Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 10:54 AM   #1

Adding Facotry Keyless Entry/Alarm

Hi guys,
I am a new owner of a 99' Boxster. I purchased one of the only Boxsters that don't have keyless entry/alarm. I asked a local dealer how much it would cost to add factory keyless entry, and he said it would be impossible for less than $10k, yes that's a k.

Then the search began, I saw a posting from Tool Pants for this part:
000 044 900 32
and this description: boxster retrofit remote control interior monitoring anti-theft device. It's a $520 part. No one i have talked to knows anything about this part though. Whether or not it is indeed the keyless entry/alarm (although the description sounds like it)

I have another local dealer checking out what the part actually does. He told me that it has to be ordered from Germany and none of the kits exist in the US as of today.

Does anyone know anything about that part? Has anyone out there added factory keyless entry/alarm to their Boxster that did not originally have it?

Thanks,
larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #2

Have you considered just going to an audio shop that specializes in Porsches?

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:21 PM   #3

Hey,
Yeah, I have been to a few shops, some that the dealer recommended that specializes in Porsches and some others too. I have yet to talk to a singe technician that has actually installed keyless entry of any kind on a boxster. The thing is, all the wiring diagrams were created for boxsters that have keyless entry already (according to a dude at BestBuy). So I think something could be rigged, but I am trying to avoid that if possible. I might end up doing that in the end, thanks for the thought.

Larez2
Old 09-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #4

You know, without the alarm and keyless entry your car is a few pounds lighter. I would tell people it is part of some sort of crazy GT3 package to save weight and make the car faster.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:03 PM   #5

hahahaha yeah that is a good point. I have one of those "no option" Boxters (as ToolPants so affectionately calls them). No keyless entry, no door speakers, etc) but it came with those hollow spoke 18's so i am stoked. WAY faster than what i drove before. Yeah it's not the sport package is the "racing package" lol =)

Larez2
Old 09-17-2004, 08:34 AM   #6

No DOOR speakers?!?! I couldn't live. I've been toying with throwing some Focal mini-subs or JL Microsubs there....just the weight and the possible cutting bothers me... x-(

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #7

ok i dont understand the whole weight thing but anyway i run a audio and rim shop here out east but adding keyless entry to your ride is simple.if that is all you want it to do. 25 bucks for the brain and 2 keyfobs will just lock and unlock and with the right brain you can add a second channel to pop rear truck if you need help call me or email me i will be glad to help you or anyone with anything i can. chris
TO2IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #8

I have a Boxster without the factory alarm also. I added a Viper and ran the LED to the stock one in the dash. Even though the car does not have the factory alarm it still has the factory LED. Just a tip!!!

Clod
claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:53 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips and advice. I am going to try and buy the retrofit kit and hopefully make it work. I really want to keep the factory look with the key and how the lock/unlock/trunk release is all integrated into it.

If it doesn't work out, I'll go with something aftermarket, perhaps a viper or maybe a smart key or proximity key that would automatically unlock the door as i approached the car and then lock it when i walked away.

The sound system with just the 2 dash speakers is surprisingly pretty good. I can hear music and navigation instructions fine at highway speeds with the top down; just gotta turn it up kinda loud. No low end though...

Larez2
Old 09-18-2004, 09:06 AM   #10

You might consider adding a remote starter while you are at it.
I don't know how tough it is, but having a warm car in cold winter climates and a cool car in hot climates sounds like it would be good.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #11

The remote start is a good thought, but I live in San Diego, so the temperatures are pretty moderate year round.

I temporarily put in a keyless entry unit unitl i can get the porsche retrofit kit. Like To2image said, it is simple for anyone interested. I use some wire taps and didn't have to splice any wires. The only think i screwed up on was that i didn't disconnected the battery before taking out the front driver seat, and now my airbag light is on. I read on another board, that when you do that the only way to get the light turned off is with a PST2 tool. Anyone know of another way?

Thanks,
Larez2
Old 09-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by larez2
I read on another board, that when you do that the only way to get the light turned off is with a PST2 tool. Anyone know of another way?

Thanks,
Larez2
Correct you heard, O Jedi - to the dealer you must go. :troll:

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote