986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My Boxster is ready. I'll be back on the road soon, hopefully a lot torqueier(sp?). (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15078-my-boxster-ready-ill-back-road-soon-hopefully-lot-torqueier-sp.html)

thenavarro 01-15-2008 07:50 PM

My Boxster is ready. I'll be back on the road soon, hopefully a lot torqueier(sp?).

Dealership emailed today and my 01 Boxster is ready!! I'm the one that spun a rod bearing and Warranty Direct has initially refused to pay (I'll deal with them soon, once I have all my costs together for my lawyer to present to them) I ended up going with a 3.2 S motor instead of a 2.7 so at least I should notice a difference I hope.

I've been selling autographs on ebay like crazy to come up with the funds. I had it all together and then the last week I've been hit with about $2,000 worth of stuff I hadn't planned for, IE, clutch replacement while engine is out, teardown costs of the first engine so Warranty Direct could have the pleasure of denying it :troll: (I should have known about this cost but I thought it was already in the estimate dealership had given me), and a couple of other small items that are adding up. Final bill when you include the cost of the engine I got from a recycler will be $10,800.00 and change. OUCH!!! :ah: I could have probably picked up a lesser condition full older model for that and fixed it up with stuff from my ride.

Oh well, hopefully at some point I'll get all my funds back from warranty direct. I know that they better be ready for a hell of a fight Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up and pay for it soon, just need to keep hustling sales on ebay. As soon as I get in it and take off though, I know the permagrin will be back and I can enjoy falling for my car all over again. This will be like getting to enjoy a long lost love again. :matchup: LOL.

Maybe I'll have it back in time for the mini get together in Dallas coming up. :cheers:

Hope to see y'all on the road soon,

Mike

blinkwatt 01-15-2008 07:59 PM

I don't know how much different the 2.7L is from my 2.5L I had butwhen I jumped to a 3.2L it didn't make much of a difference torque wise. I really noticed a difference at the mid all the way to top end of the RPM range.

Perhaps your 5-spd will match up with the 3.2L better than the 3.2L matches with the 996 6-spd........hmmmmmmmm.

I no longer seek extra ponies from my car since I've gotten my 3.2L. :D

NickCats 01-16-2008 06:18 AM

Mike,

Best of luck to you with your fight against Warranty Direct. Glad to hear you are getting your Box back...

Nick

bmussatti 01-16-2008 06:44 AM

Good job! Make sure you do a proper engine break-in with the new motor. I would also change the oil at about the 1,000 mile mark.

dcporsche99 01-16-2008 06:48 AM

Way to go! Good to hear you'll be back on the road! Enjoy! :cheers:

porsche986spyder 01-16-2008 07:04 AM

I have a few questions for you:

1) Did you need to have a 6-speed transmission installed since you now have a 3.2Ltr? Or will a 5-speed work with a 3.2 other than beefing on the clutch? Seems like you would not be getting the full benefit of the new engine if you could not use the last gear. :confused:

2) Even if you win your case against warranty direct, would they pay for the cost of the 3.2 instead of the 2.7Ltr? Seems like they would only pay for the replacement of the original engine if anything, not an upgraded engine. Hopefully you can at least get the cost of the install back.

Good luck with that!

P.S. Mike are you someone famous? You said selling autographs, yet I don't know who you are?

FTD 01-16-2008 07:35 AM

Vrooom vrooom!!
:cheers:

NickCats 01-16-2008 07:57 AM

986spyder,

I think he was selling autographs of famous people he has on ebay. I might be wrong, though :confused:

Nick

chaudanova 01-16-2008 09:29 AM

Hey Mike, I think we had a little PM chat a little while back about the autographs you sell on eBay, though I don't recall, where do you get a hold of all these autographs?

RandallNeighbour 01-16-2008 10:04 AM

Maybe Mike is famous himself!

Ever wonder if someone we chat with each and every day here is really Michael J. Fox or Michael Keaton?

However, selling one's own autographs on eBay is a bit cheesy. Reminds me of something I saw on late night TV last night. The host was trying to outbid someone on a pair of jogging pants owned by Gary Coleman... and sold by Gary Coleman himself if I heard right. :barf:

dkh 01-16-2008 02:49 PM

Glad to hear the news, neighbor Mike! We need that mini-meet in Dallas just to celebrate the return of your Boxster.

As I mentioned in that email, it occurred to me that with the 5speed trans and that new/used 3.2L you're going to have some really good pick-up and maybe even better gearing for autocrossing than my S has. Are you thinking about the PCA autocross school in March - or one of the autocrosses in March? Although I've done quite a bit of autocrossing with PCA and others I think I may do the school just to get some more practice in the Boxster. I suppose you'll be out at MSR soon to put that new motor through it's paces.

Congrats Mike! Be sure to drop by to show me when you get it!

Ken

thenavarro 01-16-2008 03:30 PM

Hey guys, I'm only famous in the minds of my 10 year old boy and 4 year old girl, and that's good enough for me!!!

986Spyder - The 5 speed willl work with the 3.2 liter, not necessary to have the 6 speed. The 3.2 liter from the recycler that I'm having put in is actually cheaper than the 2.7 liter crate motor direct from Porsche that was the recommended fix, therefore, Warranty Direct should thank me for saving them some coin once its all said and done. Seriously though, the 2.7 and 3.2 are the same cost for used engines from the recyclers, so when I win my case with them, they should pay what it would have cost for the replacement 2.7 engine and installation and I can get plenty of quotes for that. If we have to go to arbitration, I will also be asking them to reimburse me for the transportation that I had to have from the time they erroneously denied my claim, as well as my legal fees and arbitration fees, as well as the interest lost on my money from the time I have to pay for it until the time they lose. So, it should be in their interest to just pay my claim and move on, but we shall see.

To answer the autograph questions: The autographs I sell on ebay are mainly Presidential, political, and historical, with an occasional sport star thrown in. I get some in person and buy/'trade with several dealers that run large auction catalogs and on ebay as well. My niche in the hobby is creating souvenir typescripts. My job allows me to meet a lot of the political types, and I've been fortunate to meet some really neat people.

Randall- I did sell one of my own autographs on ebay one time just for grins and it went for $19.95. Why somebody wanted it, I have no idea, as I'm not famous, I'm just a regular run of the mill Joe Blow. I just wrote a creative ad and put that I hope to one day have Presidential aspirations, and someone rewarded me with $19.95!!! Made for some fun watercooler talk.

Ken- I've never tried autocrossing, but I think it would be fun to give it a go. I'll definitely contact you when I get it back and we'll carve up some local roads.

Take care,

Mike

CJ_Boxster 01-16-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenavarro

Randall- I did sell one of my own autographs on ebay one time just for grins and it went for $19.95. Why somebody wanted it, I have no idea, as I'm not famous, I'm just a regular run of the mill Joe Blow. I just wrote a creative ad and put that I hope to one day have Presidential aspirations, and someone rewarded me with $19.95!!! Made for some fun watercooler talk.
Take care,

Mike

Next thing i know, Ill be seeing your Autographed photo hanging up on the wall between Gilbert Godfree & Christopher Titus at Pinks Hotdogs in Hollywood

EE3racing 01-16-2008 04:02 PM

To Navarro,

How much is a pic + visor from a sales meeting with Greg Lougainis sig worth? I could use any coin at the moment.

OK I can see I need to wait till he's dead...

SilentThunder 01-16-2008 05:25 PM

If you want to talk about autographs, I have an autographed picture of all 4 Beatles. I was going to shell out the money to get it authenticated but they wanted something like 10% of the claimed value. And on a $30,000 picture thats a lot. Besides, im never going to sell it, just pass it on to my kids. I also have a signed michael jackson picture from the 80's when he was black :P

Jeph 01-16-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'll have it back in time for the mini get together in Dallas coming up.

What's the hold up? What dealer is it at?

We'd love to see the car and meet you January 26, 2008 at our Second Annual 986 Mini-meet, Dallas Chapter.

You have 1.4 weeks to comply. Good day sir.

thenavarro 01-16-2008 06:27 PM

Carlos - I doubt you'll see my picture there, but I sure would like to go there one day for some dogs. I saw it one day on one of those Rachel Ray type shows that my wife watches, looks good and bad for you, that's exactly what I like.

xusmnimij - Louganis signed photos usually go for $20-$40 at auction depending on their size and image pictured. The visor would go for less than the photo as that typically doesn't have as much display potential. You are right though, prices tend to spike for a few days after their death.

SilentThunder - The Beatles are incredibly popular with vintage autograph collectors. Assuming your signed picture is authentic and in choice condition with nice poses, you could buy a Boxster with it. You can also get top notch well respected authentication for a LOT less than $3,000. I'd recommend three places for that http://www.rrauction.com and email or speak with Bob Eaton, or get it done through http://www.psadna.com or http://www.spenceloa.com . All of those places have great reputations in the industry and their certificates of authentication would virtually guarantee an easy sell if you ever decide to move the piece.

Jeph wrote: What's the hold up? :) my pocketbook What dealer is it at? Park Place Porsche in Dallas. I'll try to make it up to the 2nd annual event. If I remember the first event correctly, I think I remember seeing an image of a large plate of bacon covered cheese fries in a generous heaping posted on the board.

Mike

Jeph 01-16-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

I'll try to make it up to the 2nd annual event. If I remember the first event correctly, I think I remember seeing an image of a large plate of bacon covered cheese fries in a generous heaping posted on the board.

Yes sir. Those were cheese fries from Snuffer's (image below). If you like that sort of thing, then I will suggest we go to Chip's Old Fashioned Burgers. It has replaced Snuffer's as my favorite Dallas area burger joint.

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986-snuffers1.jpg

Gosh I love Ranch dressing.

timothy 01-16-2008 07:19 PM

I'll bring the crash cart :D

http://hsc.unm.edu/emermed/cpr/Adult...fin%20copy.jpg

Dr. Kill 01-17-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeph
Yes sir. Those were cheese fries from Snuffer's (image below). If you like that sort of thing, then I will suggest we go to Chip's Old Fashioned Burgers. It has replaced Snuffer's as my favorite Dallas area burger joint.

God bless the great state of Texas...