Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #1

My Boxster wont start

Just went to try and start my Boxster this morning and it will not turn over. Makes a sound like it wants to turn over but does not go on with it.

I don't think its the battery as everything like the lights, radio etc are working fine.
It does not have the sound like a flat battery

Anyone got any idea's???

Please Help

CHASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #2

Starter or ignition switch would be the next places I'd look if your sure the battery is fine.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #3

I have just tried jump starting the car but with no luck, still makes the same sound like it wants to start but does not.

I dont know much about this car so any info plus directions on how to check would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

If my vehicle won't start and ya got the time, I would take the starter out and take it to some place like advance or autozone to get it tested. Or you could take a chance and order the ignition switch for like $20 and install it. I've heard its pretty easy. Also heard the starter is relatively easy to get at as well (which is not something common on these cars). Wait till some others chime in...they may point you in a different direction other than the starter/ignition switch...many many knowledgable members on here.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #5

Do you mean to say that it's cranking but won't fire? If that's the case, it isn't the starter or the ignition switch. It's either spark or fuel, but in a computer controlled, fuel injected vehicle I'm afraid that doesn't narrow it down very much.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #6

Grizzly your right its doing it but wont fire.

I have even put in another Battery and still the same problem.

Last edited by CHASP; 08-25-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: More Information
Old 08-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #7

I have been told over an email from my local Porsche centre that it sounds like a Fuel Pump issue. Does anyone know how much a new Fuel Pump for a 99 Boxster is?

They also said it might be a problem with the DME, I have no idea what DME stands for. Anyone?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:06 AM   #8
boxsterz

I forgot what DME stands for, but it's the electronic brain that controls fuel and timing maps. If your motor turns over, and doesn't sputter/start, sniff the exhaust after you crank the car a few times. If it smells like gas, you're not getting a spark. You can verify this by removing a spark plug also. If it's all wet, it's the ignition system. If it's dry, then it's the fuel system. It could be a number of electrical things. A PSII tool or Durametric should be able to tell you more precisely what's wrong.

I'd imagine a fuel pump is ~$200.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #9

Check fuses. If the fuel pump fuse is blown... car no starty.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #10

Hi,

DME = Digital Motor Electronics, same thing as an ECU. The Fuel Pump issue depends upon which my you have. Early models it's just the fuel pump. Later models have the pump, filter and sender all on one stalk inside the Fuel Tank - a little spendier.

I am +1 on the ignition switch with a nagging suspicion that the Alarm Module could be involved. Has the Car gotten wet lately? Under the Driver Seat? Pressure Washed or in a driving rain?

Good Luck!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #11

It did get wet on Friday, just in sitting rain and then it wouldnt start sunday as I didnt use it on the saturday.

I have never seen my car leak inside as of yet. Its a 1999 Boxster and does not have the Porsche Alarm on it.

What one is the Fuel pump fuse on my car?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #12

mine was an ignition switch the porsche dealership said it was pretty common

spadednstuff is offline   Reply With Quote