986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Subwoofer Finally Installed (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13563-subwoofer-finally-installed.html)

edevlin 10-07-2007 07:26 AM

Subwoofer Finally Installed

A lot has been going on with my Boxster lately. It has been it the shop to figure out the CEL I have been getting. I just got it back yesterday and installed the 8" JL Audio subwoofer that Patrick had told us about. Its pretty amazing. My son has a pair of 10" subs in his Jetta, we have a hi-end 10" sub in our Forester, and I have several high-end 15" subs in our home-theater system. I mention that gear to give a sense that I know a little about subs.

This little sub is amazing. It must be because like the old Klipsch-horn corner-loaded loudspearkers, you could get a lot of bass from the corner loading. Anyway, there is a lot more bass than one would expect from an 8" driver, tight, deep and clean.

I am driving it with a 300 watt JL Audio Slash-series amp, more power than it needs, but I had the amp laying around. I am using a second 4-channel JL Audio Slash amp for the door, dash and rear speakers. Adding the additional 20 lbs of amps and subs is problem with this setup, but losing the spare and my lightweight battery saves overy 40 lbs from the front. This Boxster now both rocks and rolls....

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

jackhoff 10-07-2007 01:01 PM

anymore info on the enclosure?? link, price maybe??

JL's are great, my buddy had a 8" w7 and that thing would pound like crazy lol

edevlin 10-07-2007 03:45 PM

Below is a link to a better discription of the sub,

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11207&page=2&pp=20&highlight=subw oofer

They are not cheap, 500.00, and from what I understand, only about a hundred of that is the cost of the driver. But they sure got the volume and fit down with the sub. Its interesting what a good sub does to the sound of a system.

Ed

:cheers:

Cloudsurfer 10-07-2007 07:38 PM

I am very glad to hear you're happy with what you got! My car was the "test mule" for this setup, and since everyone is going to ask, yes $100 is about the cost of the actual driver. I can tell you, however, that considerable hours of R&D combined with many years of high end custom audio went into designing and producing this product, and the outcome is phenomenal (and that coming from an audiophile). I cannot speak enough good about this product, and for anyone looking for a bass solution to their 986/996 I can tell you this is the answer.

Patrick

edevlin 10-08-2007 03:32 AM

"I cannot speak enough good about this product, and for anyone looking for a bass solution to their 986/996 I can tell you this is the answer."

I completely agree, the combination of build quality, fit, small size, and most-importantly, sound is hard to beat, I'm a happy camper,

Ed

:dance:

Gary in BR 10-08-2007 05:26 AM

Can I purchase the sub and have it shipped for local install or is this something they only do on site??

Cloudsurfer 10-08-2007 06:09 AM

Gary- Yes you can. Contact Chuck at the Stereo Shop at 585 292-1772. Y ou will be purchasing the sub woofer and enclosure, carpeted to match your interior. Either you or your shop install it and run power to it.

Patrick

fender55 12-02-2007 02:16 AM

Subwoofer Install

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post...
Attached are pictures of the system I had installed last summer.
First is the carpeted subwoofer enclosure from Advanced Audio Designs, loaded with a JL 8W0. As you can see in the next pix, the mat will cover it - but has to be folded over the top of the enclosure. Not much room for a long-legged passenger now, but the enclosure is just deep enough to hold the Sub. There is more angle to it than the picture shows. JL amps are mounted in the front trunk (where else), Dash & door speakers are JL VR600 CSi's, & the head unit is an Alpine 9887. Soundwise, it's got plenty of punch & clarity with the top up, but the bass gets lost when the top is down... (the perfect bass trap). I can get it back by cranking the bass, but don't want to overdrive the Sub. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Just an opinion, but I think the Bose sub works better with the top down because it's firing toward the back of the windshield... Last is a picture of my 97', now garaged for the winter. Spring will be here before we know it!
Fender55

KevinH1990 12-02-2007 07:02 AM

This morning my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas.

Maybe I should tell her I want to make my Boxster just like Ed's. He gets to have all the neat stuff.

Someday I'm going to have to see your car.