986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cayman Versus Boxster 'Hips' (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/14984-cayman-versus-boxster-hips.html)

drburton 01-09-2008 01:01 PM

Cayman Versus Boxster 'Hips'

I noticed that when the Cayman and 987 Boxster are compared I often hear Cayman owners claiming they like the Cayman better because of the more distinguished 'hips'. They say they are higher and look better, more curvy etc..

Does anyone know if this is actually true? I think they look pretty close to the same. I guess the Cayman may look a bit more curvy but that seems to be an optical illusion because of the way the top comes down.

Just wondering if anyone knew if the Cayman actually has higher hips.

CJ_Boxster 01-09-2008 01:07 PM

I think your right, i think its an Opitcal illusion. i think its the slope and ridges on the edges of the Cayman that give the illusion that the rear fenders have curvier hips... but in the boxster they dont appear that way cause the trunk lid is curved also so the fenders dont stand out from the rest of the rear end like they do in the Cayman.

unklekraker 01-09-2008 01:16 PM

This (Boxster) hips don't lie :D

porsche986spyder 01-09-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drburton
I noticed that when the Cayman and 987 Boxster are compared I often hear Cayman owners claiming they like the Cayman better because of the more distinguished 'hips'. They say they are higher and look better, more curvy etc..

Does anyone know if this is actually true? I think they look pretty close to the same. I guess the Cayman may look a bit more curvy but that seems to be an optical illusion because of the way the top comes down.

Your right! The 2 cars shape is the same. If they don't believe you, send them to the Zeintop web site and have them look at the 987 with the hardtop on it. Looks exactly the same as a Cayman in shape and form. That a good way to see how close they are. :D

vincesf 01-09-2008 02:18 PM

I believe they are the same, but of course I've never been attracted to a car's hips. I look at the overall package before committing.
vincesf

CJ_Boxster 01-09-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincesf
I believe they are the same, but of course I've never been attracted to a car's hips.
vincesf

If you dont look at hips, you must be a headlights kinda guy... ;)

j.fro 01-09-2008 03:39 PM

Her body means nothing! It's what's on the inside that really counts. :D

CJ_Boxster 01-09-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro
Her body means nothing! It's what's on the inside that really counts. :D

You have to first like what you see on the exterior before you want to even see what the interior looks like.

986speedster 01-09-2008 04:55 PM

You guys crack me up!!!!

blue2000s 01-09-2008 05:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that I read in a magazine article that the Cayman's rear fenders are shaped differently than the Boxster. But either way, the perception is what matters here. If they're dimensionally the same or not, they do appear to be different.

Kirk 01-09-2008 05:28 PM

I agree that the Cayman does seem to have more pronounced hips. I was just at a Porsche dealer last week and pointed this out to my wife when I noticed it. I like the look personally, but I honestly can't say whether it's an optical illusion or not.

djomlas 01-09-2008 05:58 PM

they both ugly...and small
gotta go with Cadillac, more cushion for the pushin' :D

LoveBunny 01-09-2008 11:07 PM

If there is a difference in the "hips" I don't think it's much of a difference. I think it's just in the roof. When trying to decide between a Boxster and a Cayman I literally was sitting at my computer with a picture of both cars and held my finger over the top of the Cayman. Looked like a Boxster at that point. I think the shape of the Cayman is beautiful, but you can't put the top down.

Brucelee 01-10-2008 07:02 AM

If I had the dough, I would buy both. I like both cars lines and see why folks are attracted to either design.

The cayman LOOKS lower so I guess that is what matters.

Brucelee 01-10-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drburton

BTW-Your Box looks mighy fine.

Nice wheels.

:)

humara 01-10-2008 08:47 AM

What good are the hips and the headlights if you can't get her top off??

:D

dmcutter 01-10-2008 11:33 AM

"BTW-Your Box looks migthy fine.

Nice wheels."

These are things that get me in trouble when I say them to women...well, not so much the nice wheels part...

jdaks 01-10-2008 02:08 PM

Here is a quick look I put together showing the Boxster and Cayman together. Hips look pretty similar to me.

http://www.racedaycaseday.com/Images...sche-Combo.gif

drburton 01-10-2008 02:30 PM

Very cool, thanks for the illustration

jdaks 01-10-2008 04:03 PM

Then, of course, there is also the Boxster/Cayman/Turbo Cab combo.... :rolleyes:

http://www.racedaycaseday.com/Images/Misc/Combo.jpg