Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #1

Buying a PST2

Hi, I am pretty upset about the Dealer charging me 100$ for a single small PST2 Usage. I was thinking maby buying one. I think those things are'nt cheap. but the only garage here that got one is the dealer, I could maby rent it to other small garage here and get it paid back. Plus I could play with my car without going to the dealer each time I wanna look something.

I was wondering.. If I buy a PST2, is there a sort of lisence I need to pay each year or it's a one time expense?

I think they Releases the PST3, will the PST2 work with newer porsche car? Specially with the 987?

Should I wait a year that the pst3 get stablized so each dealer will sell their and the price will drop?

Can they be used on other car? or orther brand?

Could it worth it?

What do you think about that?

Last edited by vipola; 08-23-2007 at 07:14 AM.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
PST2's I believe sell fore $2000+, and you have to get regular updates to use them on newer cars and the updates cost a lot of $$$. Unless, you have a fleet of Porsches and never plan on upgrading to a 987 it would be a pointless investment.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #3

okay PST2 don't work with 987? if it's the case it solve my question right away.. :P
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #4

I can't beleive no-one had yet reverse engeenered that tool to produce a software that can run on a normal PC, just like any ODB II tool.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #5

The PST2 was discontinued a few years ago and replaced by the PIWIS. The last software version for the PST2 was 24.0. PST2 does not work on 2005 up.

There have been claims that in Europe there is a software version higher than 24 that will work on the newer cars, but there has been no proof. In the US it stopped at 24 and is no longer supported. At one time we thought we could use the PIWIS software to update the PST2 but that came to nothing.

The PST2 was hacked several years ago and then the clones came out. Sometimes it is done on a notebook. Sometimes it is done on a Bosch KTS 500. Either way you need an interface card and that was the big expense at one point in time when the clones first came out.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #6

For my money, Durametric is the way to go right now. It doesn't have some of the cool features like the PST2, but it's extremely functional given the cost.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #7

Rodger: Durametric look sweet and not too expensive, but It don't allow me to turn on/off the child seat deactivation bar. And I am trying to do a few test to 'fake' a deactivation bar with a switch and few resistances.

Tool Pants: is it possible to find those software somewhere? for the interface card, it is probably pretty close of a ODB II Interface Card? witch is pretty cheap now on ebay.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #8

The clones usually get chased off US ebay. You can find them on UK or German ebay. Sometimes it is done on a notebook, sometimes on a KTS 500.

This is an interface card. At one time Porsche wanted something like $2,200 for the card. It is just a Bosch card used in a KTS 500.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #9

Theses Card don't seems very expensive, the 3com you got there is about 10$ on ebay, the Bosch one is a little higher, but still resonable price.

you think that putting one of those in a laptop,
I could maybe find a copy of the PST2 Software and make it work?

even a KTS 500 is a few hundret dollars..

Last edited by vipola; 08-23-2007 at 10:42 AM.