986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oxygen Sensor Warning Light (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15121-oxygen-sensor-warning-light.html)

smartguys 01-20-2008 10:05 AM

Oxygen Sensor Warning Light

If I go ahead and change my oxygen sensors myself (seems like a do it yourself according to this site's instructions/forum) -- what will I need to do re: the warning light? Will it reset itself once the sensor in installed or do I need to visit the dealer and have them connect to a computer check system and have them reset?

thanks/Kelly

Gary in BR 01-20-2008 11:24 AM

If you are talking about the check engine light. Disconnect the car battery for about 15 minutes and it will reset.

IowaS 01-20-2008 11:35 AM

Or buy a diagnostic tool to reset it...

dcporsche99 01-20-2008 11:40 AM

Hey Kelly,

Yeah, it's a good DIY. Just be patient and take your time....and don't forget....safety first! (gotta add that one)

As for the CEL: if you do it Gary's way don't forget your radio code.

A second option would be to just go to your local Autozone or carparts store and have them reset it once you've completed your install. They will do it for free.

A third option would be to have a forum member close by help you out. Anyone out there willing to lend a hand??

A fourth option (as Iowa S suggested) would be to invest in an OBD II reader from flea bay and read/reset it yourself. I have not made that investment since my brother has one, so I just use his. But I know there's a few folks out there that can chime in to help you out with that purchase if you chose that route.

Good luck with that!:cheers:

smartguys 01-21-2008 04:07 AM

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your assistance, all great input. Kelly.

Topless 01-21-2008 06:28 AM

Hey guys, are you sure your O2 sensors are bad? Have you tested them? They are designed to trip a CEL if they sense a mixture problem beyond what the DME can compensate. If you have not yet read the codes/tested the sensors you may be shooting the messenger instead of fixing the problem. Food for thought.

smartguys 01-21-2008 05:19 PM

Yes, sorry, forget to mention - the dealer noted at my 70,000 mi service that it was in need of replacement. I chose to save the $425 ridiculous amount they were asking to do replace it -- the $799 for the service was enough.

Thanks for pointing out/Kelly

Topless 01-21-2008 05:36 PM

Dealers will often tell you that you need new O2's when you get a CEL. Mine said I needed all four at $1200. They were wrong. It was a bad MAF. I fixed it myself. 6000 miles later and no more CEL... car runs like new.

What error codes did they get?

schoir 01-22-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartguys
Yes, sorry, forget to mention - the dealer noted at my 70,000 mi service that it was in need of replacement. I chose to save the $425 ridiculous amount they were asking to do replace it -- the $799 for the service was enough.

Thanks for pointing out/Kelly

Kelly:

You can avoid wasting more money by buying the Bosch 02 sensors, rather than the "Porsche" 02 sensors, which are made by Bosch. There is no difference (other than the packaging, and sometimes a 986 part number stamped on it) whatsoever between the two if you get Bosch part number 13806. It has the identical connector with no modification needed.

The last time I bought one from ************************************************************, the Bosch 02 sensor even had the Porsche part number stamped on it. Less than 1/2 the price the dealer wants.

After you get the car up safely on jackstands, it's a piece of cake. Picture unscrewing a bolt from some threads which are mounted on the side of a metal tube, and screwing another one back on. It's that simple, coupled with disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connection.

Regards, Maurice.

smartguys 01-24-2008 03:11 PM

Smartguys

Follow up question:

Do I need 2 or 4 replacement sensors. Many auto parts stores online say 4 per car?

thanks/Kelly

smartguys 01-24-2008 03:17 PM

Code

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless
Dealers will often tell you that you need new O2's when you get a CEL. Mine said I needed all four at $1200. They were wrong. It was a bad MAF. I fixed it myself. 6000 miles later and no more CEL... car runs like new.

What error codes did they get?

They did not tell me the code, just that they needed replacement.

Topless 01-24-2008 05:48 PM

If your CEL is still on, take your car to Autozone and they will read your codes for free. Report back here. Without knowing the codes and model yr we are just shooting in the dark. :confused:

blue2000s 01-24-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartguys
Follow up question:

Do I need 2 or 4 replacement sensors. Many auto parts stores online say 4 per car?

thanks/Kelly

The pre-cat sensors see a much more harsh environment from a contamination standpoint than the downstream sensors. They are also the only ones that will actually effect the air/fuel mixture. The downstream sensors just tell the DME if the cats are working correctly. You might try replacing just the upstream pair first and see if that fixes your problem.

Dohertycm 01-24-2008 08:03 PM

throwing parts

Dont throw parts at it...

Look make the investment and get you a diagnostic tool so you can read the codes....and if you dont have one, get a Bentley manual.

I got my code reader off of EBAY. A CAN ODBII reader...

It can read all of the codes and with the bentley manual you can look up the Porsche codes.

Although my mechanic tell me that he has changed out very few O2 sensors because he has found air and vaccum leaks and also MAF problems...

However, in my case I had the 1053 and the 1276 code which pointed directly to one sensor.....$114 dollars it cost me for the OEM replacement...

But dont throw parts at it, it will only frustrate you more.

Chris
:cheers:

mikefocke 01-25-2008 02:21 AM

A step by step

guide is available here .

1. Get codes, determine the one that is failing. Replace only that one.

2. Use OEM Bosch part, not Porsche part. For part numbers, see guide.

3. Either do it yourself or have local muffler shop replace for about a half hour labor.

I did 1, 2 and 3b (because I was moving and in a hurry) and am happy and richer several thousand miles later.

jjordan23 01-28-2008 02:15 PM

Vacum leaks CEL

Does any one know of common cels related to vacum leaks?

dcporsche99 01-28-2008 02:33 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, Blinkwatt is the fella you might want to ask about a vacuum leak. I believe he had one a while back, don't recall if he had associated CELs with it.

Maybe he'll chime in here for ya.....Blink?? :cheers:

jjordan23 01-28-2008 03:08 PM

car in shop

Thanks any suggestions or fixes for vacum leaks would be helpful. Car has been in a local shop here in ATLANTA and the technician replaced the oil filler tube o2 sensor and mass airflow meter and it is still throwing three codes..

Dohertycm 01-28-2008 03:29 PM

codes

What are the codes?

jjordan23 01-28-2008 04:06 PM

codes

unfortunately i dont have the codes because the care is in the shop drove the car for two years with no cels. put the car in for a rear crank seal replace and oil filler tube replace/then started throwing codes. The tech thinks they are related to a vacum leak.