeds cameras but they conflict with sat nav as they both use a sat. Sat Nav always takes over... i decided to get rid of the road angel and stick with sat nav as i to have a TERRIBLE sense of direction
Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #3

OnStar is only in GM cars. There is a Porsche navigation system, however I have a little hand held GARMIN GPS V which has about 90% of the functionality, however its only about $400 and is the size of a large cell phone and doesnt not have any monthly charges.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to janzenms
I can't find any info online... but when I test drive the 911 a few weeks ago the sales guy said Porsche was rolling out a version of on-star. I'd suggest contacting your local dealer to see if they know any more now.
My other hobbie: emptum, GETitSELLit, CARazed
-----------------------------

http://static.flickr.com/55/128864958_14b7e6dbeb_m.jpg
janzenms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

I have GPS in my '03 Boxster S and am amazed at its accuracy....but then I never had one before.
When traveling to the UK it found the most remote places and directed us safely to hotels/restaurants in towns we had never been to to before. All rather enjoyable and you can even chose different the directions being given in different languages (Finnish, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, etc) as well as male/female.
Admittedly it is a rather expensive option but being a gadget-fanatic, I just couln't resist!
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #6

Well, I got lost on the way to another job today. As frustrated as I get when I get lost a GPS or On-Star would be worth every penny. I've wanted one in my car since I heard such a thing existed.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 AM   #7

Nav equipment is nice but totally uneccesary. We have multitudes of ways to get the information whether mapquest, yahoo or AAA the information is available. Where the system might come in handy is when you are lost and have no clue as to which way you are going! All roads are marked whether they head North, East, South and West so just by knowing where you are in relation to your destination you can make it without a nav radio. Proper preparation is necessary before leaving for just those possibilities. This boils down to proper preparation for a trip.
I always go over the map with my wife, the copilot, she in turn alerts me for turns and exits. It has worked for me for 34 yrs. I am a firm believer that the more garbage we put in the car the more garbage will break.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #8

I have a bad sense of direction. I can get lost going around the block and I'm not kidding. Everywhere I go if I don't know where I'm going I use Mapquest or Yahoo maps but yesterday (and in many other instances) it still didn't work. Once I get confused my mind spazzes out or something and I get flustered. I don't go to work in the same place every day so it's important I get places on time that may be who knows where. I don't always have someone with me to help me navigate. I would rather On Star or something like it becuase you have an actual person's voice in the car to tell you where to go and can see where you are. I can't tell you how many times I have also almost run off the road trying to read my directions and merge or get on the right exit. People in Tampa are crazy drivers too so that doesn't help. I tried to explain to my boyfriend about my sense of direction and to him it seems so easy. He just senses where he is. In my hometown of New Orleans where I lived all my life until moving here I still had people give me directions all the time. anyway, I just would be a lot happier if I had On Star.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveBunny
I can't tell you how many times I have also almost run off the road trying to read my directions and merge or get on the right exit. ... anyway, I just would be a lot happier if I had On Star.
And I (and other drivers) will be a lot happier knowing you have a friendly voice helping you keep your eyes on the road and hands on the controls of the car

Maybe my PSM is for sissies , but for every time it keeps me on course and away from hitting solid objects it is money well spent!

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote