Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #1

OEM look radio with XM

Hope you guys can find something I can not.

I am looking for a single DIN headunit that looks like it could have been OEM (orange or red display)

Ipod controlls are not needed but a plus. XM or Sirrus radio is needed.

Please post pictures if you have them.

Thanks or your time. and I look forward to your suggestions.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Gary,

Here's a list of all of the Becker radios, but it doesn't look like any of them are satellite ready :

http://www.mybecker.com/beckerCms/www_root/ar03/templates/Ar03Gallery.jsp?language=En&organisation=003&navSeq=239

Maybe shoot them an email or give them a call ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

If you spend a great deal of time in an office or in front of the PC you should consider a portable Satelite radio. I have one that I plug into the back of my PC and listen to CNBC and Stern instead of slowing down my network with streaming audio. I'm not sure what the latest packages offer but when I signed up two years ago you had to have seperate subscriptions for each device.
I think double DIN is better for Satelitte because you can scroll through the channels before actually switching to them, like when you hit info on your Direct TV or cable tv. A combination GPS/MP3/Sirius would be excellent, I saw something similar in this girl's 07 E class Merc.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #4

Here's a quick way to save ~$77.00 for those with XM:

I just cancelled my XM radio because after having it for a year, I discovered I prefer terrestrial radio. But when I called to cancel, XM offered me a one year renewal at half-price. I told them even if it was free, I wouldn't want it... and they finally cancelled my subscription after 17 sales pitches.

Back to the original topic now.....
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #5

^ how is that possible?
I left my Sirius at home one day by accident and I got in the Boxster for a nearly two hour drive. I'm not kidding when I tell you after about 30 minutes I was going to drive back home because FM radio around here sucks so bad. Every station is playing the same 10 songs for 30 minutes of each hour and then its commercials for another 30 minutes. Totaly the opposite problem with Sirius, too many choices.
The CNBC on there is my fave, I actually listen to the NASCAR radio for un-intentional comedy value and the "Chill" station simply couldn't exist on FM.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ how is that possible?
I left my Sirius at home one day by accident and I got in the Boxster for a nearly two hour drive. I'm not kidding when I tell you after about 30 minutes I was going to drive back home because FM radio around here sucks so bad. Every station is playing the same 10 songs for 30 minutes of each hour and then its commercials for another 30 minutes. Totaly the opposite problem with Sirius, too many choices.
The CNBC on there is my fave, I actually listen to the NASCAR radio for un-intentional comedy value and the "Chill" station simply couldn't exist on FM.
Couldn't have said it any better, I go postal when getting stuck without my Sirius. You take for granted how many commercials are on terrestrial radio, and I swear I will drive off a cliff if I hear Soulja Boy one more time....
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #7

I have Sirius at home, at work, and on the bike, and I use the Ipod in my cars. Every time I go to Texas and have to listen to 2 1/2 hours of regular radio in the rental car on the trip from Dallas to Abilene I feel like puncturing my eardrums with a sharp pencil. I forget how many commercials they play on terrestrial radio !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 01-16-2008 at 06:22 AM.
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #8

Now that this thread has been thoroughly highjacked...

I can't stand to be w/o my sat radio either. Too many commercials and it always seems all the stations are playing commercials at the same time.

Fan of XM here.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
Now that this thread has been thoroughly highjacked...

I can't stand to be w/o my sat radio either. Too many commercials and it always seems all the stations are playing commercials at the same time.

Fan of XM here.

I dont think its highjacked...we are all showing how much we like our sat radios.

How are you guys listening to them in your Boxster?

Right now I have I Pioneer deck with everything integrated and thats how I want to keep it. But I want to get rid of the blue lights and the silver on the radio. Thats why I am asking the question about the sat radio.

Do those of you that have sat radio in your car are you using a built in headunit? Which models are you using?

Here is a picture of my interior and you will see why I need a new radio.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #10

I'm using an XM Pioneer Portable Inno in the car dock sitting in my center console ashtray transmitting on FM frequency 88.1. The sound quality is really degraded. The antenna and power wires are tucked alongside the console.

I think my set up is the worst possible but would rather not have an XM ready head unit that looks out of place on the dash. The ease of portablility is a plus though since I have ~400 songs saved in the Inno.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #11

I use the portable Sirius Sportster with the suction cup windshield mount, nothing special. I like the portability so I can use it in any vehicle, and the cradle for the house connected to a bose radio. Something more streamlined and not so obvious would be nice though....