Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 08:21 AM   #1

i hope i can help others

ok i just got this new program dont ask how i got it but it the same one that some dealerships use it is called alldata it gives a complete diagrams instructions part numbers cost service techs and so for porsche.if any techinacal info is needed i can probably find it i hope this helps chris

TO2IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #2

here ya go

i tryed to send this forum a sneak peak but i found out this program requires me to print info then scan it to my files then i can post so i am expermenting with this any way here is a sample of a exploded veiw of your top it has step by step on how to replace it including shop hours coooolllll
Old 09-19-2004, 08:31 AM   #3

opps upside down lol new to this
Old 09-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
porsche986

looks like a great program. i have seen this for sale on ebay
Old 09-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #5

check engine warning light

Hi, I've got an amber "check engine" warning light on my 2000 Boxster and it appears a faulty ogygen sensor is the likely cause. Does your AllData have troubleshooting for check engine warning light and/or info on oxygen sensors (there are 4, I believe)...installation technique, part numbers, cost, etc. Thanks.
vrauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #6

my car had the same problem when i went to check it out at the dealer.once you run it on their computer it will tell you which o2sensor is faulty. their is 4 o2 sensors very simple to replace yourself each is around 135-160 each.but unless u want to replace all 4 you must know which bank is faulty. i will get you pics on replacement today. chris
Old 09-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #7

here u go

this is a exploded view
Old 09-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #8

Thanks. I'll figure out which sensor it is, but a question I have...did you (or your mechanic) access the sensors from underneath the car or from the engine compartment? And if from underneath (my guess), did you have to remove some of the "ground effects" plastics? I would thing you would. I'll probably tackle it myself. BTW, FYI, you can get your OBD II codes tested for free from your local Autozone store. They do the test and give you the fault codes, and then you have to figure it out from there. I'm counting on a forum or google search to get that answer. Heck of a lot better deal than $100.00 per hour for diagnostics at the Porsche dealer. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #9

i have all the fault codes on this and yes remove from the bottom with a i think 22 mm o2 wrench its like a brake line wrench but open end will work i will find the removal procedure for you.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:44 AM   #11

u will have to print these to read. chris
Old 09-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #12

check engine warning light

Chris, Thanks. I got two fault codes....P1128 and P1130 on the OBD II readout. Can you post the service procedure to fix this? I believe it has something to do with running too rich or too lean, because the car drives fine...good acceleration, same gas mileage etc. but the exhaust does smell pretty bad and I get a blast of white smoke at start-up that lasts for a second or two. I believe the oxygen sensor is supposed to send a signal to the control unit for proper fuel/air mixture....so I don't think there is a manual adjustment I can make but I can be wrong. If the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced, then I need to know which one(s). I think the service manual identifies them as bank one (cyl 1-3) and bank two (cyl 4-6) but I don't know which one is which...plus there's 2 O2 sensors on each side...front and rear....I need to figure that out as well. The Boxster only has 13.5K miles on it so somebody suggested that I just clear the fault read-out (by overriding them with the OBD II tester) which will put out the warning light and not worry about it, but I hate to do that and risk damaging the catalytic converters, or damaging the engine. I appreciate your time and help on this. Thanks. I haven't found much on the web regarding what P1128 and P1130 means for a Porsche. Vytas
Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #13

P1128 and P1130 are error codes thrown by the front two O2 sensors(located just after the headers and front 2 Cats on each side) when they have gone bad. You should look into replaceing the sensors. Normally around $100 each from what I remember paying, I think....
Replaces both sensors and have ECU cleared for error codes and that should be the last you see about it.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:15 PM   #14

The O2's don't go bad by themselves with that many miles on them.

You will be better off trying to figure out why there bad, then replacing the bad O2's.

You true problem lie's in the oil seperator most likely...

Your excessive smoking is analogous with the seperator.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #15

Guys, thanks for the information. I have a few more questions. The smoking at start-up is gone. The car runs great but the foul exhaust smell is still there (but actually, it always smelled pretty bad at start up until it warmed up a bit, so I can't say for sure if it's worse). My question is if I got a fault reading from the o2 sensors, then is it stored in the ECU memory and will it always keep the "check engine" light on until it is cleared, or will the light go out once the problem is fixed or the reading falls back into the acceptable range? I'm thinking maybe there was a spike in the reading which caused the error message and it has now corrected itself and is once again operating within acceptable parameters. Remember the car only has 13.5K miles on it. Should I try and get someone with the OBD2 tester clear the fault message and see if it comes back or is that a bad idea? If you guys think the problem that caused the spike needs to be found first, where should I look? Loose vacuum connection? Loose or dirty O2 plug connection? Is there a manual air/fuel mixture screw somewhere that I can tweek? Buying new o2 sensors and installing them may be premature or is that the way to go? Does anybody know the recommended service procedure to correct P1128 and P1130? Thanks again...all input is appreciated. Vytas