986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do i really need a special tool for Oil filter change? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13543-do-i-really-need-special-tool-oil-filter-change.html)

eomak 10-05-2007 03:46 PM

Do i really need a special tool for Oil filter change?

Hi, thinking of doing oil change and was wondering before i take out the filter do i need a special tool to get the filter out? And adding a oil addative like Slick 50 or prolong to protect engine is ok? thxs . Oh and one more thing i was putting the top into server mode for engine to check air filter my first time doing it and noticed while i try to align the top angle to get at the engine lid a thick cable looking wire that looked like i was cut in half sticking straight out on the out side just under the leftside rear window in the open where the all the top would folds into that area when down.Its looks like a cable wire because all the little wires are silver like a cable. Any idea what this could be and maybe y it is cut off from some place that conects to the truck area or down into engine area?

bmussatti 10-05-2007 04:04 PM

Don't use Slick 50 or any oil additive. Use Mobil One 0W40.

Sammy 10-05-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomak
Hi, thinking of doing oil change and was wondering before i take out the filter do i need a special tool to get the filter out? And adding a oil addative like Slick 50 or prolong to protect engine is ok? thxs . Oh and one more thing i was putting the top into server mode for engine to check air filter my first time doing it and noticed while i try to align the top angle to get at the engine lid a thick cable looking wire that looked like i was cut in half sticking straight out on the out side just under the leftside rear window in the open where the all the top would folds into that area when down.Its looks like a cable wire because all the little wires are silver like a cable. Any idea what this could be and maybe y it is cut off from some place that conects to the truck area or down into engine area?

I highly recommend using the "special tool". It makes the oil change easy and you can usually find it at just about any auto parts store. Do a search for the tool to get the right dimensions and you'll be fine. I think mine cost me $6 at Advance Auto. It also allows you to torque it properly.

No need to use additives. Just use 0W40 Mobil 1 full synthetic.

eomak 10-05-2007 06:45 PM

thxs for help. Any local major tool car shop store will have?Is it a spiecal type rench i well be asking for?