Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #1

20 K service update

Hi guys.

I was going to send this just to Bmussatti since he asked a while back but I figured there are a couple 987 owners here that may also be curious.

I took my car over to Motor Werks in Barrington for the 20K and here are the results:

Synthetic Oil
Seal Ring
Oil - Filter Insert
Cabin - Air Filter
Air Filter Insert
Wiper Blade

Parts 177.53
Lab-Mechanical 281.97
Gas-Oil-Grease 85.50
Tax 20.38
Grand Total 565.38

Radio reception "fixed" - still poor

Passenger Window catching "fixed" - for the third time, still catches on the rare occasion I open it

My biggest issue is I paid for this service and received absolutely no update on status of any parts on my car. How is the transmission, engine, RMS, nothing. Just an invoice for essentially an oil check. My wife goes to Nissan for an oil change and comes back with a check list of what they recommend and she only pays 25 bucks for her oil change.

Also for those that remember, they did call and say I needed new front brakes and rotors ASAP. I declined the work and asked how much life they had, the direct quote is "your sensor will go off any day now."

The car went in Aug 6. almost 2 months and 1500 miles later, sensors yet to go off........I'll definitely let anyone interested know when they finally do go off.

Thanks for your time

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #2

Lightbulb

Hi, dealers don't make any profit selling cars so how are they going to make an honest living if they don't rrrrriiiiiipppppp off rich dudes like yourself.

Mr. White 987 Boxster
OK I'm Jealous
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
bmussatti

Super66, what about a brake fluid change? I think they charge about $140 for that. Aren't you due?

I take my car in there in about 3 weeks for an oil & filter change ($125), brake fluid flush ($140) and an air filter change ($?). Then it gets stored until March/April.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #4

super66, I just had my car at MotorWerks a couple of weeks ago for the 45k. I had two complaints, when I brought the car in it was spotless, when I picked it up they obviously ran it through the car wash and didn't bother to dry it and my car was covered in water spots. Also, they never called and told me my car was ready ( I dropped it off at 7:30 am ). I went to pick it up after work and no one was around. I went to the cashier, paid, and they pulled my car around. No feedback at all. When I had the car in at Rizza in Orland Park for the 30k the service writer came out and gave me the low down on everything he could think of regarding the condition of my car.

On a side note, MotorWerks did call me that morning and told me I needed new front brakes, tires, and a brake fluid flush. They quoted $850 for the front brakes and $140 for the brake fluid flush. I just got home, Sammy and I did my front brakes and flush, cost $280 for the rotors and pads and $15 for brake fluid ( thanks for saving me $700 Sammy, you're the best ! )

Bill, please don't pay them $140 for the flush ! It took us about 20 minutes to flush the brakes from start to finish, and $15 for the fluid ( Sammy did mention that perhaps with PSM, which I think if I remember correctly you have, that they need to do something electronically as well, which I guess in that case you might be stuck taking it to the dealer, I just can't believe they charge a full hour of labor ! )

Anyway, Super66, I agree with you on MotorWerks, their customer service sucks ! Bill, have a blast tomorrow in Wisconsin, sorry I won't be able to make it ( golf outing for work ). Hope to see you both next weekend for the trip to Galena ( and don't forget Randall will be in town Friday night for pizza ).

Take care everyone, and have a great weekend !

Nick

BTW - Djomlas, the new wheels look awesome ! Hope to see you at the autocross Sunday...

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 09-21-2007 at 10:17 PM.
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
THX NIck.

Sammy also did brake/clutch for me as well...went pretty smooth and not hard to do.
what dealer is asking is ridiculous.

and nick, im not sure if i want to autocross it with these lug bolts, i kinda feel that they are not as long as they should be with 5/16" spacers....but ill at least try and make it and take some pics
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #6

I wish I was rich Franco I think the dealer thinks I am for sure...lol

Hey B - not sure about the brake fluid, I thought he mentioned changing fluids and I assumed it was all part of the service, but they never said what they did other than it looks good, come pick it up, here is the invoice....

Nick - I didn't want to say it and sound like I was just complaining BUT their service does absolutely suck, I have had nothing but bad luck there....once they toook my car for a week and when I called for status, the service didn't even know it was dropped off....

I did leave 3 voicemails for the service guy before getting a call back, and I has to track it down to find out it was ready....overall I give them an F minus for service....

only problem is that they are SOOO close to my house and I get the loaner...I already filled out my first bad survey on them. I really couldn't decide if I was going to do it or not but I just did....hopefully the guy that gets it will care about it....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #7

super66,

I agree. They are right next to my office, and the loaner is nice ( although they gave me an Accord )

Don't hold your breath on getting a response from the survey. I have returned two with less than stellar comments and have never received any follow up...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote