Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #1

GAHH top

Contemplating a GAHH top and was wondering if anybody has a preference or opinion on the German fabric vs. the Sonnendeck fabric. From what their web site says, the Sonnendeck is a safe bet, but since the cost difference isn't very big, is the German stuff a better way to go?

chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #2

I use GAHH almost exclusively. I prefer the German canvas. topsonline sells the Robbins top Iam assuming you are getting glass.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #3

Did a quick search and didn't come up with much, but does anybody know of an install write -up on doing one? Any input Peter on time, frustration level, one man job or two?
Also curious if the old top is still a saleable item after taking it off, as mine is in great condition. Only replacing because I abhor the plastic window.
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #4

This is THE guide for replacing the top yourself.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy
Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
Did a quick search and didn't come up with much, but does anybody know of an install write -up on doing one? Any input Peter on time, frustration level, one man job or two?
Also curious if the old top is still a saleable item after taking it off, as mine is in great condition. Only replacing because I abhor the plastic window.
about 4.5 hours labor time for me if I work very hard
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
I use GAHH almost exclusively. I prefer the German canvas. topsonline sells the Robbins top Iam assuming you are getting glass.
Pete, are you finding that the GAHH tops you are installing no longer have any separation issues with their glass windows, or do they still have issues with this? If I recall correctly, the Robbins tops never had that issue with their glass windowed tops.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Pete, are you finding that the GAHH tops you are installing no longer have any separation issues with their glass windows, or do they still have issues with this? If I recall correctly, the Robbins tops never had that issue with their glass windowed tops.
Robbins top has only been on the market for a short time, time will tell. GAHH has resolved their seperation problem, and cable wearing issue. I only install Robbins if top is supplied by customer.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
Contemplating a GAHH top and was wondering if anybody has a preference or opinion on the German fabric vs. the Sonnendeck fabric. From what their web site says, the Sonnendeck is a safe bet, but since the cost difference isn't very big, is the German stuff a better way to go?
bother, sadly to say i installed GAHH top in my 97 boxster and the top is not in par with OEM. The sizing is not 100%! it may cause your top motor to brake.
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #9

I'm putting a glass window top on my car tomorrow!

I went with a Robbins top from topsonline.com. $720 shipped, and it includes the defroster cable. Very good quality material. The instructions are good. Combined with the instructions on Mike Focke's page, I think I'll be all set.

I'll post my own pics here, but I'll be sending many of them to Mike to put on his page. In particular, detailing the headliner. I've been told that it does not have to be removed to replace the top.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
bother, sadly to say i installed GAHH top in my 97 boxster and the top is not in par with OEM. The sizing is not 100%! it may cause your top motor to brake.

Did you let it stretch well?

When installing a top, you need to let it stretch for a few days. When my top is installed tomorrow, I'm going to leave it out in the sun for a few days to let it stretch in before I put it down.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote