Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #1

Key Remote Unlock

Anybody had any problems with key remote unlocking ?. Mine worked fine up to last week then stopped.Changed the battery in the key but still nothing. Red light on key comes on when i press the button but doors do not unlock.Alarm appears to be working o.k. Car is a 2000 model.

HOUSTONBOXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
bmussatti

Houston, if you have not used the car and keyless remote for a few days, it will go into "sleep" mode. You need to awaken the alarm system. Your Owner's Manual will tell you how.

Basically you unlock the car with the key, and within a secified time period, you need to start the car with the key.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #3

I have an 03 S, my remote stopped working after awhile too. Took it to the dealer and they gave me a new fob under warranty. Occassionally the remote still takes a few tries. It seems like the remote has a hard time talk to the receiver inside. I usually walk around the car while pressing a few times or point through the back windshield at the dash to get it to work.
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #4

my remote worked fine on my 2001. There was no time period where it wasn't used. Now the light on the key comes on, I can lock doors with dash switch, and can open trunk and hood with interior buttons. Key will not work on any of it though.

Any ideas?

2001 blk/tan Boxster 18" turbo twist wheels

2003 gray/tan Navigator
rgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Ady

Somebody please tell me why are the batteries in my key remote only lasting 3-4 days then they havent enough power to light the LED on the remote and obviously not open the doors, HELP!!

Ady
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Because it has a short. Probably one of the buttons...

I read an article online(maybe here) where someone was having the same problem and it turned out one of the buttons was bad causing it to drain the battery.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Ady

Cheers Particlewave, you would think it was something like that but its not obvious as if the LED is staying on, but I'll have to check it out anyway.

Ady
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Do you have a multimeter? Wouldn't hurt to check them with an ohm meter. The buttons should read infinite resistance normally. Anything less would mean there is a slight short. Probably not even enough to light the led, but enough to drain the battery.

Next, I would put an ammeter between the battery's negative side and the negative terminal. Should read 0 amps. Any more indicates a short somewhere.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Here it is...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

deleted post
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 05-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #11

It is a plot to make you spend $350 dollars every couple of years to buy a new key. I bought a new key and never used it for almost two years. Just kept it for a spare. Started to use it and then it died a month later. Even though it was hardly used, it still quit working. The LED's still blink fine, it just doesn't operate the alarm. Out of warranty of course after two years, so the stealership wouldn't do anything. The original key still works so I swapped the internals over to the bad key since the battery cover on the old key kept popping off. That stealership doesn't get any of my business anymore. I get all my parts online now and it is a lot less expensive. If I ever need to get a new key, I will make sure that I keep the tag with the code number that comes with the key. They use it to program the key with. They normally don't give this to you for whatever reason, so if the key loses its program, you can't try to reprogram the key again. If they won't give me the tag with the code, they won't get the sale. I'll find a dealer that will.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote