Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #1

Good "OTC" detailing products???

I picked up my 98 986 6 weeks ago and have not had time to order the Zaino products I often see recommended here; and really want to clean and wax her this weekend.

Are there any readily available "Over The Counter" products (at AutoZone or Target) that will do a good job in bringing my Arctic Silver Boxster back to life (especially after she was haphazardly parked under a streetlight that was apparently very popular with the local pigeons. YUCK!!)

Thanks

sonvolt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM   #2

some may disagree with me but as far as results the OTC stuff will give you just as good a result as any of the expensive brands. Now bear in mind I said results.
A Zaino or Werkstatt or Klasse car parked next to a Mother's or Meguiar's car can only be distinguished by brand if a very experienced detailer is doing the judging...MAYBE.
The OTC stuff has the pretty much the same basic ingredients as the boutique brands. Just read the label. The difference is that OTC stuff sold to newbies is toned down a few notches to make it idiot proof. No problem there it just means you have to do a little more washing, claying and compounding/swirl removing(if necessary) to get a boutique grade good result.

Go to autozone or Peboys and buy a jar of the Gliptone or Blue Magic Clay bar.
Use the suds from the car wash soap as lubrication. Wash the car again to clear off the paint. 3M Rubbing compound(for light colored cars) with a foam applicator is a good follow up.
I'd get a creeper stool for this part because its the time intensive part. You're bascially doing paint correction at this point so don't rub hard or rush it. Once it hazes over use a Quick Detailing spray like the Mothers or Meguiars stuff to remove the compound. Take an aspirin.

Follow the compounding with a paint cleaner (polish). The Meguiar's stuff is excellent as is the Mother's Reflections line. Again use the foam applicator. Spray the surface with the quick detailer. Apply the polish, let it haze and respray. Using speed not pressure remove the polish. Take another aspirin. This removes the rubbing compound that might have been left behind and you now have clean paint.

If you live near a NAPA store I would suggest trying the Duragloss wax and/or Aqua Wax Spray. Excellent no-frills brand for your wax topper.

spend your money on towels. Those are expensive, I try not to spend more than $4 per towel. ChemicalGuys.com have some excellent towels at 2 and 3 bucks a towel.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-31-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

Perfectlap,

Thanks tremendously for the intensive detailing instruction. If you don't mind, please tell me if this is correct; I;ve broken you directions down to steps:

1. Wash Car
2. Clay bar (using wash suds)
3. Quick detail spray to clean off clay bar remnants
4. 3M rubbing compound
5. Quick detail spray again (as opposed to simply toweling off??)
6. Paint cleaner
7. Quick detail spray yet again
8. Polish
9 Quick detail spray yet yet agian
10. Duragloss wax/spray

Done!!
Whew!!

Any chance of getting this done in less than an hour ?? Just Kidding

What about OTC products for the tires and rims? I have the Meguiars Hot Shine but it stains my driveway.

Thanks again.

Last edited by sonvolt10; 08-31-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #4

Perfectlap I think you're right on. I would also advise using the two bucket approach to washing the car. Rinse the sponge or washing rag in a clean water bucket and the return to the carwash bucket. Keep any possibility of particles that can sratch to a minimum. After claying the car I really have had success with 3M Handglaze to prepare the surface and I think you can buy this OTC. I also have found most of the premium "mothers" products to work pretty well on German paint. The real key to this is patience. Take your time and observe immediate results., if not achieving desired shine change strategy! I have a '97 and work on the finish every week. Just had the car professionally polished and the body man could not belive my car was 11 years old. It's all in the prep and your level of dedication (patience!) My 986 is to me a hobby and it is always sparkling. I have tried almost every product mentioned on this Forum and am a confirmed Zaino guy. When I first got the car, however, I did the following: 1. Clay the car; 2. 3M handglaze, : 3. 1One Grand Blitz Wax also "over the counter". The results were great but not long lasting like Zaino. Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wash

Mother's Clay Bar Kit

Mother 3-Step system

That will get your Box shining and it won't put a dent in your wallet. As PL said invest in some good towels.

I went to Linens-N-Things and bought the biggest,soft,100% cotton Made in the U.S.A. towel I could find. Cost $20 but I cut in two and now I have two high quality car washing towels. I dry the car off with a leaf blower then finish up with Black Magic drying towel to pick up anything that's left over.

As for washing & drying the bottom parts and wheel well inner region I use my old microfiber towels to wash and dry those regions cause they can get dirty as heck. There no way you want to use the same towel on the upper section that's touched the lower sections.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt10
Perfectlap,

Thanks tremendously for the intensive detailing instruction. If you don't mind, please tell me if this is correct; I;ve broken you directions down to steps:

1. Wash Car
4. 3M rubbing compund
6. Paint cleaner
8. Polish
10. Duragloss wax/spray

Done!!
Whew!!

What about OTC products for the tires and rims? I have the Meguiars Hot Shine but it stains my driveway.

Thanks again.
Tire shine stuff generlly sucks! But some OTC stuff works pretty well IMHO! Most of the spray-on foam products clean the sidwalls and produce a deep black appearance without the annoying glossy shine. They still will leave streaks on your driveway...do it in the street! Have fun and experiment...ther are 1,000 opinions on this topic.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Perfectlap,

1. Wash Car
4. 3M rubbing compund
6. Paint cleaner
8. Polish
10. Duragloss wax/spray

Done!!
Whew!!

Thanks again.
ha ha its the 100% OTC project!

step #3 should be wash car a 2nd time. Maybe just the paint. By the way, don't get soap on the canvas top. Rinse only.

When I say "Quick Detail spray" I mean you should lubricate a dry surface before applying and then removing product. Two benefits: 1-you get the spit shine effect (like when they shine your shoes using a water sprayer bottle) and 2-you lubricate the paint before rubbing on it. You want to avoid initial contact with dry paint as much as possible, particularly when its dusty/dirty. One reason I and others don't use a dry duster to remove outdoor debris.

For your wheels Meguiar's has an excellent cleaner but I don't think its sold OTC. It's part of their Pro Line. (Wheel Brightener). Clay bar the wheels if you have spoked wheels instead of mesh. The Eagle One Wheel Cleaner in the silver bottle does a very good job and is clear coat safe. For the tires I don't like a baby oil shiny finish. I use FK1 top kote but they only sell direct, no OTC retail. Stoners or 303 Protectant look good. so does Meguiars Insane Shine.

don't forget to clean the barrell of the wheel. Makes all the difference. Spray inside, let it soak and use one of the those long spoke brushes to clean them out.
I'd wax it too if you can get your hand in there, makes future cleanings quicker.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #8

I use the same general procedure

Wash and dry car. I clay it once a year or so, and the directions above are good. Just follow the directions on the box and you'll be fine. (When they say use lots of lubricant they MEAN it) Then...3M swirl mark remover to get out the bigger imperfections that inevitably show up, especially on a black car, followed by.. Menzerna final polish II, then Menzerna glaze to finish the prep work. I use Maguires High Tech Wax, two coats of P21S, and finally a misting of Maguires detail spray. All of this generally takes a couple of days to do. Don't rush through it and you'll be fine. When I finish, WOW it looks brand new...01 with 56K, driven all the time. Unfortunatly, since its a dark car, it only looks that way for a short while. Buy dayummmmm does it look good when its freshly detailed. Most top brands of polishes, glazes and waxes do a pretty good job these days. But just remember, its all the in prep work that goes into it BEFORE you apply these products that makes all the difference.

Have fun with it

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #9

by the way, if you can find them, the Mother's waffle weave towels and microfiber towels are top notch. Just a bit expensive since they are OTC retail and not mail order bulk. Those generic microfiber towels sold at Pepboys and Autozone are nothing more than over-priced rebranded janitorial towels.
Which is the last thing you want to use on your paint. The hooked fibers are overkill for smooth paint. Those towels are meant to clean tile floors not well maintained expensive paint surfaces. Use the short nap side of any microfiber towel as much as possible. The prickly side never really comes clean for me even after two washes with the extra spin cycle. which is why I'm gravitating toward waffle weave for buffing and quick detailing.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advice gents.

Man, I never knew detailing the car would be this involved and intensive.

Looks like my 8-5 job is going to be a real inconvenience.

Perfectlap, just so I'm clear (no pun intended), are you suggesting that the car should be wet and lubricated with the quick detailing spray as I apply the compound/wax and polish?

Thanks

Last edited by sonvolt10; 08-31-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice gents.

Man, I never knew detailing the car would be this involved and intensive.

Looks my 8-5 job is going to be a real inconvenience.

Perfectlap, just so I'm clear (no pun intended), are you suggesting that the car should be wet and lubricated with the quick detailing spray as I apply the compound/wax and polish?

Thanks
Get a lawn chair and enjoy your work! There are not many things in the world more beautiful than a fully detailed Boxster! Have FUN!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #12

What blinkwatt and P/L said is exactly what i did....

*Major Wash

Wash with Dawn

Mothers Clay Bar Kit

Mothers 3 Step

*Quick Wash

Wash with Meguiars soap

Spray with Meguiars Quick Detailing while Drying

Wax with Meguiars NXT (one panel at a time)

Spit Shine Process while removing wax

*i still need to buy a second bucket and Griots

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote