986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Speaking of cheapo cars... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15049-speaking-cheapo-cars.html)

Perfectlap 01-14-2008 11:18 AM

Speaking of cheapo cars...

I have to arrange for a lease of a fuel efficient bare bones cheap car in Orlando, Florida.
My Options are Kia (Rio), Hyundai, Chevy (Aveo), Toyota (Saris), Suzuki.
I'm looking for a rock bottom monthly bill and high fuel efficiency. Seems like I can pull this off for less than $11K and there has to be minimal cash laid out.
Any suggestions or experience?

cvhs18472 01-14-2008 11:28 AM

When my son started driving I got him a new 2002 Hyundai Elantra. It now has 155k on the clock and still runs well. low 20's around town and high 20's low 30's on a long trip. I got him the Elantra because of his size 6'6' and 280. From what I understand the smaller Hyundai is much more fuel efficient and just as reliable. If you keep your service records there is no problem using the warantee.

saaber 01-14-2008 11:40 AM

Yaris is the best out of that list of "cars". I don't understand the $11k part. Are you trying to buy a car for that? Yaris is around $16k. Golf, I mean rabbit, is also $16k but I guess that is not an option? If you get a Yaris the "s" or sport model has seats that are more adjustable and will be more comfortable over many miles vs. the base car.

A possible cheaper and more reliable option (Toyota Yaris excluded I mean) is to buy a 92-95 civic VX. They get 56 mpg when new and used get about 51 mpg. The last one I bought I paid $2700 for. They will drive forever and cost next to nothing to keep on the road.

Base corollas and civics can get around 40mpg so a used one of these may be an ultrareliable option too and will get about the same mileage as the ones you mentioned?

Perfectlap 01-14-2008 12:18 PM

Yaris according to these guys starts at $12K or so. But either way I'm not financing, I should have made that clearer.
Used Honda may not be a bad idea. That would avoid comprehensive insurance each month.

Chills 01-14-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvhs18472
When my son started driving I got him a new 2002 Hyundai Elantra. It now has 155k on the clock and still runs well. low 20's around town and high 20's low 30's on a long trip. I got him the Elantra because of his size 6'6' and 280. From what I understand the smaller Hyundai is much more fuel efficient and just as reliable. If you keep your service records there is no problem using the warantee.

+1

My DD is a 2002 Hyundai Elantra. I inherited it from my wife when I bought her a new car. It has 90k+ miles and runs great. Driving very consertively I can get 35 mph combined highway/city.

The few problems I've had were taken care of quickly by Hyundai. Good folks to work with.

dcporsche99 01-14-2008 12:54 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I went through the latest Consumer reports book ('01-'06) before my dad bought his Toyota 4Runner. It definitely shows that Toyotas, Hondas, and a few other Japanese makes and models have better than average results across the board. And their rating as used cars is better than average as well.

Just the other day at a local car shop, I met a guy who owned a '94 Corolla (original owner) with well over 300K. According to him, he's only had minor maintanence issues. Many other folks I know with Hondas and Toyotas have very similar stories (over 180K w/ minimal issues).

Good luck with your choice!

victory3 01-14-2008 01:04 PM

My Mother got into a Chevy Aveo, recently for about 12k. Its not a bad car, the interior looks good but is cheaply made. You can feel it in the interior parts, if you were to tug on certian interior parts hard enough, they would just pop off. But for the money its what you'd expect. Gas mileage is great, on the car. And I have taken it for a spin twice, and was actually amazed that the Aveo, has some decent pickup. Small size and fairly responsive steering, seem to make it an ok car for driving around town and commuting. If you slap in an aftermarket Stereo System, dare I say that this car can maybe even been fun. It's by far not our Boxsters mind you, but for a kick-around car around 12k not too shabby.

-VICTORY 3

djomlas 01-14-2008 01:15 PM

just get that Peel car, from the video they claim it gets about 100mpg :)

rick3000 01-14-2008 01:45 PM

What are you trying to do with it? Does it need to be new?
You could find an old (newer version) Mini Cooper in that price range. The reason I suggest that, is because my sisters consistently gets about 35+ MPG.

saaber 01-14-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Yaris according to these guys starts at $12K or so. But either way I'm not financing, I should have made that clearer.
Used Honda may not be a bad idea. That would avoid comprehensive insurance each month.

Wow you are right the Yaris is 12k now, i remember them being much more when they first came out in the US (they were out in Europe for a long time prior to the US). This car has a good track record and has been around long enough to work out all the bugs. I have had a bazillion cars and without a doubt the most consistently realiable cars have been the simplest available toyota followed extremely closely by the simplest Honda.

The Honda fit is another ultra-reliable and excellent car with an amazing amount of room but I don't know the current price (these cars have been out as the Honda Jazz in Europe for a long time also).

Another car to consider is the geo/chevy prism. The prism (prism only, not any other geo/chevy model) is a Toyota Corolla and is made side-by-side in the same factory. You can get a prism for much, much less than a corolla and it is the same car. I don't remember when they stopped making these though so they may be too old. Gas mileage is same as corolla of course.

Dr. Kill 01-14-2008 02:27 PM

Is this for you, a family member or employee? What are you using it for - DD? Doing some work in Orlando and need a ride when you are down there?

How long do you intend to keep the car? If you are leasing for just 1 year, what is the $11k figure for?

These answers should help clarify the situation a bit.

Sammy 01-14-2008 02:31 PM

I had a Hyundai Sonata as a rental car for a long business trip and I must say I was quite impressed. It felt very solid despite what I expected and the ride was pretty good. Nothing fancy, just a nice little car. I actually will consider a Hyundai as a future purchase in the event I need something economical.

dcporsche99 01-14-2008 04:22 PM

Speaking of a mini-cooper. How about a classic mini?? :D

Here's a link (c/o Grizz) that shows a 1962 mini going for 15K.

http://www.steeldreamz.com/Cars_from_1960%27s_and_1970%27s.htm

Jeph 01-14-2008 04:35 PM

You want a lease? For how long, and how many miles do you plan on driving?

Of what you've listed, I'd say either Toyota (Scion?) or Hyundai. Hyundai has a great warranty! That's the advantage of a new car.

But I say go with a used Civic though. No lease contracts or mileage to worry about, it reduces insurance woes, and by the time you sell it, you'll have spent the least amount of money compared to your leasing options (most likely).

LoveBunny 01-14-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saaber
Yaris is the best out of that list of "cars". I don't understand the $11k part. Are you trying to buy a car for that? Yaris is around $16k. Golf, I mean rabbit, is also $16k but I guess that is not an option? If you get a Yaris the "s" or sport model has seats that are more adjustable and will be more comfortable over many miles vs. the base car.

A possible cheaper and more reliable option (Toyota Yaris excluded I mean) is to buy a 92-95 civic VX. They get 56 mpg when new and used get about 51 mpg. The last one I bought I paid $2700 for. They will drive forever and cost next to nothing to keep on the road.

Base corollas and civics can get around 40mpg so a used one of these may be an ultrareliable option too and will get about the same mileage as the ones you mentioned?

My ex has a '95 Civic and has done the worst possible job of anyone I've ever met maintaining his car. It won't die.

Chills 01-15-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBunny
My ex has a '95 Civic and has done the worst possible job of anyone I've ever met maintaining his car. It won't die.

hahaha. My ex-wife still has our old '99 Civic. She tries to do regular maintenance but forgets. That car has close to 200k and still runs great.

Civics are great cars. I bought my current wife one. The new ones are pretty cool. They don't feel like an "entry level" Honda.

Dr. Kill 01-15-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chills
The new ones are pretty cool. They don't feel like an "entry level" Honda.

I agree. My dad bought one recently. I drove it around a little and thought it was a great little car - even if you don't consider the pricepoint.

Perfectlap 01-15-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Is this for you, a family member or employee? What are you using it for - DD? Doing some work in Orlando and need a ride when you are down there?

How long do you intend to keep the car? If you are leasing for just 1 year, what is the $11k figure for?

These answers should help clarify the situation a bit.

its for a family member who lives most of the year but renting cars all the time for the random one or two week visit is getting old. Basically, very low mileage just something to get around in. My thought process on a leasing was that you'd always have a fairly new hassle free car at all times. I figure the lower the sticker price the lower the monthly lease price.

p.s.
I thought about a mini! I just the car on a list of best resale values. Do those cars come with automatic transmissions?

xxxalexxxx 01-15-2008 08:29 AM

from my experience, Hyundai cars are very reliable, great quality (newer ones have like a 10 yr warranty anyway) and pretty comfy and you can get them for really cheap. So I would go with that. My brother in law drives a Sonata for business and the car isn't exactly taken care of as a car should be but he hasn't had one single problem with it in the last 10 yrs ( its a 98) except the window on the passanger side wouldn't work because the window motor gave out but even that was covered by the warranty. I would say its your best bet for the cheapest price.

and yes mini coopers do come in automatics as well. They are a little more pricey though vs most of the other cars u mentioned originally

lapis986 01-15-2008 09:05 PM

Toyota of orlando has ads all the time on tv here. They recently advertised a Corolla (sure it was a base model) for like 12K. High volume dealer I guess? You could probably recoup most of that when you sell it. Lots of service people here (working in the theme park service industry) who don't make too much money so cars in that price range or lower if used are always marketable. My Acura 3.2 has about 162K on it and runs like new- seriously everything works including the seat heaters. Killer Bose stereo was stock, ample room for a couple adults and friends to go out on the town If you can pick one up they are one of the nicer cars I've ever driven and I got 28-30 MPG on the highway. My son drives it now, I got my box!