986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My G-tech acceleration times (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12872-my-g-tech-acceleration-times.html)

blkboxster 08-24-2007 01:38 PM

My G-tech acceleration times

heres my 1st try i was shocked on how bad it was

0-10 .34

0-20 1.47

0-30 2.53

0-40 4.01

0-50 5.49

0-60 8.3 :eek:

Heres the better run, im pretty sure i can get it even lower

0-10 .6

0-20-1.6

0-30 2.66

0-40 3.63

0-50 5.09

0-60 6.4

blinkwatt 08-24-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
Heres the better run, im pretty sure i can get it even lower

0-10 .6

0-20-1.6

0-30 2.66

0-40 3.63

0-50 5.09

0-60 6.4

Funny how your(non-pro) times beat out what Porsche published.

How are you launching the car? What are you revving it to before you drop the clutch in?

J-RAD 08-24-2007 01:52 PM

There are several keys to using the G-tech with your car.

1. Don't take it too seriously. It's just a toy...for entertainment value.

2. You have to calibrate it correctly. This means setting the RPMs and calculating the weight accurately. I put my car on a DOT scale with me in it (as opposed to using on-line or magazine numbers that likely do not reflect my cars actual weight).

3. Above all, remember, Porsche's are not hammers (ie. dragsters), they're scalpels. If you want to go fast in a straight line there are better options. That said, if you have the G-tech Pro, check out the "g's" functionality.

Overall 6.4 is not bad but, you're right, you can probably do a little better. According to my site (see my signature) 6.0 is what the magazines (at least MT) were hitting.

djomlas 08-24-2007 01:56 PM

you also have to include the correct weight of the car with you in it, did you do that?

blkboxster 08-24-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
you also have to include the correct weight of the car with you in it, did you do that?

yep, i was also with my brother so i had to add him to, and i did calibrate the rpm and its on exactly correct with tach, i know i can bring that number way down, i launched at about 2500 rpm, if i launch a little harder i think i can hit 6.0 flat, just stay tuned until tomorrow :D

blue2000s 08-24-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-RAD
There are several keys to using the G-tech with your car.

1. Don't take it too seriously. It's just a toy...for entertainment value.

2. You have to calibrate it correctly. This means setting the RPMs and calculating the weight accurately. I put my car on a DOT scale with me in it (as opposed to using on-line or magazine numbers that likely do not reflect my cars actual weight).

3. Above all, remember, Porsche's are not hammers (ie. dragsters), they're scalpels. If you want to go fast in a straight line there are better options. That said, if you have the G-tech Pro, check out the "g's" functionality.

Overall 6.4 is not bad but, you're right, you can probably do a little better. According to my site (see my signature) 6.0 is what the magazines (at least MT) were hitting.

1. It's actually VERY accurate in acceleration times. What it reads is what you've done.

2. Calibration for acceleration is easy, just be sure that it's held firmly in place and it's level when the car is level. Also be sure that the road is level and there is no wind or that you are doing 2-way trials. You only need weight and RPM for power calculations, it's not used for acceleration calculations. You can put in 10 pounds for weight and the acceleration and speeds won't change.

bmussatti 08-24-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
yep, i was also with my brother so i had to add him to, and i did calibrate the rpm and its on exactly correct with tach, i know i can bring that number way down, i launched at about 2500 rpm, if i launch a little harder i think i can hit 6.0 flat, just stay tuned until tomorrow :D

Tomorrow's posts from you will be titled; "I Think I Need a New Clutch" and the other one will be "Where Can I Get The Best Prices On New Tires"!! :)

Take care & be safe! :)

blkboxster 08-24-2007 02:17 PM

HAHAHAHHAH, thats the only post ive seen on this forum that really made me laugh out loud, :D

:cheers:

Grizzly 08-24-2007 03:29 PM

0-60 in 8.3? How many shifts did you miss?

You had your brother with you? You realize that every 100lbs in weight reduction equals a tenth of a second in the quarter, right? Leave your brother home and you're down to 6.3 0-60. Perfect your launch and you're down to 6.1 (the first 60 feet determines how your whole run is going to turn out). Powershift and you're in the 5.9 range, but you may also be going to HBL for a clutch fork and syncros.

J-RAD 08-24-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
1. It's actually VERY accurate in acceleration times. What it reads is what you've done.

I never said it wasn't. I've got one, I know. ;) :)

Adam 08-24-2007 04:32 PM

6.4 is pretty impressive considering you had dead weight in the passenger seat and you launched at a lowly 2,500 rpm. My boxster S bogs if I launch it that low...so I'm sure you're 2.5L would. Try revving higher and slipping the clutch a little instead of just dumping it.

wanna986 08-24-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
6.4 is pretty impressive considering you had dead weight in the passenger seat and you launched at a lowly 2,500 rpm. My boxster S bogs if I launch it that low...so I'm sure you're 2.5L would. Try revving higher and slipping the clutch a little instead of just dumping it.

What rpm do yo use to launch, Adam?

Adam 08-24-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanna986
What rpm do yo use to launch, Adam?

I usually take it pretty easy on the car and launch at around 3k rpm say when taking off when I do autocross or the occasional *cough*street race*cough*, but that's only because I don't want to roast my clutch. I don't dump it, but quickly let out the clutch while feeding in throttle to get a halfway decent jump. If I do it right I chirp the tires just a bit without much or any wheel hop. If I let out the clutch too quickly or give it full throttle right away the back end gets out of shape or I get wheel hop pretty bad. l'd probably shave off a couple tenths by going to 4 or maybe even 5k rpm and slipping the clutch more, but that will wear out the clutch pretty quickly if done on a regular basis. It also depends on the surface I am starting from. On some asphalt roads I can be rolling at 20mph and just stab first and the back end gets all out of shape but on concrete it won't. So there are many factors that come into play.

Brucelee 08-25-2007 07:03 AM

No offense here but what is the point? The Boxster is certainly no drag car and its real forte is on the twisties. Plenty of $25K cars can hammer your box in a drag race.

Why not invest in a road race school and take the car to the track, where there is less risk for everyone?

Best peformance mod for a car is a better driver.

Good luck!

:)

blkboxster 08-25-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
No offense here but what is the point? The Boxster is certainly no drag car and its real forte is on the twisties. Plenty of $25K cars can hammer your box in a drag race.

Why not invest in a road race school and take the car to the track, where there is less risk for everyone?

Best peformance mod for a car is a better driver.

Good luck!

:)

theres alot, i like to know what 0-60 time a i can achieve , i been to tons of driving classes, and track days at summit point,and im not a idiot to test my times in a busy street, and driving in a straight line wont danger anybody,

:cheers:

boxsterz 08-25-2007 11:45 AM

Those times sound about right to me. Make sure you do the self leveling procedure correctly, and the weight is reasonable. I believe the rpm calibration is for the shift light and hp graphs. It's not needed in ET's.