986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13562-gauntlet-has-been-thrown-down.html)

Jump 10-06-2007 06:55 PM

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down

I just watched a Pontiac commercial covering a number of their cars and on the screen during the Solstice segment were the words "Faster than a Porsche Boxster". Wow, decision makers in Germany, that's kind of embarrassing!

boxstershorts 10-06-2007 07:09 PM

Faster than a Porsche Boxster?
Big deal.
What about all of the other Boxsters?

boggtown 10-06-2007 07:09 PM

They say the super premium solstice is faster than a base boxster, and a super duper pontiac suv is faster than a base cayenne. Now im fine with that. Cause the best that pontiac has to offer can barely beat the lowest porsche. Now an S in porsche versions would smoke both of those pontiacs. Now the turbo cayenne would beat everything, and the turbo s could beat everything even harder. its like that ****************ty honda that can beat you in the quarter mile but is a seat and a shell of a car with a top speed of 110 mph. Its all relative, they can say what they want, but its still a ****************ty pontiac. Fast in the straights (kinda), and.... well... thats all that matters...

boxstershorts 10-06-2007 07:18 PM

OK here is a proposition for Solstice drivers:

Lets see who would be fastest and survive the longest on any curvy track, winding road or highway grid ... and to make the test fair (and add to the fun), lets see who would win without brakes, unless of course, they claim to have better brakes also!

meerzee 10-06-2007 08:43 PM

Well, I saw that commercial tonight during the LSU game!!!!! (WHAT AN AWESOME WIN!) Made me want to run out there and say, really....all of the "Pontiac" loyalists will be so pleased....Who are their target audience and do you think any of them have even heard of a Boxster before? It is ironic because I passed a black Solstice earlier today, and I was just silently thinking.......yeah, are you feeling lucky punk?

I am not trying to be so elitest, but let's keep everything in perspective....if given the choice, who in their right mind would choose the Saturn or Pontiac roadsters over a Boxster (regardless of year) --- but then you have to factor in the true cost of ownership and once again the notorious target audience....

Ahhhh....what is it about having a Boxster that makes you just want to drop the top and cruise around town at 11:30PM at night with no real intention? I think I have a problem: ATP.....(addiction to permagrin)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

blinkwatt 10-06-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerzee
Ahhhh....what is it about having a Boxster that makes you just want to drop the top and cruise around town at 11:30PM at night with no real intention? I think I have a problem: ATP.....(addiction to permagrin)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Exactly! Who knows how many times I used to go cruising in my Box,it's just that fun.

I've seen the Solstice in person before,it's weird looking and sounds funny.

rick3000 10-07-2007 08:30 AM

This is just rude advertising, but who cares.
Solstices suck in comparison to Boxsters, the trunk in the solstice is 1/5 the size of our rear trunk, and in comparison to Boxsters the suspension in solstices sucks. Plus, when was the last time you met a Pontiac loyalist.
Also, who cares about straight speed, Boxsters can make it around a windy road without braking, I would like to see a Solstice do that.

Ronzi 10-07-2007 09:11 AM

"The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down" ...

and a shabby, threadbare thing it is.

Advertisers since the first Neanderthal spit soot around his fingers to make a hand print on a cave wall have been making selective comparisons against the competition. It is a great compliment that the Solstice comparison is against the Boxster. When you become the standard against which others compare their products, you've done something right.

986fan 10-07-2007 10:37 AM

The Supercharged Solstice is faster than a base Boxter?

How about against a Boxster S

If a Corvette Z06 were faster than a Ferrari 430 and you could have one.......?

Brucelee 10-07-2007 11:18 AM

Chill out, it is called marketing.

The price differentials of the cars make the comparison silly.

JCL12 10-07-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jump
I just watched a Pontiac commercial covering a number of their cars and on the screen during the Solstice segment were the words "Faster than a Porsche Boxster". Wow, decision makers in Germany, that's kind of embarrassing!

I do not see what the big deal is. Most half-decent sports cars are faster than some base boxsters. Heck, you could pickup an old base civic for 3 dimes, make pennies worth of mods and have it accelerate faster 1/4 mile or 0-60 than a box. Big deal! Even a non-modded toyota camry is faster 0-60 than my boxster.

If I got mad everytime I saw a car on the road that was faster than my autobox, I would have a heart attack in about 6 months.

brp987 10-07-2007 12:20 PM

It was a clear sunny day in So Cal yesterday. I was on my bicycle going up Boquet cyn road on a stretch known as hijinks curve. A lot of wrecks there because it's a wide road with such a gentle arc to it that you could take it flat-out. It looked like the prior night someone did. I see where someone clipped the raised center median. I ride along and trace a skid mark go 75 yds down and across 2 lanes where the car jumped the curb. Alittle further and I see a 30 by 1 ft concrete light pole lying on the ground. I was fractured in several places, held together by its internal cabling. A little further down I see a front grill with a toyota emblem on it. I figure, hmmm maybe some drunk lost it. Another 40 yds down the road I come upon an uprooted tree. Its 1 ft thick trunk was sheared in half. Nearby are several impact craters. A full 50 yds further down the road I see a Dodge Ram tailgate. Now the story is coming into focus. It was eery how the calm, pleasant day totally betrayed the terror of what ocurred there the previous night. Kind of reminded me of the opening scene of LeMans with S McQueen entranced at the freshly repaired guard rail. I don't know the outcome of the accident. Anyway - save it for the track!

Tom Blue 10-07-2007 03:13 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I posted my thoughts to that ad on a youtube site featuring the Solstice and you would not believe the posts that were posted in reply to my post. Most were very crude replies dealing with sex acts etc. I was just commenting on the the ad
campaign and not the car itself. You would have thought I was dissing people’s mothers or their religion. Then it occurred to me that most people are just as passionate about the cars that they love as we are.
ps, most of the replies spelled the Boxster, Boxter!