986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Spark Plug Suggestions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12954-spark-plug-suggestions.html)

husker boxster 08-29-2007 06:36 PM

Spark Plug Suggestions

I want to change plugs this weekend. I wanted to purchase Bosch plugs but cannot find any in the local parts stores (they don't even list them for 3.2s).

Here are my options:

1. Dealer has Berus in stock for $6.50 ea.

2. Napa has NGKs in stock for $4.00 ea.

3. Pelican has Bosch for $10.50 ea.

The Bosch probably wouldn't arrive until Tues. I'm leaving on Wed afternoon to Winston-Salem, NC for the Neb - Wake Forest game (should be a fun trip for the Porsche). Not sure I want to tear into a project the night before I leave, even if it's only supposed to take an hr. If I go Bosch, I'll probably wait with changing them until after I get back from my trip.

What are the member's thoughts on the various plugs?

J-RAD 08-29-2007 07:09 PM

I just stick with the Berus. I don't think the Boschs are worth it...but that's just me.

vbhagwan 08-29-2007 07:38 PM

I just got them changed on my car, and upon asking about Berus (I'd only used/heard-about Bosch earlier), was told by the Porsche mechanic that there's virtually no difference between the two (he wasn't selling me the part, so its not like he had any vested interest).

pteam 08-29-2007 10:24 PM

How can you really tell when you need plugs and wires? Shouldnt you always do wires if your gonna do the plugs?

MNBoxster 08-29-2007 10:44 PM

Hi,

OEM are the way to go - Bosch or Beru for two reasons:

a.) They are properly indexed to the engine so far as depth and Flamefront propogation are concerned.

b.) They are the correct Heat Range - there is no Universal Standard on Spark Plug Heat Ranges and another Mfgr won't necessarily match the OEM range.

This is not so much a performance issue as it is a wear and tear one. The Plugs secondary function is to extract excess heat from the combustion chamber and pass it to the head where the coolant can carry it away. Not having the proper heat transfer can have a progressively negative effect on the Valvetrain, Pistons, etc.

So far as the wires are concerned, in the Boxster these are integral to the Coil-on-Plug pacs and fairly spendy (when you consider cost X 6) - replace as required. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

blinkwatt 08-29-2007 10:46 PM

Stick to what your dealership is selling,which should be OEM spec to your Boxster. It's not worth the 'added benefits'(if there really are any) with aftermarket plugs.

j.fro 08-30-2007 01:50 AM

I replaced mine at about 60,xxx miles and the engine smoothed out a bit. I'll add that I don't believe my engine had the proper plugs before I made the change: the old ones were a 2 electrode Bosch. I replaced them with Beru Ultra-X, UXF79 0 002 335 601. These were purchased from Zim's Autotechnik, a company who often advertises in the back of Panorama. Hope that helps out a bit.

porschedude 08-30-2007 06:46 AM

Dealer plugs are Beru. I heard Bosch may not be compatible due to heat range issues etc (do a search) even though those plugs are selling online. I have been happy with Beru...it's your safest bet with dealer plugs.

MNBoxster 08-30-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschedude
Dealer plugs are Beru. I heard Bosch may not be compatible due to heat range issues etc (do a search) even though those plugs are selling online. I have been happy with Beru...it's your safest bet with dealer plugs.

Hi,

That totally depends upon the Model Year. The 2.5L Boxsters used both Bosch and Beru plugs interchangeably.

And, you cannot trust the Dealer to have the correct ones. There have been several posts here where a Dealer sold Bosch +4 plugs for a non-egas Boxster - this is an incorrect plug. The non-egas cars use a Twin Ground as opposed to a 4 Ground plug.

Do a search for the proper plug for your car - this has been covered here ad nauseum. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim