Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: 986 now -or- order a 987 and wait
get the 986 now (assuming a price break) 1 16.67%
order a 987 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to janzenms
order 987 -or- buy 986 (heard any trunk money rumors)

So its almost decision time. I'm either going to go out and get a 2004 986 or order a 987. I work in San Francisco and live near Sacramento and there are about 10 dealerships within a reasonable drive. Their lots are loaded with new 2003 and 2004 Boxsters. Lots to choose from.

I'm assuming Porsche will secretly offer dealers some trunk money (incentives, etc) to help liquidate their 986 inventories. We all know sales have been soft and now with the official 987 news its bound to get softer unless they do something.

1. Has anyone heard any rumors about Porsche offering trunk money to dealerships?

2. What would you do? Buy a new 986 now (assuming a good price break) or order a 987 and wait?

...or is it foolish to even consider ordering a version A car this soon?

My gut tells me to go get the deal on the 986 and wait for the 987 to be on the road a year or so before even considering it.

Thoughts?

My other hobbie: emptum, GETitSELLit, CARazed
-----------------------------

http://static.flickr.com/55/128864958_14b7e6dbeb_m.jpg

Last edited by janzenms; 09-10-2004 at 08:17 AM.
janzenms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
im poor, so the 996 would be the way for me to go (not a bad option) -- so if money is a concern, then go that way... deals are bound to be had.

If you can wait, AND you have deeper pockets than mine, well, newer is almost always better. The car is beautiful, and despite a few things that are not the favorites amoung Porschephiles (i.e. dash vents, steering wheel), they are livable. Besides, you just KNOW some aftermarket company will have a nice looking steering wheel for the 997 inside of 6 months of release.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:13 AM   #3

Few scenarios:
1- Money no object- go 987 no brainer.
2- Tight money- get the Anniversary edition new only 16 hp difference there.
3- Get a 2004 demo low miles, or Anniversary edition same low miles. You will still be covered by the factory warranty.

I bought mine 2003 with 3,000 miles in Dec of 2003 and save myself a nice piece of change. See which is best for you and select.
Lots of luck with your new purchase
Old 09-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #4

Wow, I've never looked at the 2 cars side-by-side like that. Personally I would go with the 987 if I was shopping new. However I live in AZ and don't pay sales tax on private party sales so buying used for me is a really good thing saves LOTS of money. =)

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #5

The sales tax is the same for me used/new/dealer/private... its just a percentage of the price. I'd save money on the 986 and it seems like the "better deal" but I really want the newer one. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #6

I'd want to see and drive the 987 before buying - If the 987 is an improvement, and you can afford to buy new, this would seem like the better choice.

thought - First year models are a better resale value if the car hits 'classic' status.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #7

At the moment I'm leaning toward the 987. The new 986 only seems like a good idea if the price is right. At the moment it seems many dealers are willing to let them go at invoice. (the advertised sale prices all seem to be at invoice.) but I havn't heard (read) a word about trunk money back to dealers.

At the begining of october I'll make my decision. If anyone hears any rumors about dealers really dealing I'd love to hear what you know. Otherwise I'll go place my order for a 987.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2004, 11:53 AM   #8
Lux

The decision should be easy.

1. Do you like the new exterior design?
I think in stock form the 987 exterior looks a little better. But I have the aerokit which I think looks best.

2. Do you like the new interior?
I don't. It looks less sporty. I hate the squareness of the dash, the steering wheel, the vents, the fact that the window switches have been put on the doors, the busy buttons , etc.

3. Do you want to buy the first year and the teething problems that it will have?

These are really the only differences IMO as the hp/tq change is not much of a difference (price relative to current S price vs. '05 S price).

Right now you can get an new '04 S for the about same price you will be paying for a new '05 Base. Not to mention that you get to enjoy it now. Otherwise, you can keep playing this waiting game forever as there will always be "better" versions waiting around the corner.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #9

Lux... thats the same advice I've been getting from my circle of car experts.... and thats the same reason I posted.

The 987 looks great and I'll definitely get one (someday) but I'm tired of waiting, I've got the cash, I'm warry of the first year blues a new model brings.

But I also don't want to kick myself for jumping on a 986 now when in a few months I could have exactly what I want... ordered from stuggart.

I guess the right thing to do is... get the 2004 S now, dirve it for a year plus... wait for Porsche to work things out with the 987 and then trade up to one next year. I won't loose much money in depreciation and I'm sure I can get a good deal on a 986.

Thanks Lux.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #10

Assuming a quick turn-around, wouldn't your resale money be safer in a used S than a new S.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #11

good point... unless the new S's are really discounted. But you know... with the 987 and a glut of 2004 boxsters on the lots... doesn't that threaten the resale value of all Boxsters?

Old 09-15-2004, 06:28 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
I wouldn't trade an 04 until all of the current stock is depleted.

I sold cars for 6 years and have seen people taking a bath trading the previous generation when they are still on the lot new.

If Porsche is good to us ( the 04 owners ) they will not offer a large sum of trunk money This could make it harder for the dealers to get rid of their pre-owned 04's over a discounted new 04.

Mazda had this problem on the 1994 RX7 where the car had an MSRP of 40-42K and up to a total of 11K of rebates and trunk money.

Market value of the 94 RX7 used at that time was still in the mid 30s

This was a great deal for RX7 buyers wanting a new 94, killed resale on the 92 and 93. The 94 soon dropped when the 95s hit the street. If a dealer was well into a 94 when the 95s hit, it was extremely difficult to sell without loosing their a$$.

Mazda was caught with its pants down, because they printed literature for a 1995 RX7. Mazda tried to cancel production of the 1995 RX7 because there were so many 94s still on the ground and at the ports.

An interesting Federal Law makes an automaker produce a certain number of cars if they release literature and advertise to the public a new model and then decide not to produce the car.

Mazda was forced to produce 300 1995 RX7s. There were no incentives on the 1995 model.

Just about every dealer got one or two. It really sucked if they got an Automatic (which was not a slouch, but the image of an Automatic sports car made it difficult to sell).

When the 1995 model hit the lots, new and used 1994s were still on the ground.

OK, a 1994 new RX7 40-42K sticker where you can get it for 20K all day long (cheaper than a used 94),
or
a 1995 RX7 for 40-43k sticker with no more than 2300 when getting into the hold back (which Mazda started in 94 ala Ford). Then add a severely compromised resale via the 11k '04 rebate to the equation, which do you think was easier to sell?

This was a real mess in 1995 and a lot of auto manufacturer learned a lesson from this situation.

I wouldn't trade my 04 before February (Porsche's production half year mark). They have an odd way of changing/improving things mid year. I would then see how may new 04's are still on the ground and hedge my bet then. Cars produced in Feb will probably hit the lot mid March to early April.

Just my 2 cents

Dave
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #13

Dave that is a ton of great info. So it sounds like your final advice is to wait on the 987 until mid 2005 and don't count on any trunk money. Right?

Old 09-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
That is correct.

Historically when a new model is introduced, usually 6 months into production or their first shutdown for line maintenance, most of the available options slated for the model finally end up at the plant. VW, Audi and Porsche new model year begins in August. Most of VWs Wolfsburg Editions, Audis S cars and sometime certain models of Porsches are produced from January/February on.

The suppliers of the equipment are finally up to speed and have worked out any production kinks seen in the initial run of vehicles.

Sometimes there are interesting 1/2 year changes, mechanical part changes/improvements, electrical updates, interior trim, option packages, remaining colors work their way into production.

I would be patient and sit tight until next spring. This will give you the most color and option choices unless you special order one.

I usually buy convertibles in the dead of winter, getting the best deals. Selling one for what you want is easier when the weather warms up. That is another reason to wait. You could potentially get a little more for the previous year model convertible in the spring. Keep in mind, when the weather warms up, the dealers will start to hang on to some money when they sell their new convertibles.

If money is no object and you special order exactly what you want, go for it.

If you order your car in Jan or Feb, by the time it gets here, the weather will be better and you could get a little more for your Boxster trade in. If you could sell it outright, you would be in better shape in the spring.

Dave

Last edited by bamaboxster; 09-22-2004 at 08:42 PM.
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #15

Good info but...what do you mean by "trunk money"?

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 09-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #16

trunk money is a nickname for dealer kick-back, incentive, rebate, etc. Some manufacturers will offer dealers money for selling certain slow selling cars (like 2500 or 5000). This allows the dealer to see cars at what looks like a loss. Porsche is not known to do this but with sales on 2004 boxster begin so slow I was suspecting that Porsche might try this.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #17

Thanks for the explanation! Whatever you buy don't forget to post pics!

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 09-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #18

No worries. My refi is in its final stages and I think my appraisel will come in on target. My plan is to order a 987 ...even with the risk of defects... I really want one and I've been watching this thing for some time now. My sales guy says February or March for orders...but I'm not placing it until I know for sure the refi is a done deal. Should be a week or two now.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:32 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I personally am one of those people who hates to buy a car right when it's getting changed. That's just me. I'm waiting for the 987 to be out for a while and then that's what I'm going for. I also am waiting to save up some $$$ though too. But even if I wasn't, I think I'd still wait. I just know when I bought my Audi they redesigned the model like a year later and I wished I had that one instead but I didn't want to go through the loss of money and hastle of buying another car. Whatever I buy I intend to keep for a while too. Now if you have the money and it's no object (and you don't want a 911!) go for it and buy one now and then trade it in or sell it and buy another in a year or so.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote