986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Anyone looking to upgrade to a 987s (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/14968-anyone-looking-upgrade-987s.html)

idheaton 01-08-2008 12:49 PM

Anyone looking to upgrade to a 987s

surfing thru CL and saw this....

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/532256751.html

Pretty well optioned S in non-S price range...not to shabby if it's on the up and up, the tip kinda kills it for me.... along with the lack of money... :)

LoveBunny 01-08-2008 01:11 PM

That is a pretty low price. I know someone who called about an Acura for sale at a price that seemed too good to be true. Turned out somebody had died in the car and they were REALLY trying to get rid of it.

rick3000 01-08-2008 01:45 PM

It can sometimes be to good to be true, or you can just be in the right place at the right time. One of my dads friends bought am old Porsche for half the KBB value because the PO got divorced and the wife wanted to piss him off.

blkboxster 01-08-2008 02:00 PM

I would feel weird driving it knowing that the last person driving it is dead.

husker boxster 01-08-2008 02:19 PM

Beware of the deal that sounds too good to be true. This might be totally legit but there are red flags:

No mention of how many miles, which is interesting when considered with pt #2.

Almost too much info in the ad, like it was cut and pasted from somewhere else. Who lists the countries of content or smog index?

A poor, distraught widow who must sell the car THIS WEEK. Hurry or you'll miss the deal of the century. No one would suspect a nice lady to be a theif.

I'll bet she (they) will want a couple thousand dollar down payment wired to "her".

Sorry for being cynical but this looks really fishy. Course this advice is coming from someone who just PayPal'd a total stranger $875 for wheels. :rolleyes:

dcporsche99 01-08-2008 02:23 PM

Yeah, I would have to agree with a few of the guys on this....having the thought of the deceased whether true or not wouldn't sit well with me... ;)

LoveBunny 01-08-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
It can sometimes be to good to be true, or you can just be in the right place at the right time. One of my dads friends bought am old Porsche for half the KBB value because the PO got divorced and the wife wanted to piss him off.

I've been hearing that story for years. Are you sure he actually knows someone it happened to?

BTW, there are definitely scam car ads out there. My brother's friend ran across one and my brother, who works in IT and understands how computer/internet stuff works, asked the seller why his e-mails were coming from Germany. He gave some b.s. reason that was totally not possible. Also, the same car ad that he was looking at appeared listed on craigslist in several different cities, exact same ad. So be VERY careful!

drburton 01-08-2008 02:59 PM

This could easily be real. I was willing to go to $40K on my Boxster 'S' when I had it on the market a couple of months ago. This one is an automatic with terracota. Not particularly high demand items. Seems like any of the automatics for sale end up selling at lower prices.

rick3000 01-08-2008 03:29 PM

@LoveBunny

Yah, my dad knows the guy. They worked together for a while. Although, it could have been falsified a bit. Who knows?
:cheers:

LoveBunny 01-08-2008 03:58 PM

that's so funny that your dad actually knows the guy. I've been hearing variations of that story for at least 15 years. I thought I found a car like that in the paper once and called up to see what the deal was. I was thinking maybe I got super lucky. Turned out the car needed an engine.

Bob Z. 01-09-2008 05:30 AM

It could be legit - if he was getting rid of it and had the choice of trading it for a real low price or making an extra grand or so by lowering it he still make out better.