Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #1

Adding Wind Deflectors

I'm very close to buying a 2007 Boxster. The one option it doesn't have that I'd like are the wind deflectors. If I can't negotiate them into the deal, can I add them as a DIY project after the fact?

The reason I ask is because there are no clips that I can see - on the rollbars or between them - to attach the deflectors to.

baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

I recently bought a 2007 987 without a wind deflector. I also wanted the wind deflector. I don't know what the invoice price is on the deflector, but you may get the dealer to add it for his cost. They will probably want to charge you a couple hundred for labor as well.

I added the hardtop this way. It cost me $2000 plus $515 labor.

I just ordered the wind deflector kit (from sunset porsche) for ~$400 delivered. The kit includes the mesh screens, the glass, the clips, and rivets. After it arrives, I plan to install it myself. If your interested, I'll let you know how it goes.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #3

Thanks kras. Yes, I'd like to know how it goes. Good luck with the new car!
baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #4

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5477
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #5

I got my wind-deflector off eBay, including the brackets (I even got an extra set of brackets that I can part of -- PM me if you want them). This hack was one of the easiest DIY's I've done.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #6

I added the wind deflector (2007).

Thanks, Tool Pants for the link.

The most difficult part was figuring out how to pull off the padding. I tried to simply pull it off with my hands but couldn't. I decided to use a screwdriver wrapped in a couple layers of cloth to pry the padding off. I took my time because I was extra cautious to not scratch my Box. It pops off pretty easy once you get some leverage under the pad.

The pads are held to the bars with pins that lock into plastic fittings. The kit comes with new plastic fittings. They are easy to swap out.

The holes were all pre-drilled. The center clip is riveted to the pad, not the bar.

The whole install is pretty easy and takes about a half hour. Also, you get an excuse to buy a new tool (riveter, $15)
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #7

Stephen Pennington of www.windrestrictor.com contacted me about becoming a sponsor. Check their site out - supposed to be a factory windstop but w/ the ability to be customized.

Rkwei

rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote