Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #1

PCM 1 on 01 S

Hello All,

This is my first post here, I am currently shopping for a Boxster and have found one that may be interesting.

Thing is, it has the PCM 1 and the phone kit (I am in Europe), which I don't like as I am sure a 7 year old sat nav will be totally useless and slow (not a great fan of sat navs, give me an old map any day).

My questions are:
- Can it be removed and the climate control unit be placed back up, in its original position with a new stereo underneath?
- If it can't, does the dash CD thingy for the navigation discs also act as a CD player? The car also has a CD changer in the front trunk.

Thanks in advance!

Riccardo

PS: attached actual picture if the car's dash, for reference

Rgubbioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #2

Hey Riccardo,

You can move many of those items around with some work & $$.

Think of four slots in your dash about 3 inches tall. Currently your PCM screen consumes slot 1 and slot 2, the PCM CD consumes slot 3 and your climate control consumes slot 4.

I just pulled my cup holder out of slot 1 and moved the climate control from slot 4 (similar to what you want to do) to slot 1. If you do so you will need to purchase the trim piece and the mounts, about $10.00 USD (let me know if you need part numbers and I'll get them for ya). You will then need to find a radio to fill slot 2 that will work with your CD changer, this is the $$$ item. You can pull the PCM CD in slot 3 and order the 2 cubbie holes, about $60.00 USD from the a dealer. This makes a nice little place to store your cell phone and shades.

As for the PCM unit, you might place it on ebay to recover the expenses above.

If you need more info let me know.

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote