Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2004, 07:23 AM   #1

Cool clear out headlights

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a little while now and finally decided to register and make a first time post.

I have a 99 tripple black boxster and was curious if anyone has ever tried to clear out the amber on their headlights(97-02).
I have an extra set of headlights and my friends and I plan to attempt to clear it out this weekend.
It appears to have 2-3 layers of plastic film on the headlight that have been heat baked on. 1-2 amber films and 1 clear film.
We are planning to see if we can use a heat gun to bake the film and peal it off. Also use "goo-gone" to remove any additional left over glue from the film.
Any ideas or suggestions?

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #2

I broke and took a headlight apart. The plastic is solid amber. There is no amber film or coating to remove.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #3

Is there a way to heat up the entire assembly and separate the outer glass from the housing? Say, to paint the silver part of the headlight black? I know some other cars, you can separate the glass part of the headlight by baking it at low temps.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
b0xt0La

I saw black tail lights on ebay that had been "chemically treated." What is that?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #5

It is plastic, not glass. I separated it by prying, but it destroys the headlight. I did not try heat.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Alienz
I saw black tail lights on ebay that had been "chemically treated." What is that?
They are tinted black. My friend has 2 sets. He ended up going with the clears if anyone is interested in tinted lights. They look good on a black car but his is arena red.