Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdbilly
Again, thank you to www.iwantaporsche.net for the tremendous insight. Oh yeah, moral of the story being that if you don't like your Boxster or want to tell everyone that they are a problem and not worth the money, then go buy yourself a Mini.
You are most welcome.

BTW, I was purposefully trying to scare off potential buyers who didn't have the intestinal fortitude and room in the budget to buy an older Boxster.

However, I'd say the same thing about the Mini ... very high cost of ownership after the warranty expires and not very well built for the long-haul. The statement above would be far better with "Honda S2000" or "Toyota MR2 Spyder" in it. Both are nearly maintenance free compared to Boxsters.

I half-believe they did this with the Mini to keep it's English heritage intact.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #22
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My sister has a 2002 Mini. The general consencious is that the 2002 was built cheap beacuse BMW didn't know if the car would be successful. But the new version and later years are built very well, because it is now one of the most desired cars. Which has done wonders for its resale value.

It's better than the honda or toyota

(Go to Mini's new car ranking site, "CarFun Footprint," The Mini is number 1 and the Boxster is number 2, which if you remove the Mini biass the Boxster is Number 1!)
Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
My sister has a 2002 Mini. The general consencious is that the 2002 was built cheap beacuse BMW didn't know if the car would be successful. But the new version and later years are built very well, because it is now one of the most desired cars. Which has done wonders for its resale value.

It's better than the honda or toyota :cheers

Thanks. I am trying to decide what to buy. I loved the Mini but was afraid of it, because of the earlier ones. I am glad they are better now. I am on this site to learn enough to have a good knowledge of them and the boxsters before I decide to buy. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
tallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #24

A good friend of mine has a 2003 Cooper S. It's a fun little car.

If I ever sell my Boxster S, I'll probably buy a mini. I wish they made a supercharged 2 liter though.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #25

regarding the RSL.

i recently took my car to a porsche event at the dealer and they gave me a "free" inspection. they told me i have a rsl leak. but ive never seen a drop of oil on my garage floor. how urgently should i take care of this?

i know its been discussed this is a common /major issue, but my question is im not sure if the dealership just told me to take some more money off of me.

thank you for your thoughts in advance.
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It's RMS, Rear Main Seal, not Rls. It sounds to me like they are trying to steal your money, an RMS leak, means oil is leaking. If there is no leak then you can't really have an RMS leak.
You didn't say how they claimed to have determined you have a leak, but I doubt they would be able to tell without at least getting under the car, and even then there would be no way to be sure without a more thorough inspection. It could be another issue that they noticed (but wouldn't the dealer now the difference?)
I would seriously doubt any dealer that claims your car has a leak, when nothing is leaking.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #27

looking to buy 97-99

Guys.. reading about all the engine failures and RMS leaks.. I was looking at purchasing a 97-99 with about 80k miles on it. Is it safe to say these issues are past this stage? Do they normally occur in the earlier stages of engine life?
joetaf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #28

Don't let these two issues scare you off. The new issue of Excellence stated that only one in five M96 motors had catastrophic maladies and many of them were replaced under warranty. The RMS is a gasket and when it starts leaking, you replace it... and the clutch parts too since you're right there to save on labor.

I would not buy a 97-99 model though, and this comes from someone who owns one. Suspension wear becomes a costly issue in cars with 90k or more on them. Save more money and by an 03 or an 04 S with the 3.2 motor in it... the much newer car, lower mileage, glass rear window in the top, bigger motor with more torque, and the all-important glove box are all things you will not regret waiting to get in your Porsche.

I wish I had waited. Learn from my experiences and buy the newest Porsche you can find with the lowest mileage on it and the largest engine they put in the model you want to buy.

If you buy a 12 year old boxster, you will spend as much in repairs in the first three to four years of ownership as it would cost three or four years later to buy a much newer one.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #29

newest with less mileage

I agree with buying the newest boxster with the lowest mileage possible.I purchased my 1999 boxster in 2001 with about 50,000 miles. I wasn't even shopping around for a boxster but their was one on the lot and the sales guy talked me into one. One test drive and I was hooked. The car was in such good condition i couldn't resist the convertible silver on the outside with reddish leather and carbon fiber accents inside... This was a pure race car from the beginning- a mustang, -350z -s2000's all couldn't match the feeling of a well built porsche. Being 21 and owning a porsche is a great feeling. If you can afford one- buy one!!!!! All used cars have risk.... ALL... why not buy what you want!!!!!

ohh yeah.-- buy the extended warranty!!! : )
blinkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #30

05 Boxter extended warranty ?

First time buyer of a Porsche 05 Boxter, approx 30k miles. out of warranty at the end of March. Do I buy or not an extended warranty and if yes can someone recommend a company. I'm told Great Lakes Warrranty Corp is reliable, are there others. Second question , are there any particular weak points with the 05 Boxter???
seabeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #31

RandallNeighbor,

The costs u list for repairs on your boxster... do most of them include labour? at what hourly rate?

(Getting a PPI done on a Chicago area boxster S this week)

Thanks,
Peter
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #32

Peter, those prices include me buying the parts at Sunset at a discount and handing them to my independent mechanic, who charges me a flat rate of $100 per hour, not a book rate like a big shop or a dealership would charge.

Double the prices to get dealer charges or a larger independent shop that uses a book rate and retail parts prices.

You gotta pay to play with an old Porsche out of warrant.

Buy the newest S model you can find with a 100k Porsche warranty on it if you want to make Porsche pay for their crappy control arm bushings, coolant tanks, radiator fans, etc. Otherwise, it's your nickel, and I don't mean 5¢ either... more like $500 a dealer visit or even more.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #33

Randall,

Thanks for the insight....

I'm more of a DIY type guy,.... and tinkering is kinda fun... especially if I know I am saving on labor rates like that!

I'll have to check if Sunset Porsche ships to Canada.

Peter
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #34

Engine Failure Reincidence After New Motor Installed

I am looking to buy a 2001 Boxster.

The owner told me the engine was just replaced by Porsche due to the famous "engine seizure."

Does anyone knows if the problem has been corrected or what would be the chances or what the statistics show about engine failure after they have been replaced?
edgarflotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #35

Hi, I've had my S for 5 years and have roughly 22k miles. I’ve had no issues other than normal maintenance, and the front license plate holder falling off ☹. Porsche cost of ownership is higher than standard cars, but is certainly in line with other hi-end, or premium cars. I think the advice you’re getting here about getting the warranty thrown in is sound. These guys know their stuff. Get the car, with the protection, drop the top and let the similes begin.
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #36

Thinking of buying a Boxster

Hi, I just bought a 1998 Boxster in Toronto,Canada my dream car? It has 50,000 miles on it runs great,only issue is the engine light stays on but after looking into it not a big problem will get it fixed. Had it diagonostic checked & maybe a vaccum leak? No worries when i bought my 1999 Pontiac Grad Prix in Toronto it had the samw problem. I drove it home 7 hours away under warranty they fixed it at home. So go for it happy motoring but if I were you I would do a history on the car get the SIN number and submit it to carfax. They can find everthing about the car if it was under maintenance?
baileymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #37

Edgarflotte: There are a bunch of threads on this forum dealing with your question. I have a factory remanufactured motor in my 97 box. It was replaced at 80k and I now have 108k on it. No problems to date.

But the IMS bearing should be swapped out on both our motors with a newer aftermarket one that's robust and will keep the motor from cratering. The other big motor killer is "D chunks" taken out of the cylinder walls.

The M96 motor is not bulletproof, that's for sure. But don't lie awake at night worrying about it. Just replace the IMS bearing when you have your clutch replaced or your rear main seal replaced due to leaks.

BaileyMC: Carfax is total crap. Doesn't show anything that is not entered in, and my carfax was clean and my motor had blown and was replaced at a dealership!

I called my dealer with my VIN number and I was told that I could only get records from the exact dealers where the car was worked on. They have no nationwide network that they are willing to access for customers anyway.

Meticulous records kept by the PO is what one is looking for when buying a preowned Porsche.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #38
lovely09

Things to know before buying a Boxster

1.Speaking of Carfax reports,they are total crap.Neither showed up on the Carfax. Get one though for title info.
2.Your PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) should include a 4-wheel, laser alignment.
3.Boxsters eat tires and brakes and brake discs.
4. Find a reputable Porsche mechanic before you take possession of your out of warranty Boxster.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #39

Clutch replacement

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and am loving the breadth of information it has been in helping me in maintaining my late '99 boxster. It has been a great machine since I've had it however I've recently been fronted with the task of replacing the clutch and flywheel.
The car has done 95000kms and I was wondering what kind of life expectancy I can expect out of my new parts?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advace
Trakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #40

987 pre-buy issues

Hey guys,
I am looking at buying a '05 Boxster S with low miles (~20k).

Can anyone describe or point me to a good reference that can help me understand what I'm not getting by buying a 2007 or later car? I know that the power output changed in 2007.

And do the 987-series cars have the same potential to experience RMS and IMS issues?

Generally I'm wondering if I should be concerned by a 2005 car only having 20k miles as well. Too much of a garage queen?

Any info or pointers to a good reference would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew

alfastud18 is offline   Reply With Quote