986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Sad day........(New Beginning) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13531-sad-day-new-beginning.html)

blinkwatt 10-05-2007 08:05 AM

Sad day........(New Beginning)

I just received word that my Boxster has been declared a total loss...........I was afraid of this.

I'm going today to check it out and grab my exhaust and couple of personal things in it.

Man this sucks. I didn't even wreck it doing something cool. :(

I learned sooooo much while working on it,I'l never forget it. It was the first car I owned and bought.

Gone but not forgotten.

Now for the good part.

I'm now looking for an 00-02' 986 S.
Here is what I want in it;

-6-psd.

- 35-50k miles on it,I want low mileage but not soo low I have to worry about a IMS failure

-I know this is a long shot but it's worth a try,I'm looking for a 00' Zenith Blue S,the only year they made that color. I would be willing to look at ANY color.

-Litronics a plus

-I don't care what wheels because I will change them anyways

-You have to let me take it to a dealership for a PPI

-Receipts are a plus

*I'd buy a base 00-04' 986 IF it was really special;

-3 spoke steering wheel

-same mileage

-5 spd

-litronics

-must meet me at a dealership to get a PPI done

-you have a darn good price

Thanks
Robert

Gary in BR 10-05-2007 08:18 AM

If you can get the MB Quarts I'll buy them from you.

unklekraker 10-05-2007 08:21 AM

dude, my heart is broken after reading it...I know how much time you spend on your Boxster :(

but good luck on your new beginning...at least you are staying in the Boxster families :cheers:

bmussatti 10-05-2007 08:31 AM

Robert, sorry about your car. She was a beauty!!

JP-s-in st. louis 10-05-2007 08:33 AM

sorry about your loss man. best of luck in your hunt. Mine is still for sale and I would be willing to work with you on the price.

timothy 10-05-2007 08:34 AM

Wow sorry to hear that. The damage sure didn't look that bad from your photos but I guess bean counters get the last word. Might add PSM to your list.

Gary in BR 10-05-2007 08:35 AM

Ok I feel like a heel.

Robert it does suck that your car is gone, I know I would feel like a member of my family moved on.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.

blinkwatt 10-05-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in BR
If you can get the MB Quarts I'll buy them from you.

I will try. I don't know how much time I will get to change stuff out on it.

Perfectlap 10-05-2007 08:39 AM

Do you still have the stock wheels? Maybe you can use those Carreras on the new BoxsterS?
Don't let them screw you on the pay out!
Bad news but think about it as a unexpected promotion.

blinkwatt 10-05-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
sorry about your loss man. best of luck in your hunt. Mine is still for sale and I would be willing to work with you on the price.

I would consider that but I don't think my Dad would like a car in the house faster than his 996. :D

blinkwatt 10-05-2007 08:49 AM

Do you still have the stock wheels? Maybe you can use those Carreras on the new BoxsterS?

That's a negative on the wheels,I sold the set awhile back.

Don't let them screw you on the pay out!

I won't, I've already printed out 3 ads of 99' Boxster,not as well equipped as mine,selling for $19k+. I'm hoping I to get $18k+aftermarket parts value. I'm turning over every little thing I bought for the car,the paper stack is as thick as a dictionary.

Bad news but think about it as a unexpected promotion.

Oh yeah,this is a whole new world for me! IMS failures,Evo Intakes(more resistant MAFs on the e-gas),4 cat. converters,e-gas and hopefully a 3.2L. :cool:

Perfectlap 10-05-2007 09:06 AM

wow 18K on an almost 10 year old car is purty good. You should have a pretty low monthly payment.
Funny thing is my old Miata had about 50% of purchase value in mostly performnace modifications. Had allot of fun with it and ended up getting nearly all my money back when I sold it to some die hard Miata guy. When I got the Boxster I did nothing to it in terms of performance mods and I'm still 100% satisfied with the peformance. The only performance mod I would consider is a cooler sounding exhaust but I don't consider that a REAL performance mod.
And I only buy upgrades I can sell after the fact. I hold onto all my stock parts, I might even remove the side skirts! LOL. Althoug in all honesty...I may never sell this car. The money I can get for it just will not be worth parting with it.
I have a feeling I will end up owning my BoxsterS (summer), a bargain 996 C4S(winter)a Prius (daily driver)and the new track ready RS styled Mini CooperS seems like its right up my alley.

CJ_Boxster 10-05-2007 09:28 AM

Man that sucks blink but that is pretty cool that you get to look for something new now with all your aquired knowledge of the boxster, you'll be able to find precisly what you want and not figure that out on the fly during ownership.

boxsterz 10-05-2007 09:30 AM

Wow sorry to hear that. I didn't think the damage was bad enough to be totalled, but I never got to see the other side of the car. It must've puckered that quarter pretty good.

Anyways, I would HIGHLY recommend PSM, not because you wrecked, but it's a great learning tool. It was a deal breaker for me. After reading about it I knew it was a must have. It did take longer in locating the perfect car, but well worth it. A similar decision in getting a base vs S. If you enjoy spirited driving and you can swing it, it's a no brainer.

I've seen higher mileage S's for very low 20's now. Here's a yellow one for 19k not sure if it has PSM..

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/440439360.html

There's always a silver lining :)

Happy hunting!

waynes986 10-05-2007 09:35 AM

wow i can't believe they totaled your car for the damage you showed in your pictures it looked so minor to me anyways.... unfortunately insurance companies don't pay for any modifications you added if you first didn't tell them about it... i know because i had a car stolen with a ******************** load of stuff and had all the receipts for the items but when it came down to it the insurance company did not pay for it because they were not reported therefore not insured.. my suggestion to you would be to advertise the stuff you had and sell them at a reduced price plus exchange for their part.. for example sell your wheels to someone for a few hundred dollars but they would have to swap out their wheels to put back on the car... this way you could have a couple bucks on top of the money they pay for your car. insurance company will only pay for value to the car based on what was originally on it... they won't pay for a car with litronics or 18 inch wheels if its just a "base" model.... so sell the parts for a cheaper price and have people swap their stuff out... hope this helps... and let me know what you want to sell :D

blinkwatt 10-05-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynes986
wow i can't believe they totaled your car for the damage you showed in your pictures it looked so minor to me anyways.... unfortunately insurance companies don't pay for any modifications you added if you first didn't tell them about it... i know because i had a car stolen with a ******************** load of stuff and had all the receipts for the items but when it came down to it the insurance company did not pay for it because they were not reported therefore not insured.. my suggestion to you would be to advertise the stuff you had and sell them at a reduced price plus exchange for their part.. for example sell your wheels to someone for a few hundred dollars but they would have to swap out their wheels to put back on the car... this way you could have a couple bucks on top of the money they pay for your car. insurance company will only pay for value to the car based on what was originally on it... they won't pay for a car with litronics or 18 inch wheels if its just a "base" model.... so sell the parts for a cheaper price and have people swap their stuff out... hope this helps... and let me know what you want to sell :D

if that's the case then PM your cell phone number.

JP-s-in st. louis 10-05-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I would consider that but I don't think my Dad would like a car in the house faster than his 996. :D

tell him it is just another boxster ;)

boxsterz 10-05-2007 09:58 AM

waynes986,

Not arguing with you, but that seems rediculous notifing the insurance company anytime an addition is made to the car. I'll have to check with my agent!

waynes986 10-05-2007 10:10 AM

yeah check with your agent....i'm sure he'll say the same thing.... just think about it... do you think the big time insurance company wants to pay you more for something you added without paying them... that opens the door to a lot of fraud.... its easy to get "receipts" for items....

Back2DTM 10-05-2007 10:34 AM

Hey we have a S:

Price $24,900
Mileage 26,000
Exterior Color Gray
Interior Color Black
Transmission 6 Speed Manual

Xenon headlight, Dual Power seats... dentless
If you want to drive down to LA and check the car out. PM me.
http://images.autotrader.com/images/..._A.562x421.jpg