Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #1

zaino wax

3 new coats, and 2 tired arms later..

boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #2

The car looks great ...good job...I hear waxing is the new way to loose weight!!! Keep those tired arms moving.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #3

looks sharp...good job
peakpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #4

Looks great, but do yourself a favor and buy a Porter-Cable orbital. The experts all agree you cannot achieve the same finish by hand, that you can with a orbital and the right pads.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #5

Nice job!

I use Zaino Z-2 on my Basalt Black car. The Z-2 goes on with a foam applicator pad and wipes off effortlessly :30 minutes later. If you also use the accelerator, you can do 3 coats in a row. This is easy work. I use microfibre towels to remove.

I probably have 10+ coats of Zaino on my car now.

I also use Z-5 as a base layer. Z-5 has some hiding qualities that Z-2 doesn't.

You don't need (or want) any power equipment to apply Zaino sealant.

However -- if you want to make your black car really really shine. Then you should invest in a Porter Cable (or similar) random orbit buffer. Use it to apply a "polish". There are different types of polish available ranging from mild to harsher. I use the porter cable to apply Zaino's ZPC with a mild cutting pad. This does an excellent job of removing all of the micro-swirls on the black paint. You would do this step prior to using a protecting product (like a wax or sealant).

Good luck with your detailing. Its worth all the effort.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

Nice!

I love Zaino stuff.

Those wheels look great too.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #7

Thanks for all the kind remarks. I have though about getting one of those polishers, but has been afraid to because I do not want to burn the paint. I was thinking about that Griot's garage kit for 199 has anyone tried that kit yet?

Here are a few more pictures and my attempt at photography... Also how do you guys post pictures that is not so small and is seen without clicking on it?
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
bmussatti

I love Zaino! Sal Zaino has great customer service too. I really like RejeX wax for the wheels and leading edges like the front bumper and mirrors. Bug splatter just washed off with soapy water.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
very nice man, thats all i use too.
i dont want to waste time w anything else

btw, w that nice of a waxed car, why did you put up such tiny pictures?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 01-19-2008 at 10:02 AM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #10

Looks really nice! I especially like the "hoodart" picture!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
Thanks for all the kind remarks. I have though about getting one of those polishers, but has been afraid to because I do not want to burn the paint. I was thinking about that Griot's garage kit for 199 has anyone tried that kit yet?

Here are a few more pictures and my attempt at photography... Also how do you guys post pictures that is not so small and is seen without clicking on it?
Ray I have this kit. Used it twice so far and works great.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #12

Ray..pix looks awesome! keep waxing it before the AX season start coz' I heard, the shinier the car, the faster

looks like you and conrad found a new winter hobby, eh? efren, bigb and i are just waiting for a phone call
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #13

Right on unklekraker - My car definitely needs some R&R

Nice pics Ray - wish they were bigger so one could see the detail.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
dkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000

Hi boxs2000 - if you can upload your photos to some gallery or webspace on another website (for me I use a photo site called www.pbase.com) and if that site allows linking from another site to those images, you can click on the little "mountain" icon when you're posting a message then enter (or copy then paste) the web address of that image (be sure it has .jpg at the end too) into the textbox that comes up, click enter and you're good to go. The size of the photos depends on how large they are when you upload them to your remote site. I haven't uploaded any here as attachments yet but I would imagine there is a size limitation so that the server doesn't fill up with lot of large photos. My signature photo is a link to a photo that I have stored on my boxster gallery at my pbase.com site.

There may be someone who can explain this a lot better than me but if you have any questions PM me and I'll try to help. There may even be a "sticky" somewhere on this site to help with this.

Ken
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #15

BTW, don't be afraid of the random orbitals. Unless you fall asleep leaning on one spot on your finish, burning your paint is pretty darn unlikely. Make sure you choose an appropriate degree of 'grittiness' for the polish. (Start fine and work up to polishes with more bite, if needed, to remove swirls, etc.)

Can't tell you much about the Griot's unit, though I definitely haven't heard anything bad about it. I got the Porter Cable and am happy with it.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
Ray..pix looks awesome! keep waxing it before the AX season start coz' I heard, the shinier the car, the faster

looks like you and conrad found a new winter hobby, eh? efren, bigb and i are just waiting for a phone call
I'm currently in LA. Be back late tonight.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
BTW, don't be afraid of the random orbitals. Unless you fall asleep leaning on one spot on your finish, burning your paint is pretty darn unlikely. Make sure you choose an appropriate degree of 'grittiness' for the polish. (Start fine and work up to polishes with more bite, if needed, to remove swirls, etc.)

Can't tell you much about the Griot's unit, though I definitely haven't heard anything bad about it. I got the Porter Cable and am happy with it.

I was quite afraid of using an orbital on my paint too, but as long as you dont go absolutely crazy, you cant do any damage. Take your time and do the research to find out which products ect. to use, and you will be fine. I used the porter cable with Zaino products without any experience (or skill for that matter) and was very happy. Just keep in mind that anything you screw up with the PC can be fixed by a pro.

Hake is offline   Reply With Quote