Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

Dr. Color Chip

http://drcolorchip.com/

My front bumper is so peppered with rock chips I'm just about to remove it and have it resprayed... but I don't have the cash right now. So, I was thinking of trying this product. Anyone used it?

If so, what were your results?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

worked fairly ok for me but don't expect any miracles
i have a metallic paint and i'd guess that this is always a bit of a challenge, your car seems to be plain black and i'd expect pretty good results
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #3

I was in the same position, didn't want to spend the money respraying the bumper so I tried Dr. Colorchip.

I was happy with the results but don't expect to have a 'factory finished bumper'

Bill
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #4

Ditto the above.

I had several small chips that bothered me a lot (though I'm pretty sure they were so small that virtually nobody else even noticed them). Experimentally, I did some using the much more labor-intensive methods with touch-up paint, artists brushes/matches/toothpicks, super-fine sanding products, etc, and others I did with the Dr. CC.

Although I was pretty meticulous in my technique with the touch-up paint, reading like a hundred descriptions of how to do it before even starting and being super exacting in my application, I have to say I can't see a whole lot of difference. The Dr. CC (which is mind-numbingly simple) may even look better in some cases.

I should probably add: I'd be the first to admit I'm sure there are touch-up artisans out there that do the labor-intensive techniques with better results than any that I got. (Though my efforts looked passably good, I never fully perfected the sanding technique.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #5

We tried the process on my friend's black Boxster...I wasn't overly impressed with the results because it still left a crater where the chip was. We went back to the old concours method of filling, wet sanding, then polishing with an orbital.

Have you seen this method? Similar in nature, but diferent manufacturer:

http://www.langka.com/

I've read positive results with their product on other boards.

(I used to be a fairly serious concours guy a few years back).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
1JB

I've got midnight blue and have had great results using a permanent magic marker that I picked up at an arts supply store. I've filled a few, very small chips on the hood and bumper using permanent blue marker that matches the paint. You've got black so get a permanent black marker, color in the white mark and wipe off the shine that ends up on the paint around the chip. Let it dry and wax over it and unless I know where the chip was and get right up to it I never can find it. It's a piece of cake. I"ve never had any luck with touch up paint.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #7

I've used both Lanka and Dr. Colorchip and I'm impressed with the results with Dr. Colorchip. It's very easy to use and covers paint chips well.

I've won a number of Concours in the Wash and Shine class. I've never had points taken off, because of paint chips. That's because I used this product.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote