Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Hurricane Frances is comming what shall i do with my Boxster ?

Hi guys. this is my first time going throught a Hurrican and i dont know how it is going to effect us but what i am concerned about is my soft top, i dont have a car garage and i am worried about the debris damaging the top. shall i be worried or is it tough enough ?

FL Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #2

You guys are getting pummeled this year. I personally would find a garage. Relative/friend... somebody who is out of town.. anything. I get light rain 2-3 months out of the year so I cant tell you how well the Boxster tops hold up. Ours are wearing out from up/down use.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
b0xt0La

If I were you I would just drive as far as possible away from the path of the storm. Who knows your streets might get flooded and your car too. If that happens say goodbye to the Boxster, unless you are fully covered for that kind of thing by your insurance.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Forum Contributor

Oh man i think the only thing i can do is to find a garage and park my car there. a couple of hours ago i tryed to fill my car with gas and 2 out of the 3 gas stations close by were closed (out of gas).
Old 09-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #5

Um.. EXIT stage LEFT. I surprised you still have internet access.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:23 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I hope you did okay, FL Boxster. I am in Tampa and we just got power back a couple hours ago after over 24 hours without it. I don't have a Boxster (yet) and was hoping my Ford Explorer would blow away so I'd have an excuse to buy one now...but it didn't so I guess I'll have to wait.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

Hi LoveBunny
well yes i am ok, i toke my car and went south to key largo (about 2 hours from keywest) and stayed there for a couple of days, it was kinda windy but not as bad as it was north of us.

Thanks for the concern
Old 09-07-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
b0xt0La

Good to hear you are ok. Looks like there might be another one, Ivan.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #9

Glad to hear you weathered the storm ok. I am in Tampa in a neighborhood with old wooden bungalows and LOTS of old trees. I left my boxster in my wooden detached garage which, thankfully, withstood the wind and didn't have a tree fall on it (unlike my neighbor's garage). But if Ivan pays us a visit I am definately evacuating. Tampa was VERY lucky with Charley, a cat 4 monster that would have leveled half the city. Even the tropical storm force winds of Francis (the wind gusts here didn't exceed 50 mph) caused alot of damage and knocked out power to millions of people. And a direct hit would shove water from the bay all the way up to Carrollwood. So, with the double whammy of wind and flooding, the only safe place for my boxster, and me, is far away from here.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #10
Forum Contributor

Glad nothing happend to you too. last Saturday I had to take a friend back to his apartment (he forgot his medication) and that ment i had to go to Balharbour anyway after taking him and going through rough winds, as i was going back home (taking US-1) a tree fell right infront of me and i almost crashed into it, but thank god I was able to stop in time, this thing blocked most of the street except a small space on the right side where i nudged my car which turend out to be a stupid idea coz the tree branches scrached the side of my car as i was passing. but hey there was no other way to go, so next time anything happens here.......... Ranbar2 i will be far far away.