986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear Wheel Bearing, HELP (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13467-rear-wheel-bearing-help.html)

cbenitah 09-30-2007 11:35 PM

Rear Wheel Bearing, HELP

Hi,
I need to change my right rear wheel bearing on my 2002 S, and its a bummer, but I guess it happens. he dealer asks for 850 :confused: which I have read here is way expensive. I've seen them for 250, since the part is 30 ish dollars I dont see all that work done to it. They even told me it would take 3 days in the shop to do..

Well, my question now, I need to go to Vegas this week with my girl. Can I drive on it? I hear a swosh swosh sound as the wheel turns around, but what can happen? Worst case I need to get a new wheel bearing? Well I am already doing so :D or what could happen IF worst came out?

Thanks

boxsterz 10-01-2007 12:36 AM

Lose control of the car. The wobble might be enough for severe changes in toe or camber.

RandallNeighbour 10-01-2007 05:12 AM

I recommend buying the part from Sunset and finding another mechanic who will work for you by the hour, not with a book rated job quote. Mine only charges me for the actual time he spends on the job, which is about $80 an hour.

It's about a two hour job to swap a wheel bearing. It does require a bearing puller/compression tool though, which isn't cheap to own.

jwilson95 10-01-2007 11:45 AM

If you continue to drive it (i.e.-Vegas trip)

Best case= further destroy failing bearing and potentially destroy connected equipment costing you a lot more $$$

Worst case (as stated already)= lose control of the car, more $$$, bodily injury

You should rent a 911 or a Ferrari at one of those exotic rental places in Vegas! :)

steve00s 10-01-2007 02:21 PM

I wouldn't take a chance on an extended outing like that. If it does fail, how impressed is your girl going to be sitting on the side of the freeway?

Also, I waited too long to replace a rear wheel bearing on my 928 and ended up having to replace the hub. Not sure if it is the same setup as on a Boxster but why chance it?

ultimate1 10-01-2007 09:19 PM

I had this done on my 2000 a few months back. The cost would have been about $450 or so with labor. My warranty covered it so my deductiable was only $100.

You can drive it but you run the risk of damaging your wheel hub which would easily make this a $1100 repair or so. My advise is to get that quote in writing and contact PCNA as the quote given to you is outright excessive and the job takes a few hours not a few days.

I read the horror stories and I ******************** and moan sometimes when I have to fork over the cash to fix my car but I lucked out with the dealer and service guy that I deal with. They are not perfect and sometimes I have to wait for them to get my car fixed but never a 3 day wait and I occasionally get a Cayenne to drive around in when I need to drop off the car for repairs.

boxstershorts 10-02-2007 08:48 AM

I guess preventative maintenance (greasing) wouldn't be a bad idea when you change your tires.

rebeltown 10-02-2007 01:13 PM

Bearings are NOT servicable. They are sealed for life (whatever that means). Grease fittings are virtually non-existant on new cars now-a-days.

juan986 10-02-2007 04:47 PM

I got it from pelicanparts.com for 35 and somebody installed it for 150, they should not charge you that much!

boxstershorts 10-02-2007 06:48 PM

Then I guessed wrong. Can't wait to receive my new Bentley manual.