Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #221
NEWB
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Honestly, in great condition with clear title, that car's worth $9000.
In great condition with rebuilt title, it's worth $5500.
Condition as described? $4000. But he'll never let it go for that. He'll wait until someone comes along that doesn't do as much homework as you have, and he'll settle for $5200.

The question in my mind is this: it sounds like you've set yourself a goal of sorts, with a timeline. What's that worth to ya? $1200? It would be to me.... All. Day. Long.
I'd pay him $5200, knowing I'm paying $1200 more than I should, because the goal meant something more than 'have I found the right car yet', Y'know?

Eyes wide open. You're not getting screwed if you make the decision knowing all the facts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Guys I really appreciate the advice! The local shop I use did a check on it and gave me the information for the tie rods. They said the closer to $5000 I can get it the better.

The car had new tires and an alignment at 69k on the odometer, and now has a bent tie rod and play at 80k miles. They think the current owner drove over something significant which caused the rear axle to break and the front tie rod issue. The owner has not indicated that.

I haggled him down to $6000 today, and I agree with M thataytag that the $1000 to complete the goal is worth it. Now just have to complete the purchase.

Oh yes, and it dies have Carrera wheels, which makes me emotional just thinking about.


Last edited by TGPCAR; 08-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.
TGPCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #222
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPCAR View Post
..... which makes me emotional just thinking about.
Many here will disagree with me on this, but in my opinion, if this isn't an emotionally driven purchase, then you haven't found the right car, Haha.

Go get it! Send pics !

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #223
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Many here will disagree with me on this, but in my opinion, if this isn't an emotionally driven purchase, then you haven't found the right car, Haha.

Go get it! Send pics !

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
No, you are absolutely correct.
In fact, if someone buys a car while knowing they could possibly get a better deal, that just proves that their heart is in it.
__________________
'97 - Silver (rebuilt/stripping)
'99 - Black (rebuilt/sold)
'01 S - Rainforest Green (daily)
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #224
NEWB
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 8
Any clue what that groan is in the convertible top? I have been researching and most describe a popping sound, not a groan so I have not been able to identify it. Haven't purchased it yet due to the Hurricane that is coming, waiting until after.
TGPCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #225
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPCAR View Post
Any clue what that groan is in the convertible top? I have been researching and most describe a popping sound, not a groan so I have not been able to identify it. Haven't purchased it yet due to the Hurricane that is coming, waiting until after.
My guess would be that the motor could be going out, or that a cable or gearbox is causing it to load up more than usual. Mine started to groan a little before one of the cables went out.
__________________
'97 - Silver (rebuilt/stripping)
'99 - Black (rebuilt/sold)
'01 S - Rainforest Green (daily)
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #226
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 918
Garage
It can also be the track that the clamshell runs in when going up and down. Try lubricating it with some lithium grease. There is one on each side, so I should have written tracks.
__________________
2004 Boxster S Silver - FUNTOY
2002 Boxster Base Guardsy Red - FUNBOX
1987 Caterham Super 7 1700 Supersprint
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #227
NEWB
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
It can also be the track that the clamshell runs in when going up and down. Try lubricating it with some lithium grease. There is one on each side, so I should have written tracks.
I GOT IT! I was able to get his price from $7000 to $5000, so I picked it up yesterday and registered it. I feel a lot better about the decision at that price. And Anker, you were correct, some grease in the tracks and the groan went away. I'm seeing a lot of little issues throughout, but so far nothing that cant be fixed.

I need the tie rods and alignment done, which will be a shop job for now. It also needs an oil change and tune up. I'm going to have to push the tune up off until I can get the parts and do it myself.

I will post some pictures later, mobile site doesn't allow photo posting.
TGPCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #228
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPCAR View Post
I GOT IT! I was able to get his price from $7000 to $5000, so I picked it up yesterday and registered it. I feel a lot better about the decision at that price. And Anker, you were correct, some grease in the tracks and the groan went away. I'm seeing a lot of little issues throughout, but so far nothing that cant be fixed.



I need the tie rods and alignment done, which will be a shop job for now. It also needs an oil change and tune up. I'm going to have to push the tune up off until I can get the parts and do it myself.



I will post some pictures later, mobile site doesn't allow photo posting.
Well done! Can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #229
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
2000 Boxster S / 69k miles / NO SERVICE RECORDS

Just moved my buying question here:

High Mileage Engine vs. Low Mileage Parts

Last edited by Porsche Sugar On Me; 10-22-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Porsche Sugar On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #230
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 37
Hi All

Looking to pick up a used boxster. I finally found a very nice example, well sorted and no issues at the moment. However it is a 1997 with 75k (and stick, of course!)

Is there any reason to avoid the '97 model? Or would it be a better choice considering the double row IMS? I somehow feel first year cars are not great, but I am curious to see what others think.
solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #231
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Hi All

Looking to pick up a used boxster. I finally found a very nice example, well sorted and no issues at the moment. However it is a 1997 with 75k (and stick, of course!)

Is there any reason to avoid the '97 model? Or would it be a better choice considering the double row IMS? I somehow feel first year cars are not great, but I am curious to see what others think.
The 97 has a double row IMS bearing. The single row came out later. 97's are susceptible to other woes like cylinder wall d chunks.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: N Cal Sierra mts
Posts: 4
Garage
Thank you for bringing down the prices

I have owned many cars, my first was a 65 mustang and many VW痴 which drove me nuts with maintenance. Last year my cancer required me to drive 150 miles a day on a treacherous but beautiful mountain road in order to get radiation therapy. I bought a 2002 Boxter and drove it hard every day for a month and a half. My local mechanic changed the plugs, put in new front brakes and changed all fluids. This car was so fun to drive and got me thru a rough patch so I rewarded it with a new top with a glass back window. I知 keeping it. I have a blast downshifting into corners and driving with the top down on our scenic highways. Without all of the neigh sayers, I could never afford to buy this car or keep it. It cost me 1 month income. All of the American convertibles that I looked at for almost 2 times the price were beat to **************** and drove the same. Thanks again for the negative posts, keep it up. I値l keep my Porsche.
Brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #233
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 253
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockster View Post
I have owned many cars, my first was a 65 mustang and many VW痴 which drove me nuts with maintenance. Last year my cancer required me to drive 150 miles a day on a treacherous but beautiful mountain road in order to get radiation therapy. I bought a 2002 Boxter and drove it hard every day for a month and a half. My local mechanic changed the plugs, put in new front brakes and changed all fluids. This car was so fun to drive and got me thru a rough patch so I rewarded it with a new top with a glass back window. I知 keeping it. I have a blast downshifting into corners and driving with the top down on our scenic highways. Without all of the neigh sayers, I could never afford to buy this car or keep it. It cost me 1 month income. All of the American convertibles that I looked at for almost 2 times the price were beat to **************** and drove the same. Thanks again for the negative posts, keep it up. I値l keep my Porsche.
Tend to agree. Sometimes the risks are overstated. I skipped the PPI since it didn't make sense for a 10k car. This thing is a blast to drive and easy to work on too. Glad you're enjoying yours!
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Hi All

Looking to pick up a used boxster. I finally found a very nice example, well sorted and no issues at the moment. However it is a 1997 with 75k (and stick, of course!)

Is there any reason to avoid the '97 model? Or would it be a better choice considering the double row IMS? I somehow feel first year cars are not great, but I am curious to see what others think.
I think the first year 1997's are GREAT! I have a 1998, doubt there is much difference, love it. The earlier Boxsters are less complicated cars than later Boxsters. I replaced the LCD screen on the "climate control" that was ruined from age using the 914rubber.com kit, easy and looks great! Replaced the top with one with a glass rear window. New tires. The earliest cars are not known for the IMS problem. If you can afford it get it replaced but otherwise check the oil like a hawk for metal when you change it (do change it, even water Porsches are OIL cooled), otherwise wait until you need a new clutch or the rear main seal starts leaking oil and needs replacement (all 911's and Boxsters leak at the RMS eventually, easy fix but you have to put the transaxle to get to it).

I bought mine for less than $6k off of Ebay with 116k miles, including shipping from Texas. Turned out to be a winner. They are gorgeous cars, very nice curves, very low, fast, handle great, but realize they have no storage inside at all and only two seats, they are a REAL sports car. I can go to COSTCO and put several bags of groceries in front and back trunks and driver's seat if necessary but not too many bundles of paper towels! But I love mine. I've owned many, many 356's, 911's, 912's and my early Boxster is by far the most value and performance for the money, it is at least as fast as my 1987 Porsche 911 3.2 coupe, only my 1982 930 Turbo was faster and that car was really FAST! The resale value on these cars is clearly terrible and I guess it's because of the IMS. Maybe it's because Porsche parts are expensive but I've been used to that for decades. And surprisingly the just liability insurance is dirt cheap for my 67 years old!
mschnittker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockster View Post
I have owned many cars, my first was a 65 mustang and many VW痴 which drove me nuts with maintenance. Last year my cancer required me to drive 150 miles a day on a treacherous but beautiful mountain road in order to get radiation therapy. I bought a 2002 Boxter and drove it hard every day for a month and a half. My local mechanic changed the plugs, put in new front brakes and changed all fluids. This car was so fun to drive and got me thru a rough patch so I rewarded it with a new top with a glass back window. I知 keeping it. I have a blast downshifting into corners and driving with the top down on our scenic highways. Without all of the neigh sayers, I could never afford to buy this car or keep it. It cost me 1 month income. All of the American convertibles that I looked at for almost 2 times the price were beat to **************** and drove the same. Thanks again for the negative posts, keep it up. I値l keep my Porsche.
Good luck in dealing with your cancer.
__________________
Jack Schumann

(631) 662 6998
jackschumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:05 PM   #236
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,538
1998 Base differs from 1997 in two important areas:

18 wheel option with rear chassis reinforced to accept new wheels. Rear body structural change included redesigned wheel wells and coil spring mounts, lower engine compartment bulkhead, rear wall crossmember and rear axle mount reinforcements.

Side air bags standard (not available in 97.)
__________________
Prior '70 914, '99 986 Boxster, '01 Boxster S
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #237
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschumann View Post
Good luck in dealing with your cancer.
If a car can produce a giggle or a smile. Keep it. Be well. Tom
tmanalio@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 04:51 PM   #238
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1
Hey everyone!

I hope this is the thread for this post. I have recently moved to California to pursue the American dream and what better car to do that with than the 986. Trying to find one and have one I知 quite keen on with the following specs:

85k, ims changed, new water pump, white smoke from the exhaust occasionally, and the following codes: P0157, P0132, P0154, P1541

I知 thinking changing the oxygen sensors would clear those errors and maybe the smoke issue as well? Any thoughts on the overall car condition? Thanks a million in advance!!
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:27 AM   #239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 190
Garage
Hambone, it is not uncommon to have that smoke, but it could be the AOS. At that mileage, if it hasn't been changed, you might do so. The only other caution I would have is if the coolant tank hasn't been replaced already, I would. It's the only thing that ever stranded me. The Germans design and build terrific cars, but make terrible plastics. And this isn't limited to Porsche; BMW has the same problems with the entire cooling system!
Solid, sweet cars!
__________________
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
-H. L. Mencken
Newsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:26 AM   #240
Registered User
 
sueanntom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: India
Posts: 1
hey!
Go Ahead!

__________________
By DDR usbdrivedatarecovery.com

Last edited by sueanntom; 05-16-2024 at 01:55 AM.
sueanntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2024 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page