986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   986, 996, E46 M3 or even 987? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13551-986-996-e46-m3-even-987-a.html)

pekopeeus 10-06-2007 05:26 AM

986, 996, E46 M3 or even 987?

I bought a 2006 MK5 R32 6 months ago. Why I bought it? 250hp, AWD, DSG, R32 badge, etc. But after owning it for 6 months even with my KW V3 coilovers. I still find the car too heavy in the front and I really don't like the handling. Or maybe I just don't like a Volkswagen. Anyway, I really love the look of a boxster since my childhood. Even today I still find it sexy. Anyway, I am thinking to get a 2002+ boxster s or a good condition 996 C2 or even E46 M3. What exactly is the difference among the new model 986 and 987? I know the headlight changed, side looks a bit different to me. Rear tail light changed. Engine is different. Interior is improved. What else exactly? How about in real life driving experiences? Let's talk about real time driving not paper specs. Again, my budget is limited so I can't go too far.

p.s I live in Taiwan so there's no such a thing as a test drive on the new 987 porsches.

p.p.s I test drove a 2000 boxster s manual the other day and I absolutely loved it.

Thanks for any feed backs!

JCL12 10-06-2007 05:40 AM

Although I am going to get shot for saying this, I would personally grab an E46 M3 if you can find one in good condition. They are more practical, faster, and will have much better interiors. I speculate that handling and street braking would also be comparable between the two cars and the M3 *might* be easier to maintain.

Bambino Don 10-06-2007 05:55 AM

But the VW's prob is it feels to heavy,
That was my thought in the E46 M3, it felt too heavy, its not the nimblest of cars.
plus you cant say you drive a porsche!! ;)

James

aBsOlUt 10-06-2007 06:50 AM

Go for a 987. I love my 986S but its kinda old school interior wise. I believe besides the engine power difference the interior (and the exterior a bit...) is the main difference between 986 and 987. It is more modern and better looking imo (keep in mind I own a 986S!).

Whatever you do, get a Boxster, the handling and speed are phenomenal.

Bambino Don 10-06-2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
Go for a 987. I love my 986S but its kinda old school interior wise. I believe besides the engine power difference the interior (and the exterior a bit...) is the main ifference between 986 and 987. It is more modern and better looking imo (keep in mind I own a 986S!).

Whatever you do, get a Boxster, the handling and speed are phenomenal.

as he has said and also get the 'S' ok!!!

The interior isnt that bad btw, i dont think it is too old school, CDplayer and control stalks at the steering wheel are, but that is it!!!!

pekopeeus 10-06-2007 07:08 AM

how about the chasis? 987 must be much improved. Isn't it?

cartagena 10-06-2007 08:08 AM

*BANG!*

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCL12
Although I am going to get shot for saying this, I would personally grab an E46 M3 if you can find one in good condition. They are more practical, faster, and will have much better interiors. I speculate that handling and street braking would also be comparable between the two cars and the M3 *might* be easier to maintain.

cartagena 10-06-2007 08:11 AM

Take a look at this: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/218477A1B79EBF50CA256F4000038E91

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekopeeus
how about the chasis? 987 must be much improved. Isn't it?

djomlas 10-06-2007 09:46 AM

there was a guy at our autocross w a blue R32. he owned allllllll of us. and i mean owned us. all he has was basic mild coil over kit, but hes getting, or got, bigger turbo now. but when i t was stock w coilovers, that thing handled like a mofo and got some crazy times, he was wayy ahead of us all in porsches :(

i grew up in europe, and i love VWs, i wanna get a 1st gen really bad.

good luck in your search, but go for a few test drives and see the difference for yourself.

markk 10-06-2007 10:13 AM

I own a BMW e46 m3, a Porsche (986) BoxsterS, and a Mitsubishi EVO 8 MR RS.

Totally different cars.

The M3 is great fun for daily driving. Power, rear-wheel-drive, limited slip differential, 8k redline, nice options, very comfortable. However in my book it is not a sportscar. It is too heavy and when really pushing it you can feel the weight and a bit later the brakes failing. I never take it to a circuit. At least, not for fast driving. For drifting the M3 is the ultimate tool.

The 986S is far more sharper as a true sportscar. The convertible top provides more exposure to the elements which all adds to the fun. Compared to a 996/m3 and especially the EVO it lacks power and a limited slip differential.

It all depends on what you really want. I like the cars I own but they are totally different. I really do like my M3 but there is a lot of mystique floating around the car on the internet. I think the M3 is very good at everything (power, steering, feel, revving, daily driving, getting wife and kids somewhere, etc., etc.) but its not great at any specific points besides going sideways. The BoxsterS it very great at steering, braking, handling, etc. but could do with more power and an LSD. And being a small 2-seater it is limited in its use.

If I have to choose owning just one car I would get the M3. Its very good at a lot of things and the perfect compromise. Already owning a normal family car and getting a second fun car the M3 comes last after the BoxsterS and EVO.

Mark.

pekopeeus 10-06-2007 02:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TucaDOM6k5U

after watching this video, my R32 doesn't look too crappy. :)