986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ABS on the Track (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/13366-abs-track.html)

nylart 09-24-2007 06:48 AM

ABS on the Track

I had my 2000 Boxster S at the track on Saturday and under really hard braking it seems that the ABS would kick in. As this is my first track car with ABS, I never experienced that before. Is it normal? Also, is there some technique I'm missing that would prevent the ABS from taking over in these situations?

Thanks,

Art

racer_d 09-24-2007 06:52 AM

1a) It is normal, especially in bumpy brake zones.

1b) You may try different ways of applying the brakes. I found ABS engaged much more often with a hard initial application than with a "soft" initial application.

2) Not sure what tires you are running but I noticed a SIGNIFICANT drop in ABS pulses when I switched from "street" tires to nice grippy "R" compound tires.

J-RAD 09-24-2007 11:12 AM

Interesting. I rarely engage the ABS on the track.

My approach is for threshold braking that takes me right up to the point that ABS would engage. This is probably carry over from learning in a 911 SC, without ABS. Smooth, yet hard, consistently applied pressure is the key. Understanding what it takes really comes with practice.

I'd be curious to know how many people that track car their cars, consistently brake to the point of ABS activiation.

Pat 09-24-2007 11:36 AM

I commonly use ABS at the track. Not every corner, mind you, but at the end of a long straight or where maximum braking is needed (instead of just a jab to set the car). It's not EVERY time I threshold brake, but it's not uncommon.

Topless 09-24-2007 08:36 PM

Yes. Occasionally I go into ABS at the track. I like to explore my breaking limits early in the day. Usually If I stab the brakes a little too hard or if I hit a patch of sand. ABS can be a good training tool, my own HAL9000 "Sorry Dave, you've just exceeded your traction limits."

A little smoother next time, no ABS, slow in, fast out, life is good.

Bob O 09-25-2007 06:54 AM

I seem to, and try to, rarely get into the ABS on the track, unless its an oops situation. Last time I did, I'd picked up a lot of speed in the straight after exiting the entry corner perfectly, (well.. at least a lot better than previously) and didn't adjust my braking point. oops! LOL.. the instructor was also trying to apply the brakes, his right foot trying to put a hole in the floorboard. Darn.. missed the corner but kept all four on the track, barely. I think ABS is a great learning tool for where your threshhold braking point is, and where traction runs out. Topless is right... it tells you you're at the limit. Slow in, fast out..ain't it fun!

Bob

MikeBat 09-25-2007 09:57 AM

Hey there,

I track my Boxster and only once got into ABS, and that was at the end of a hummid day.

Maybe you should move your braking point back a few feet and ease on and off the brakes more gently.

Good luck out there

racer_d 09-25-2007 11:44 AM

While I understand the whole "threshold braking" concept and excecution (having been raised on NON ABS equipped cars, I see nothing wrong with the ABS engaging if conditions warrant it. Depending on the computer generation of the ABS, you may have no choice but to engage it to maximize your braking. Especially in bumpy brake zones- like Turn 1 and sometimes Turn 5 at Summit Point.

I know lots of folks preach "I never engage the abs at the track" but to me, about 99 % of them truly havent gotten the most from their brakes. ABS isn't a crutch, unless you let it become one. I prefer not to have the ABS engage (I find it distracting) but I like having it engage rather than smoking up and flatspotting a $200 tire.

Adam 09-25-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
I know lots of folks preach "I never engage the abs at the track" but to me, about 99 % of them truly havent gotten the most from their brakes. .

I feel the same way, if you aren't engaging the ABS then you are leaving something on the table and your braking distances could be shorter.

easyc 09-25-2007 07:13 PM

With my Hoosiers... Ive found my ABS is pretty much non-existent except for really slow turns... its isn't a real clutch, but I like to stay out of it

MartinJ 09-26-2007 06:48 AM

My track experience is low but my experience is that my ABS engages when I screw up (just a little too much speed or late brake) or when I suddenly jump hard on the brakes. Jumping hard on the brakes is something I am working on and have managed to reduce/eliminate. Last time at the track I decided to work on my line and smoothness. The ABS came on much less frequently, my speed improved along with my comfort level. I regard the ABS as a training aid, which stops me smoking expensive tires. Now if I could get my toe and roll downshifts to work I would be much happier!