Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #1

Rust in the engine compartment?

Hi all,
As I work on changing out some parts, I am finding areas that have excessive rusting. Example: the clamps that hold the intake hose on are completely severed from rust (new ones on order). The fuel rails have some rust on one site too and many of the screws are rusted.

The VIN history doesn't show any flood damage and this is the only area there is a problem. I suspect, that it was either driven on salty wet roads during the winter (the original owner was from Vermont), or someone did an engine spray.

Anyone else see this before? I am going to be changing out the exhaust and I bet I'll need new clamps and header bolts. I've got to get under there this weekend.
Chris

Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #2

Just curious about

1) Age of car
2) Geographic location over the years

Both of these could contribute to surface rusting.. As you mentioned, while there is no known history of flooding, it is a possibilty as well (although slim, imho)

Doh.. just saw the part about the Vermont history.. Could be a result of winter driving on heavily salted roads. Especially WET salted roads.. spray can get almost everywhere. if not rinsed/washed in a timely maner, rust can set in.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #3

Even for Vermont, that SOUNDS a bit extreme to me. The car fax etc. is not reliable for flood damage (or much else) so you may have that issue. If you have the car on a lift, there are usually other signs of flood damage.

Having said all that, a thorough under car inspection is in order to figure out the scope of your problems, if any.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Porschephile

I've got some rust in strange places on mine. I bought it in November. It's in storage for the winter and I haven't looked in the motor compartment yet. I've found lots of screws and fasteners rusted out. All the bleeder valves and all other hardware on my calipers are rusted out. Already changed out the rusted lug nuts. A bunch of other items I can't think of right now. I'm in th ecar business so I can be pretty sure it hasn't been under water. But it did come from a coastal town near atlantic city. I think it spent a lot of time outside. Been replacing every rusted bit I find.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
bmussatti

I wonder if this is any indication of a car that was not driven much, or very far, and never really got up to true operating temps, hence moisture build-up and condensation. Just a thought.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
^^^^^^^ +1
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #7

Never thought about the not driven much scenario. There is no other damage that would be from water anywhere else. It is a 1999 and had 48k when I bought it. I am the 3rd owner and the 2nd person only had it for 1.5 years and it was more of a garage ornament then as less than 3k was put on it.

I took a quick peek underneath last night and I know I need to change out the muffler bolts and brackets when I do that job. I plan on jacking it up tomorrow to take a better look.
Chris
Old 01-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #8

This is turning into my chronicles of working on the car.
I got underneath and yes it does need to have new exhaust bolts and clamps. When I went to take out the MAF on of the screw heads severed and it too an act of congress to get it out. As much as I hate to 'jerry-rig' something, I had no choice and had to completely change the screws on the MAF. One side of the plastic was completely gone so I had to use a long screw to reach down into the lower plastic. I was thinking of doing a new intake so I wasn't too worried about the look as long as it was functional.

Once I got it all together (3 hours later) it was clean and solid. Took it for a drive and no CEL yet and runs well. After I put the rear speakers in then next will be the exhaust.
Chris