Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #1

19" wheels without PASM?

I am ordering my second 987S with 19" wheels and am considering not ordering PASM this time around. I never intend to take the car on the track, and it will not be my daily driver. I had PASM on my 2006 987S and found it to be comfortable in normal mode, but thought sport mode was too harsh. In reading other threads some believe PASM is a must with 19" wheels. My question is: For normal or spirited driving, is PASM truly a must on a 987S with 19" wheels or is the 987S still well balanced and composed with 19" wheels without PASM?
vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #2

I can't imagine that the size of the rim would have anything to do with needing PASM or not. I would assume the non PASM spring rate and shock rate would be very similar if not identicle to the non sport mode on PASM. Wheels should not be a factor as it should ride the same as a car with PASM in the normal mode. I just lowered my car with H&R springs, (07) with PASM, and 19's. It actually makes the car ride a little smoother, or less jittery in normal mode, and tight, but not rough in sport mode. I think with or without PASM you will be just fine.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DUB
I can't imagine that the size of the rim would have anything to do with needing PASM or not. I would assume the non PASM spring rate and shock rate would be very similar if not identicle to the non sport mode on PASM. Wheels should not be a factor as it should ride the same as a car with PASM in the normal mode. I just lowered my car with H&R springs, (07) with PASM, and 19's. It actually makes the car ride a little smoother, or less jittery in normal mode, and tight, but not rough in sport mode. I think with or without PASM you will be just fine.
I think he needed confirmation that a 987 w/o PASM will ride the same as one fitted with PASM and driven in normal mode. If they do not ride the same, i.e. different spring rates and shock damping, then perhaps he would seek out the softer setup for 19s.

P-DUB: Did you replace your shocks as well? And if so, which ones did you go with?
BOXZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
1JB

Do a search here. There was a thread within the past month or so on this. The consensus from those who actually have 19s without PASM seemed to be that 19s without PASM were just fine. I think it's another case of "internet lore" that you need PASM with 19s perpetuated by a few who shelled out the extra money. When I test drove them I really couldn't tell a difference between the 18s and 19s without PASM. Sport mode with PASM was uncomfortable.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses, it is appreciated. Well, the best way to find out is to drive one, and that's what I did today, by test-driving two 2007 987 S's, one with 18" wheels and one with 19" wheels and both with no PASM. Both were great, as neither car was harsh or jittery and both handled superbly.
Thanks,
Vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote