Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
boxsterz

suspension install and replace short cut

Has anyone come across the method that does not include seperating the ball joint or removing the control arm?

http://gwl.rmsolo.org/hacks/suspension/

I have heard of it from several sources, but have yet to see the DIY step by step or the revealing insight which allows this short cut. Anyone??

Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Has anyone come across the method that does not include seperating the ball joint or removing the control arm?

http://gwl.rmsolo.org/hacks/suspension/

I have heard of it from several sources, but have yet to see the DIY step by step or the revealing insight which allows this short cut. Anyone??
It depends on what end of the car you're talking about... For the front you do NOT need to seperate the ball joint or remove the control arm. The instructions you have a link to are way overkill. Do a search on Renntech under their 996 forum. There are instructions with photos there on how to do the front (same as a 986) struts. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you a Word file copy that I have. Basically you just remove the brake caliper, disconnect the sway bar, and then push down hard and pull the strut out by pulling it past the edge of the fender and then up and out. It helps to compress the spring with spring compressors while the strut is still in the wheel well. I did this on my 2000 S with no problems and MUCH easier than completely disassembling the front end.

For the rear... well I've got some bad news for you. I looked at anything and everything with this, but there's really no way around either separating the ball joint or removing the control arm. I removed the control arm. It can be done, it's just a lot more work than the front.

Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #3

What the heck... here's the post at Renntech that explains the shortcut for the front struts. This is for the 996, so only the portion on the front struts really applies directly to the Boxster. This does work.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7073&hl

Kirk
Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
boxsterz

Thanks Kirk.

I'll be ripping into this soon. I'll follow up if I can cut any corners. Pain in the rear (crying/sobbing icon)
Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #5

Any special tools necessary to remove the control arms? I may go that route instead.
boxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Thanks Kirk.

I'll be ripping into this soon. I'll follow up if I can cut any corners. Pain in the rear (crying/sobbing icon)
This may seem crazy, but I'm in NorCal and if you want to take a road trip I'll help you get the job done in my garage. We could do it all in a day...

One helpful hint - you need spring compressors if swapping springs. Harbor Freight Tools has them cheap and those work. I got mine several years ago for $10. But some places like AutoZone will loan them out for FREE.

Another helpful hint - you'll need a 7mm allen wrench to hold the top of the strut while you remove the retaining bolt (if swapping springs). This is a bit of an odd size and my allen wrench sets didn't have it. I had to go buy an allen socket set just to get that one size.

Kirk
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstar
Any special tools necessary to remove the control arms? I may go that route instead.
Nothing special, just wrenches and sockets. Maybe a pry bar or BFH to help pop it out. A jack helps for sqeezing it back in when you're done. Just make sure you mark the control arm position before you take it apart, then put it back there when you're done. You'll still need an alignment, but at least this will get you close.

Kirk