986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My 'Baby' is up for Sale (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12863-my-baby-up-sale.html)

drburton 08-24-2007 07:47 AM

My 'Baby' is up for Sale

Sadly, my Boxster is currently listed on Autotrader :( I love the car and don't really want to part with it but it just isn't fitting into my life right now.

The Boxster is a third 'fun car' for the summer in my household. However, given I have two kids under the age of 3, finding time to actually drive the car has been a challenge. I almost have to make excuses to run errands just to get the car out. I finally hit a point where I just don't think it makes sense to have such an expensive car just depreciating in the garage, so I'm hoping she can find a better home.

The link to the listing is below. If you know anyone interested in the car, send them my way. I'm putting it up at a very reasonable price given this car has been pampered.

I think I secretly hope it doesn't sell.

My thought on cars in the future is to maintain two cars if possible. I think I may consider looking at the BMW M3 Sedan when it comes out or the AMG C63. That way I will have a car I can drive on a daily basis (the kids will fit in it) and I can also enjoy the sports car aspect and try to do some track events.

I'll let everyone know when it sells.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=227797101&dealer_id=60809143&car_ye ar=2005&model=BOXSTE&num_records=25&make2=&start_y ear=2005&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certifi ed=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both& distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&ma ke=POR&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearc hform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max _mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address =55337&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission =&max_price=&cardist=0

bmussatti 08-24-2007 07:53 AM

That sucks, Drburton!

J-RAD 08-24-2007 07:55 AM

Pfft....sell it?! Get real! ;)

Just give me a call. I'm essentially in the same situation. I'll help you come up with some good excuses to help it stretch it's legs a bit more often and get over that "garage queen" status. ;) :)

blkboxster 08-24-2007 07:55 AM

trade it in for a carrera :D

J-RAD 08-24-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
trade it in for a carrera :D

It's been done before! My buddy sold his 'S' a couple months ago and replaced it with a 996 Cab. - complete with car seat, slushbox (so his wife can drive it too), and all. :)

http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploa...3784_thumb.jpg

blkboxster 08-24-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-RAD
It's been done before! My buddy sold his 'S' a couple months ago and replaced it with a 996 Cab. - complete with car seat and all. :)

perfect i already found him the car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-LETS-DEAL-04-911-CARRERA-CABRIOLET-21K-6SPD-FAC-WAR-XENON-50-995_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10156QQihZ019QQitem Z290153418948QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

super66 08-24-2007 08:28 AM

man that's pretty cheap!!! altho after the 987 interior, the 911 will probably make Dr Burton nauseous :D

Dr Burton, you can't fool me, you are trying to get your hands on a white one aren't you!!

porsche986spyder 08-24-2007 08:29 AM

Is this the same owner whos wife hit the parking block and messed up the front bumper? I know you fixed it, but is it noticable? Seems like it should be taken into consideration. :eek:

efahl 08-24-2007 08:47 AM

I have heard of this concept, "sell a car", but have never been able to wrap my mind around it... My wife mentions it all the time, but I guess that I'm more of a "buy a car" kind of guy.

Dr. Kill 08-24-2007 10:06 AM

Sorry to hear you will be selling your car Doc. I think there have been several other members who have sadly gotten rid of their boxsters but continue to post here anyway. I hope you will follow suit. Once a Porsche guy, always a Porsche guy I say...

Still, it is not too late to change your mind. I had a '74 Carrera once that was expensive to maintain and I "didn't need it" - sold it about 13 years ago and have been kicking myself ever since...

drburton 08-24-2007 10:20 AM

To address some of the comments:

I did consider the 911 as a possible alternative since it has a back seat. However, after taking a really close look at them the back seat is really so small it is barely usable. Given I'm 6'1 and need the seat set back a bit, the kids would have very limited space. Also, it would be pretty inconvenient to not have 4 doors, not to mention where would you put a double stroller.

Regarding the bumper, yes this is the car that hit a parking curb. Since the 'dent' popped right back out there is just a scratch on the very bottom part of the bumper. It is barely visible but would probably be noticed by a meticulous Porsche owner. I fully plan to disclose that to any potential buyers. Given the car has been otherwise perfectly maintained I wouldn't think this scratch would really be a big factor in the purchase decision.

I do plan to continue to visit the forum. Not sure how long it will take to sell the car, but even after it is sold I'll be around. Who knows, maybe I'll end up buying another one down the road (yes, probably a white one :D )

boxsterz 08-24-2007 11:19 AM

Kids got it too easy these days, scrunching up your knees builds character! 911 is the perfect compromise vehicle :D

Dr. Kill 08-24-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxsterz
Kids got it too easy these days, scrunching up your knees builds character! 911 is the perfect compromise vehicle :D

Unfortunately, this isn’t entirely true. Picking up a 911 was my line of thinking too when my daughter was born, but I figured out that this just isn’t practical either. It isn’t that I was worried that she wouldn’t have enough leg room back there, it’s that you just can’t fit a rear-facing car seat in a space that small without pulling your seat so far forward you could steer with your eyebrows.

racer_d 08-24-2007 11:32 AM

I am reminded of a Porsche (986) add slogan at times like this:

"The more kids you have, the more practical it becomes"

Remember, you don't always need to bring the kids with you.. nor does she. All it takes is about 20-30 days a year.. those "perfect days" to make you realize you are foolish to sell it.

J-RAD 08-24-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
I am reminded of a Porsche (986) add slogan at times like this:

"The more kids you have, the more practical it becomes"

Remember, you don't always need to bring the kids with you.. nor does she. All it takes is about 20-30 days a year.. those "perfect days" to make you realize you are foolish to sell it.

Isn't that true. After seeing the car, people occasionaly ask: You can't fit the wife and two kids in there, can you? To which I respond, "That's exactly why I drive it and that's why it's called a fun car!" :D

Seriously though, I have two very young ones that are really learning to appreciate the car and it's fun. They know it's something special. They love to sit in my lap and "drive" as we pull it in and out of the garage. They ask to help wash it. I'm going to start bringing them to the track with me next year too. Good bonding time. :)

drburton 08-24-2007 11:57 AM

racer_d, you have a good point and I expect I will feel some level of remorse once the car sells.

I will likely return to the Porsche family at some point in the future and maybe wisely investing the proceeds from this sale will put me in a position to go for a 911 Turbo or GT3 :D