Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #1

Side Air vent removal

Can anyone guide me on how to remove the side air vents on a 2006 Boxster, since these do not have the screw at the top. What is the new method?

JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
1JB

Take it to the dealer. That's what I ended up doing after 3 days of frustration and numb fingers. The dealer darn near broke them getting them off and was only able to do so because they absolutely knew what they were doing was correct.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #3

Wink removed my 08' yesterday

JoeR,
I just took mine off my new '08 boxster yesterday. My car is guards red and the vents are silver ( Porsche wanted $1100 to order red to match the car ). I took them to my local body shop and they will paint for me for $150.00. Anyway, to your question. It is a difficult process but can be done, here's how:

The vents have two small tabs at the top of the vent to vent opening. Pull down on the vent ( at the top vane ) till you can get your fingers on the top of the vent edge. Pull down and out which will seperate the top of vent from the panel ( you will see the two small tabs ). This is where it gets difficult. Continue to pull out and down. The vent will bend but will not break -- trust me. It will eventually come loose with a " pop ". It takes more force than you would think. I removed the drivers side first with some effort. The passenger side took several tries before I was able to " pop " it loose. Let me know how you do.
mkgonza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #4

Whoever makes a video of this procedure will become an Internet God. People keep asking about how to do this over and over and over again...
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #5

Smile pictures on Renntech forum

Go to Renntech forum, under 987 boxster / cayman. You will have to go back a couple of pages ( to page 4 ) as this was posted some time ago, but someone actually documented how he took off his vents ( with pictures ). I think the articule title is " mystery of side vent removal ". You will see a pictoral depiction of my verbal instructions i posted earlier. Good luck -- you can do it. Just go out in the garage and pull the top out first and then the pull down and out at the center while pulling out at the top and IT WILL POP OUT !
mkgonza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #6

hilarious thread......hey maybe we can make a sticky of this one because this question has com up a biilion times on here...I think I myself asked 3 times

Take it to the dealer. That's what I ended up doing after 3 days of frustration and numb fingers. The dealer darn near broke them getting them off and was only able to do so because they absolutely knew what they were doing was correct.

this is very true!!!! fingers were numb for days!!!! but I got them off....

eslai
Whoever makes a video of this procedure will become an Internet God. People keep asking about how to do this over and over and over again...

ha...true again, however my video would have been the what not to do video....a bunch of swear words beeped....me launching a step ladder half way across the yard when I scratched the paint, me putting the step ladder back together realizing I was an idiot for breaking another thing....waiting 5 days for touch up paint after I drove to the dealer that supposedly had it in stock...lol...and on and on...the complete idiots guide to changing vents....

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote