986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tires: Any better options than Michelin PS2 for my 2006 Boxster S? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15068-tires-any-better-options-than-michelin-ps2-my-2006-boxster-s.html)

cerberus 01-15-2008 12:26 PM

Tires: Any better options than Michelin PS2 for my 2006 Boxster S?

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and would like to say hello and have a tire question.

I need to replace the Michelin PS2s on the Boxster S. The car has the factory 19s with 235/35/19 fronts and 265/35/19 rears.

What tires have you guys tried that are comparable to the PS2s in dry performance and durability? I don't care about wet weather ability and cheaper is always a plus.

Also, has anyone tried larger than stock sizes on the factory 19" wheels? Maybe 245/30/19 and 275/30/19? Do you think there are any benefits of going 10mm wider than stock?

Thanks for your help
Sandy

bmussatti 01-15-2008 12:47 PM

Hi Sandy, welcome to the Forum!

I have the 19" PS2's and love them. I have just over 17,000 miles on them, and plan to replace the rears early this summer. Righ after a few early Spring drives. I think the fronts might last me one more summer.

I have thought about other tires too, but after driving the Tail of the Dragon, in rain and dry, I am truly convinced these are great tires. Not cheap.

To me it is not worth the potential "risk" to try new tires that I may or may not like better.

cerberus 01-15-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi Sandy, welcome to the Forum!

I have the 19" PS2's and love them. I have just over 17,000 miles on them, and plan to replace the rears early this summer. Righ after a few early Spring drives. I think the fronts might last me one more summer.

I have thought about other tires too, but after driving the Tail of the Dragon, in rain and dry, I am truly convinced these are great tires. Not cheap.

To me it is not worth the potential "risk" to try new tires that I may or may not like better.

Thanks for the welcome!

What do you think about the Continental Sport Contact 2's? I have them on my other car and they perform fairly well. Howeer, I have never compared them back to back with PS2s.

Sammy 01-15-2008 02:43 PM

Goodyear F1's are a great tire and cheaper than the PS2's. I have used them for a few autocrosses and were much better than the old Pilot Sports I replaced them with (could be because the PS's were at the end of their life so don't take this as a definitive claim that they are not as good as the F1's). I think my F1's end up being a couple hundred dollars less than the PS2's and I am extremely happy with them. I have used them for a few autocrosses (before I invested in dedicated track tires) and drove the Tail of the Dragon in both wet and dry.

racer_d 01-15-2008 02:51 PM

What is it about the PS2s you didn't like? The mileage you got out of them? Performance characteristics?

I believe Porsche certifies more than one brand as OEM. Perhaps Continental or Pirelli? Maybe even Yokohama?

Going 10mm wider would like not be noticable if you find a brand that doesn't come in the OEM Porsche sizes.

I wouldn't casually overlook wet weather performance either, nothing worse then getting caught out in a suprise rain storm, or on a trip, and wish you hadn't skimped out.

kyle986driver 01-15-2008 02:51 PM

I hear the PS2s are great tires, although ive never used them. I have used Kumho ecstaMXs and now hankook ventus rs2's for autocross..both were very good tires

Topless 01-15-2008 03:38 PM

Tires are always a compromise and no tire does everything well. Think about how you plan to use the car next year and use that as a basis to make your tire choice. All tires get pretty lousy at end of life so it's not useful to compare a new tire with one that has been on the car for 2 years.

Here is my 2cents from the cars I have driven. Currently on PS2's:

PS2's- Very good wet or dry, quiet, low rolling resistance (better gas mileage), lousy in snow and ice, very good track tire in street stock class, wear quickly, big$$.

Bridgestone Potensa RE050 Pole Position- nice tire. very similar all around to PS2's, moderate$$.

Bridgestone RE01R- Great s/s track tire, very good wet or dry, useless in snow and ice, a little stiff and noisy around town, wears quickly, moderate$$.

Falken Azenis 615- very good dry, less predictable wet, useless in snow and ice , very good S/S track tire but a little greasy on a hot day, noisy around town, wear quickly, low$$.

Yokohama Advan Neova- Great S/S track tire, great wet or dry, lousy in snow, a little stickier than PS2's but a little noisier also, wear quickly big big $$.

Toyo RA-1- Great spec class track tire (944,986), great dry, good wet, useless in snow, kinda stiff and loud around town, wear quickly, moderate $$.

Those are the ones I know. There are 100's of others. If you are willing to give up a little dry performance there are a handful of all season tires that will work much better in ice and snow and last twice as long. good hunting!

Perfectlap 01-15-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy
Goodyear F1's are a great tire and cheaper than the PS2's.

Yep...BEST wet performance I have ever experienced, which for me is the #1 quality. On dry surfaces all these tires are marginaly the same. The lower price for American rubber seals the deal.

cerberus 01-15-2008 05:26 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the PS2s from a performance perspective. However, mine are heat cycled and need replacement. The only complaint I have of PS2's are the replacement cost. If I can find a comparable dry performer at a lower price point that would be great.

blinkwatt 01-15-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless
Falken Azenis- very good dry, less predictable wet, useless in snow and ice , very good S/S track tire but a little greasy on a hot day, noisy around town, wear quickly, low$$.

Which model Azenis,ST-115 or RT-615?

Topless 01-15-2008 06:43 PM

RT-615. They were mounted on a friends 82 911sc. I think he is on Bridgestones now.

FTD 01-16-2008 06:57 AM

Here's my story. I bought my Box with worn Pzeros. Even though the fronts were still good, I decided I didn't like the Pzeros. I researched and researched and eventually went with the Micheline PS2s. Turns out maybe I despised the Pzeros because they had become square. Anyway, the Michelins are very fine but they are also VERY expensive. Plus I started tracking and man, did that really kill some fun - wearing out the $$$$$$ tread.
So, I found a set of beat up but still round 17" wheels for track. I put some $400 Nexens on them. What's a Nexen? Beats me - but it works and it fit in my budget. Once I wear the Michelins down the plan is to put the Nexens on my everyday 18" and some slicks on the 17". I have taken the Nexens to the N Ga mountains on a rainy day and to the track and I am confident they will be just fine for everyday all weather tires. They cost 1/3 as much as the Michelins, and then I can spend more on the slicks. In fact, a set of Nexens and a very good set of slicks will come out to the price of the Michelin PS2's.
Wish I had this plan to start with - so maybe someone else likes this perspective and can benefit by my lessons.

NickCats 01-16-2008 07:55 AM

FTD,

+ 1 on the Nexens.

I have those on my Box right now ( came with the car ) and I have been very pleased with their performance at the Tail, Autocrossing, and on the track. I have put about 20k miles on them and they need to be replaced ( which I think is pretty good longevity for Boxster tires ) and I plan on sticking with the Nexens the next go round. I would love to get a set of Victoracers for dedicated autocross tires if I could find some cheap 17" rims.

Nick

FTD 01-16-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats
FTD,

+ 1 on the Nexens.

I would love to get a set of Victoracers for dedicated autocross tires if I could find some cheap 17" rims. Nick

Thanks for the vote!
I found my rims on the PCA website. It turned out that the rims were 15 minutes away from home! Very cool. Even cooler - I walked away with four for $250. :dance: :cheers: :dance:
They look pretty beat and the 17" is a bear to clean - getting in to the barrel without the rotor beating up my knuckles was too much of a battle. But I am VERY happy.
And bottom line, paying three times as much for Michelins is hard for me to justify anymore.

edevlin 01-16-2008 08:43 AM

"I have the 19" PS2's and love them. I have just over 17,000 miles on them, and plan to replace the rears early this summer. Righ after a few early Spring drives. I think the fronts might last me one more summer."

17,000 miles, ha, I wish, I am lucky to get 6,000 miles on a set of PS2 rears, and I dont track the car, just a little spirited driving from time to time.....

Ed

:cheers:

saaber 01-16-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats
FTD,

+ 1 on the Nexens.

I have those on my Box right now ( came with the car ) and I have been very pleased with their performance at the Tail, Autocrossing, and on the track. I have put about 20k miles on them and they need to be replaced ( which I think is pretty good longevity for Boxster tires ) and I plan on sticking with the Nexens the next go round. I would love to get a set of Victoracers for dedicated autocross tires if I could find some cheap 17" rims.

Nick

I have had excellent luck with the Nexens also (18"s). Over 17k miles and they are still pretty good (photo of rears below). Almost wish the back ones didn't grip so well so I could powerslide more ha ha.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r.../back2copy.jpg

BOXZING 01-16-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerberus
Thanks for the welcome!

What do you think about the Continental Sport Contact 2's? I have them on my other car and they perform fairly well. Howeer, I have never compared them back to back with PS2s.

Sandy, my Boxster came new with Sport Contact 2s and I loved them. I got 22,850 out of them. When it came time to swap out, I went cheap, Sumitomo HTRZII. They are a bit iffy in the rain and have very square profiles. The sidewall doesn't buldge out too far and they look too narrow.

CBAD-986 01-21-2008 10:17 PM

Which Nexen Tires

:cool:

So I am interested in the Nexens, Which version of the tire is making everyone so happy?

Thanks

NickCats 01-22-2008 06:17 AM

N3000 :

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Nexen&ti rename=N3000&season=

I have 225/40ZR18 front and 265/35RR18 rear so about $400 for a set.

Nick

saaber 01-22-2008 06:27 AM

Mine are N3000 also.

Last week I drove on the Freeway through the Cascades and the last 50 miles there was standing water everywhere. It was raining so hard I almost could not see. I expected the tires to hydroplane horribly but they really did amazingly well on standing water at 70 mph. Had zero hydroplaning in the rear and the front hydroplaning was minimal compared to what I was expecting.