986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Anyone try Roadsterbag? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15131-anyone-try-roadsterbag.html)

baseball 01-20-2008 05:12 PM

Anyone try Roadsterbag?

I'm thinking of ordering the Roadsterbag luggage set for the Boxster:

You can view them here

Looks like they'd make long weekends with the wife a little more practical to take the box.

Has anyone had any experience with these? At $260 + shipping, the price isn't bad. But I'm wondering if they'll hold up over the long haul.

Or does anyone know of another alternative?

FTD 01-21-2008 05:50 AM

Looks like fun. However, any luggage or bags that fit in the boots will do. that's a lot fo money for something to put clothes in. Then again, if I had more money than I could spend, I think it would be fun to have 'Porsche luggage'.

dcporsche99 01-21-2008 06:23 AM

Nice choice! But from the looks of it....they don't appear to be durable.

I think something more along these lines (see link below) might take more wear and tear....but will they fit...that's the question??? If you have the time I would just take the dimensions of the roadster luggage set / luggage compartment and drive over to a retailer and see what they have...especially for that price.

http://www.luggage.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=UD1116&refid=XT52-UD1116

Funny, all this time I've had my car and I haven't tried fitting luggage in there.

Good luck with that. :cheers:

randijo 01-21-2008 06:25 AM

I have a 2006 987, so my trunks are the same size as yours. I find that one standard 26" or 27" rolling softside rigid frame suitcase fits in each trunk. These are the standard black suitcases that everyone seems to have these days. We have a few of these at home from various brands, and they all fit nicely. I put the front one in standing up and the back one in lying flat. I have never paid more than $150 for one of these suitcases and they last for years. We are hard on our suitcases and travel 6-8 times a year. I usually look at consumer reports online for the brand to buy when replacing one. I balance their durability rating with the cost and usally end up with one of the top 3 rated choices.

The last one of these I bought was the "Delsey Helium Breeze 26" Expandable Upright Trolley" at ebags.com for about $120. It seems very durable, and it fits the boxster trunks.

saaber 01-21-2008 09:38 AM

I would recommend these:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog&parent_id=8

They are bullet proof, have hideaway shoulder and waist belts so you can carry/hike with it if you need to, they are soft so fit almost anywhere, and are the right size for carry on in an airplane. I have dragged this thing all over Europe over several years it still looks like new. I think some have rollers but mine doesn't. It is a perfect fit in front or back trunks and because it is soft you can load lots of other stuff in the trunk with it and it will still fit.

RandallNeighbour 01-21-2008 09:53 AM

If you only plan to use them for trips in your Boxster, I think they'll last a long time.

What seems to quickly and/or consistently ruin my bags is checking them in when I travel by air, which I must do from time to time.

That wedge style bag for the back looks really cool. I've almost bought the set myself, but I have a 986 and the front bags won't fit.

I've made three cross country trips in the boxster now, and I must say that soft sided duffle bags of the mid and small size work best. If not overpacked, they can conform to the odd sizes of the front and rear trunks.

baseball 01-21-2008 11:11 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. There's so much good stuff that's been posted in this thread that I've decided to hold off on the Roadsterbag purchase and investigate some of the other options.

rick3000 01-21-2008 12:07 PM

There is no reason to spend $280 on luggage just because it says Porsche, unless it's on the cool aluminum cases. Also, Roadster bags are actually the name of the backpack/bag you can buy to suspend between the seats.

baseball 01-21-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
There is no reason to spend $280 on luggage just because it says Porsche, unless it's on the cool aluminum cases. Also, Roadster bags are actually the name of the backpack/bag you can buy to suspend between the seats.

It's not $280, it's $260 and it doesn't say Porsche on it, it says Roadsterbag.

rick3000 01-21-2008 10:11 PM

You are correct it is not $280, sorry about the mix up. It is actually $335 if you include the shipping. :cheers:

70Sixter 01-23-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've made three cross country trips in the boxster now, and I must say that soft sided duffle bags of the mid and small size work best. If not overpacked, they can conform to the odd sizes of the front and rear trunks.

What Randall said!

Back in the early 70s I used cotton laundry bags to maximize my 914s trunks and avoid damage to trunk lids. Later did same with my 911.

Our standard medium roll-on bag fits the front with room to pack other stuff. Put old-style Samsonite hard case in rear - also with room to stuff load.

That said I've wondered why someone hasn't offered a reasonable alternative to Porsche's expensive fitted luggage, even if it isn't as durable as airline type bags.

porsche986spyder 01-23-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball
I'm thinking of ordering the Roadsterbag luggage set for the Boxster:

Looks like they also removed the spare tire/wheel also just to get them in the front. :cheers:

FTD 01-23-2008 11:12 AM

After reading 'Roadsterbag' in the thread title over the last few days it is starting to sound dorkey to me. So now neither quality nor price matter! Pop open the trunk and there it is: ROADSTERBAG. Ew.
:eek:

bigfoot 12-04-2009 04:35 PM

size of roadsterbags

can anyone give me please the size of all three Roadsterbags for Boxster?

thank you in advance